Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Afbar1114

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
I am thinking of switching to iPad mini when retina comes out...is it worth it? Anyone else doing this?

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
I am thinking of switching to iPad mini when retina comes out...is it worth it? Anyone else doing this?

What generation iPad do you currently have? IMHO, the only generation worth upgrading right now is a 1st gen iPad -- everything else, including the iPad 2, can still ride out one more generational/product release cycle.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
Looks like 3rd/4th gen as he has LTE.

Well, I had the option of either purchasing an iPad 4th gen or an iPad mini -- and I went with the former. Even if a retina version mini was released right now, I'd still prefer the iPad 4 over the mini just because I truly prefer more screen space to watch movies, view pictures, web browse, webcam chat, and play games. People complain about the iPad 4 not being portable enough, but I never found this to be the case.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I just read an article today about how PC makers are dicontinuing their Netbook production. Even if Netbook can do as good as laptop with cheaper price and a smaller screen. Producers see no innovation in the coming year and has decided to add values into current product and invest more in the development of Ultra book with significantly better battery life.

eilerc

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2012
Michigan
I went from an iPad 2 to a mini and love it. It's the perfect size for me for all that I do. I was able to return my Kindle Paperwhite and sell my iPad 2. I carry my mini in my lunchbag to work (something that was not possible with the 2) and have no trouble at all reading and enjoying the smaller screen. I realize I'm probably in the minority, but it works for me.

Afbar1114

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
I have the 3rd gen seems like I need to update my siggy then.....but I was planing on waiting for ripad mini or if they can make the ipad like the mini with black on the back i might get that

ManUMark

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2012
If the mini was out first and the iPad the new model you would want that! Apples release of new models (colours etc) is a constant and never ending scam to make people buy what they have already, albeit with a few sweetners. I love tech but ask yourself how much you life will be enhanced by a different colour, size, weight, gadget will give you.
Status anxiety has long been a marketing tool and one Apple fully understands. Sleeping outside a shop for a white iP 4 (who wants a 4 now?) is really a form of mental illness.

EarthMan77

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2012
The iPad1 lacks gyroscope, which is a serious problem.

The iPad2 still rocks. Dont feel bad if you have a iPad2. The only thing your missing out on is burnt fingers.

Alith

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
London, UK.
Have an iPhone 5, iPad 3 and iPad Mini.

I sold the iPad 3 to a friend after a few weeks of getting the mini. The mini's screen is fine and the form factor and weight outweigh any reduction in quality. Looking forward to a mini with retina but I wouldn't let the lack of retina put you off getting one now if you need one.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Got an iPad 1 and the iPad I want to replace it has to have Retina display which takes off the current iPad mini.

At first, I didn't see the need for it, but 7 inch tablets really do feel great.

Its really the perfect size between a smartphone and a laptop.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I have an iPhone 5, iPad 3 and an iPad mini. Since getting the iPad mini I barely touch the iPad 3. The iPad mini is with me all the time. The fact that the iPad mini is not a retina display is a non issue with me. The size and weight of the iPad mini far outweigh the mini's lack of retina.

There is nothing at all wrong with the iPad mini's screen. Because the pixels (which is the same amount as an iPad 2) are more compacted together the iPad mini is still a step up and looks better than the iPad 2. Retina would be nice, but then that would compromise the the weight, thickness and temperature of the mini. My eyes don't bleed because they went to a non retina display, if they did that then I would never be able to use my MacBook, my television, the monitor on the computer at work, etc. Retina is nice, but come on highly over rated.

If you want the mini, then get it, it works just fine.

TOYSTER17

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2010
Went from an iPad 1 to the mini, best thing ever. Such a difference in weight, in basically everything you do. Playing games on it is much more comfortable as well.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I have a mini and an iPad 3 and I don't even touch the 3 anymore. It seems huge and overkill to me now. The mini is the perfect tablet. The only thing it needs to be even better is the retina display but it's still an awesome device without it.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
What about he weight of the iPad 2 compared with the iPad mini? If the next iPad is as thin and light as the iPad 2 but with a. Bigger retina display, I'd definitely go with that one. The bigger iPad defines the iPad. If its more portable, it'll be incredible.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Well, I had the option of either purchasing an iPad 4th gen or an iPad mini -- and I went with the former. Even if a retina version mini was released right now, I'd still prefer the iPad 4 over the mini just because I truly prefer more screen space to watch movies, view pictures, web browse, webcam chat, and play games. People complain about the iPad 4 not being portable enough, but I never found this to be the case.

I think that's great, the 4 is a wonderful device.

It just seems like there's a big competition between the mini and full sized iPad, which is ridiculous. It's like if you're for one, you're not for the other, and if you choose one, you're an idiot for not choosing the other, depending on which side of the line you find yourself. This does seem to come from one side more than the other, as if holding the device with retina makes you the winner, but that's not the point I wanted to make.

What I want to say is that I think it's great you prefer the full sized iPad. I can't imagine that Apple will at some point in the future drop one in favour of the other (so we need now to get people to support one or the other), they'll always offer both, which gives us choices, and if you're happy with the full sized one, go for it and enjoy, it's a fantastic device, I would never say otherwise. If, like me, you're all about the smaller form factor (in this device and others), the mini is the best device Apple makes.

My mother was recently in the market for a tablet (she was going to go with Android - shock, horror!<grin> - for price reasons, but I talked her into getting Apple, since she's already got an Apple iMac and 2 iPod Touches), she bought the iPad 4 and couldn't be happier with it, she uses it all the time and loves it, and I'm thrilled, it's for her the perfect device and I'm glad Apple now makes 2 sizes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.