Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

natesymer

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2012
New Jersey
My epic setup:

MacBook Pro 13" with dual SSDs and my 11" MacBook Air. Not to mention my IKEA desk. :p

img0037wu.jpg

AlmightyMac

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
Las Vegas

micrors4racer

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2012
Sold my 2 Dells and finally got something I have always wanted since they first came out. Looking for another one to run dual displays.

IMG_0005_zps34220656.jpg
IMG_0006_zpsf2e531f6.jpg

Don't mind the carpet. Office is in a makeshift room in the garage and the carpet needs to be replaced ;)

Cancelled
May 16, 2010
Sold my 2 Dells and finally got something I have always wanted since they first came out. Looking for another one to run dual displays.

nice, I've always liked these aluminum cinema display better than the current ones for better design/matte screen. I'm looking for one of these for me as well, but I may be going for the 23 or the 30inch model. yours looks like its the 20inch one right?

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
Sent the iMac that i had previously back as it had a graphics card issue and got a new Mac mini instead. :)
8300866722_d2c50411f2_b.jpg

Paul Graham

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2011
Plymouth UK
Nice a fellow Hifiman HE-400 owner :) I see you have a nice little Schiit stack there too.

Does look pretty spanking!

Im yet to try out HifiMan or Schitt but Im hoping to in the new year.
After I get my HD600's lol.

----------

I've been lurking around this thread for a while now. I finally got my setup together so I decided to post. Here you go...

What headphones are they in the shelf?

octatonic

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2010
London
Nothing much has changed for me since I took this, except I now have a 2012 13" MBA instead of the 11".
I mostly use the Mac Pro in the studio though.

IMG_0985.jpg

micrors4racer

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2012
nice, I've always liked these aluminum cinema display better than the current ones for better design/matte screen. I'm looking for one of these for me as well, but I may be going for the 23 or the 30inch model. yours looks like its the 20inch one right?

Yes mine is a 20 inch scored it for $50 :D. I like these a alot better than my P2412H Dells because they were TN panel and I have always loved the design on these compared to newer monitors. I have a thunderbolt display also so I can make direct comparisons. Only thing I wish it had was LED backlighting.

My old setup
IMG_0142-1_zps7ee745cb.jpg

Missing having dual monitors though can't wait to find another.

Seriously considering those B&Ws. How do you like them?

i'd like to know this as well as I have been thinking of buying them

They are superb speakers. The sound staging on them is awesome because of the USB DSP built in. They just disappear and the sound comes directly from the center. The built in speakers on my thunderbolt display are no where close. Sometimes I wish they had a little more on the low end but you can only notice that if you compare the sound to when it has a sub hooked up and then you turn the sub on and off. It does not have native support for a sub but I hooked one up to the sound output of my mac and then configured a multi-sound setup in the midi utility to enable the sub. Rarely use it though as the 2 speakers are find by themselves for most music listening.

Cancelled
May 16, 2010
Yes mine is a 20 inch scored it for $50 :D. I like these a alot better than my P2412H Dells because they were TN panel and I have always loved the design on these compared to newer monitors. I have a thunderbolt display also so I can make direct comparisons. Only thing I wish it had was LED backlighting.

My old setup
Missing having dual monitors though can't wait to find another.

Yeah I know they don't have LED backlighting but I've used a couple of them and they still have an amazing image quality/display backlighting to me for being a 7+ years old technology. also $50 is a great score, for that price you should really go and make a dual or even triple 20" cinema display setup :cool:

NVRENUF!

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
PERTH, Australia

ImageImage

Don't mind the carpet. Office is in a makeshift room in the garage and the carpet needs to be replaced ;)

Mate love the Cable concealment good job, is that fish tank Marine ?
whats with the low water level ?

you also running a couple towers and a mini yeah ?

micrors4racer

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2012
Mate love the Cable concealment good job, is that fish tank Marine ?
whats with the low water level ?

you also running a couple towers and a mini yeah ?

Thanks! I hid the cables with velcro straps behind the desks' supporting pipes in the back.
Yes it is a saltwater tank. Water level was low on the first shot because I was doing a water change and snapped the picture while waiting for the new water to heat up.

