Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

suclearnub

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Equestria
So I decided to get SheepShaver and OS9 because I had too much time on my hands. I want to use another app for playing my music, but QuickTime is used instead. Help?

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
So I decided to get SheepShaver and OS9 because I had too much time on my hands. I want to use another app for playing my music, but QuickTime is used instead. Help?

If I understand your question correctly, it sounds like you're asking for the name of an OS 9 app that plays MP3 files. It depends on what type of music player app you want. If you want a full featured music organization app, then you could simply use the old OS9 version of iTunes.

EDIT:

If you just want a simple audio file player, then definitely the far and away best one was/is SoundApp.

http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~franke/SoundApp/

suclearnub

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Equestria
If I understand your question correctly, it sounds like you're asking for the name of an OS 9 app that plays MP3 files. It depends on what type of music player app you want. If you want a full featured music organization app, then you could simply use the old OS9 version of iTunes.

EDIT:

If you just want a simple audio file player, then definitely the far and away best one was/is SoundApp.

http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~franke/SoundApp/

Yeah, but whenever I double click on any MP3 file, QuickTime plays, and I don't want that to happen. How can I change what app plays the music when I double click?

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Yeah, but whenever I double click on any MP3 file, QuickTime plays, and I don't want that to happen. How can I change what app plays the music when I double click?

I believe you do it like this. Select any audio file in the finder, hit command-i (or apple-i), then where it says "open this file with:" and in that menu select the app you prefer, then click the option that says something like "always open this file type using this app."

suclearnub

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Equestria
I believe you do it like this. Select any audio file in the finder, hit command-i (or apple-i), then where it says "open this file with:" and in that menu select the app you prefer, then click the option that says something like "always open this file type using this app."

This works in OSX, but not in OS9. Searched all over the interwebz, but to no avail.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Ah, file type and creator codes are what determines what app things open with in OS 9. Sadly, OS 9 gives you no easy way to change these on a global basis. You can change them on a per-file basis, though - many OS 9 apps, SoundApp included, will offer to change the codes to theirs upon using the app to open a file.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.