Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
When I look in Activity Monitor, it shows Firefox at top using 315MB following by second kernel_Task using 161MB etc. When I total ALL PROCESSES it doesn't add up to 2.35GB RAM USED as Activity Monitor claims? :eek:

Any ideas what's using all my RAM?

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Not that above that column, it says "Real Mem". Your computer can also use Virtual Memory, which stays on the hard drive. The total memory used in Activity Monitor is Real + Virtual Memory. You are only adding up real memory, so you have an incomplete number.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Not that above that column, it says "Real Mem". Your computer can also use Virtual Memory, which stays on the hard drive. The total memory used in Activity Monitor is Real + Virtual Memory. You are only adding up real memory, so you have an incomplete number.

Really? I just looked at the Virtual Mem column and my Windows Server process was using 2 EB for a brief moment.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Really? I just looked at the Virtual Mem column and my Windows Server process was using 2 EB for a brief moment.

You know, I may be wrong. I took a screenshot, and it looks like the total memory used number is found by adding the Wired, Active, and Inactive numbers together. Whoops.

Attachments

• actmon.png
    actmon.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 384
Last edited:

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
OK, make sure that in Activity Monitor, the view is turned to "All Processes" and not "My Processes". "All Processes" is highlighted in the picture I attached.

Attachments

• cropped.png
    cropped.png
    30 KB · Views: 402

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
When I look in Activity Monitor, it shows Firefox at top using 315MB following by second kernel_Task using 161MB etc. When I total ALL PROCESSES it doesn't add up to 2.35GB RAM USED as Activity Monitor claims? :eek:

Any ideas what's using all my RAM?

Here it is.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Here is my screenshot. Why is it saying it's using so much RAM? What's using all that RAM?:eek:

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-12-25 at 10.21.00 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-12-25 at 10.21.00 PM.png
    130.7 KB · Views: 92
Nov 28, 2010
located
You also have to take into account the amount of Inactive RAM.

There is a link in the second post of this thread to an article describing what that is.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
You also have to take into account the amount of Inactive RAM.

There is a link in the second post of this thread to an article describing what that is.

Inactive RAM? What is that exactly?

And why is 2.5GB RAM being used, but when I do a reboot, it goes down to really low amount of RAM being used, why? Can't Imac free up RAM better? So I always need to do a reboot whenever my RAM starts being used up by "INACTIVE RAM"? :eek:

Isn't there a better solution?

Is there a freeware app that helps free up this "INACTIVE RAM" so I don't need to reboot so regularly?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Inactive RAM? What is that exactly?

And why is 2.5GB RAM being used, but when I do a reboot, it goes down to really low amount of RAM being used, why? Can't Imac free up RAM better? So I always need to do a reboot whenever my RAM starts being used up by "INACTIVE RAM"? :eek:

Isn't there a better solution?

Is there a freeware app that helps free up this "INACTIVE RAM" so I don't need to reboot so regularly?

Read the last sentence of my post you just quoted. Then click on that link and read to learn more about RAM reporting in Mac OS X.

And you do not need RAM cleaning apps, but if you want to, try "purge" in Terminal or look on the App Store for "memory clean" or "free memory" and so on.

PS: I have 8 GB of RAM and lots of Inactive RAM and it does not bother me, that the RAM I have is getting used. Maybe you should leave the worrying, known when being a Windows user (and I was one and worried for a year or two too after switching to Mac OS X back in 2006), to someone else and just use the computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.