2nd older picture was because I had just gotten my new Vortech Marine pump and was testing out its wave function hence the torrential storm inside :D

I am running a 2012 mba connected to the cinema display now. But yes I did used to have a mini connected to my 2 dells. 1 of the G5 towers under the table are functional and the other has been gutted and I put my windows gaming rig inside.

xMClass

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2011
California

Looks so different now. Hi, Jason Bourne!

Last edited:

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
Well, I'm a back-in-the-day Mac user. My last mac ran OS 8 when I got it, upgraded it to OS 9. It was a Power Computing Power Tower Pro (those oddball ones where Apple did license Mac OS on third party computers for a short while) Also had various performas, PowerMacs, etc.

But, I've returned. I'm quite happy to be back on the OSX platform. Just re-arranged my desk. I've got some serious cable management and cleanup work to do, but I've got it at a usable setup for now. Unfortunately, I also broke my office chair, and the 27" Cinema Display is waaaay up 'er. So my neck is straining looking up at a display from a chair stuck in the bottom position!

2012-12-23

I have a homebuilt PC there too. I'm not MUCH of a gamer, but, I guess a little bit. I built it for gaming and also just, in general, a powerful platform. I do enjoy gaming now and again. Built it a couple years ago, specs are;

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE @ 3.4GHz
4GB DDR3 RAM
500GB main HDD and a 1TB RAID 1 setup
ATi Radeon HD5870

You can see it in red in the bottom corner. It drives the 23" display on the right, and due to the 5xxx series incompatibility with the ACD, I'm waiting on an active adapter to adapt mini displayport to DVI-D. Then, it will drive both displays when I'm using it. You can see that white cable wrapped around the left side of the desk, that'll connect the ACD to the PC (it's a USB + Mini DP extension) so that I can easily switch from the MBP to the PC.

Then, of course, we have the MacBook Pro. When I bought it, I bought it along with 16GB of DDR3 RAM, and 2 Crucial M4 SSD's that I have setup in RAID 0. 8gbps read speed. Wonderful.

I also have a bit of a home theater setup in there, Pioneer head unit, sherwood speakers. Great for everything, LOVE listening to music on it. I don't currently have a way to attach the MBP to it, I'd like to find a USB sound card with optical out that'll work with the Mac.

Then, we've got the 27" Apple Cinema Display. That's not the thunderbolt display, you CAN still get the Cinema display, it's just kind of hidden in Apples website. I wanted the compatibility with my PC though and though some have gotten it to work, I think my chances are better with the ACD. Without USB 3.0, the thunderbolt display doesn't offer me much. At least, not enough to be worth not being able to use it on my PC as well.

Next up is an LG 23" display, works well. I use Air Display to feed the MBP over to that through Windows, works quite well. Could work better, but it's adequate. I would love to a find some sort of displayport or thunderbolt adapter that would somehow let me attach both displays to the MBP to run them straight off of this, but I doubt such a beast exists. Two thunderbolt displays would be great, but also very costly.

Also rocking the iPhone 4, getting the 5 in a couple weeks when my upgrade is up. The 4S nor the 5 were exciting enough for me to pay full price so I'll wait for my upgrade!

The little dude running on my desk is actually a USB hub I got... somewhere... don't recall where. It's attached to the ACD. There is another USB hub attached to the PC. There's also an enclosure for the MBP superdrive, which I used to install some software for the MBP, and will probably never use again, LOL. Finally, there is a Razer DeathAdder gaming mouse hidden on top of the Pioneer home theater unit. I pull that out when gaming as opposed to the Magic Mouse.

I've got kind of a love/hate thing going with the magic mouse. I just can't decide if I like it better than the Magic Trackpad or not. I don't like not having all the gestures, and it seems much less responsive to touch and less accurate with the gestures it does use, but I also am not thrilled about using only a trackpad all the time. I could, of course, just use a USB mouse like my Razer, but I love the gestures in OSX!

I'm inspired by some of your setups though. Using an elegant and quiet MacBook Pro I kind of feel like my desk should be a bit more elegant, LOL!

Oh, I also fired up Sheep Shaver on my MBP. Using OS9 on a Mac again just feels cool :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.