Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:14 PM   #1
chrismarle
macrumors 6502

Why is there no iOS 6.0.2 for the 4th gen iPad?

Honestly, if I recall correctly, the iPhone 5, iPad mini and 4th gen iPad are all using the same WiFi chip so if there was a bug on the iPad mini and the iPhone 5, it probably was in the 4th gen iPad, right?
chrismarle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:19 AM   #2
jvacek
macrumors newbie

could be that, i would assume it has to do something with the size, but I am not sure if they actually do use the same chips, that would be worth checking.

Maybe the update is still in the oven, who knows
jvacek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:00 AM   #3
brylliant
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjac0m View Post
Honestly, if I recall correctly, the iPhone 5, iPad mini and 4th gen iPad are all using the same WiFi chip so if there was a bug on the iPad mini and the iPhone 5, it probably was in the 4th gen iPad, right?
There was a software issue that affected the iPhone 5 and iPad mini only, thats why.
brylliant is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:00 PM   #4
chrismarle
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by brylliant View Post
There was a software issue that affected the iPhone 5 and iPad mini only, thats why.
Yeah. I know that. But since all three devices are using the same WiFi chip and so, probably the same software that goes with it, I was wondering why it has been excluded.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:04 PM   #5
dhlizard
macrumors G3

Quote:
Yeah. I know that. But since all three devices are using the same WiFi chip and so, probably the same software that goes with it, I was wondering why it has been excluded.
It was a bug fix update.
Common sense would suggest that apparently the iPad 4 must not have required any bug fixes.

If you own an iPad 4 you should be thankful it apparently has no issues that needed to be fixed.

Look for me here
dhlizard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:42 PM   #6
sbailey4
macrumors 6502a

My understanding is the iPhone 5 and iPad mini utilize the 5ghz band as well as 2.4 ghz for wifi and the drivers for that was what was being addressed. Not sure why the iPad 4 would not get it but as stated above perhaps it didn't need the bug fix.

Last edited by sbailey4; Dec 26, 2012 at 01:50 PM.
sbailey4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:38 PM   #7
spyguy10709
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
The iPhone 5 and Mini use the same antenna structure, which in combination with a glitch in the WiFi chip's firmware, was causing the issue. The full size ipad uses a completely different antenna, which didn't "clash" with the bug in the Chip's Firmware.
Last edited by spyguy10709; Tomorrow at 07:10 AM.
spyguy10709 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:20 PM   #8
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

Quote:
Here's the real question: are YOU experiencing problems with WiFi on the 4th Gen iPad?
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:24 PM   #9
chrismarle
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy10709 View Post
The iPhone 5 and Mini use the same antenna structure, which in combination with a glitch in the WiFi chip's firmware, was causing the issue. The full size ipad uses a completely different antenna, which didn't "clash" with the bug in the Chip's Firmware.
Thanks, that's what I wanted to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredpoet View Post
Here's the real question: are YOU experiencing problems with WiFi on the 4th Gen iPad?
No but I wasn't having problems with my iPhone 5 neither

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6