Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 2, 2006
My god, i only lasted 2 days with the S3 before switched back to the iphone 5.

What i missed from s3 is only the removable battery. It's really great to have removable battery so i can just put the extra battery in and the capacity is at 100% again.

Wish iphone will have this feature but i doubt that will happen.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Played with the GSIII several times...never really understood the fuss. Ditto for the Note II. *shrug*

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
You didn't even explain why you changed back? This thread is full of fail.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
You listed the reason why you enjoyed the Galaxy SIII, but what were your reasons for returning it back? Were you not a fan of the Android OS? Was the hardware too bulky?

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Agreed. I'm about the make the same switch (well iPhone 4S to SGS III), and I'm curious what others think.

I'll give you my take. 3 of my co-workers have the SGS III. I had the 4s. Being a previous Android rooter my coworkers give me endless hell for having an iPhone. After spending days checking out their phones and their latest roms - Android still isn't there. The screen's sensitivity is not up to par with the iPhone - it cannot keep up with my typing speed. The battery life is about half as good as a 4s with Verizon. Sure, the screen is over saturated and bright and big... but it looks too much like a cartoon on TV to me. And, even with a rooted rom, overclocked, the OS still lags! Another big thing is the plastic feel. After using a glass iPhone 4s for a year going to a plastic creaky phone is a huge no go for me.

So I got an iPhone 5 when my 4s broke over black Friday. Not looking back for the SIII anyway. S4? S5? S6? I think the gap between Android and iPhone is closing fast.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Played with the GSIII several times...never really understood the fuss. Ditto for the Note II. *shrug*

Are you serious? You can't even acknowledge the screens on both of those phones are fantastic? Even if you hate the Android OS-I do-you have to man up and admit it's superior traits.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Are you serious? You can't even acknowledge the screens on both of those phones are fantastic? Even if you hate the Android OS-I do-you have to man up and admit it's superior traits.

You mean the extremely over saturated screens? What so fantastic about them? The size?

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008

I had a semi-functional iPhone4.

I also toyed with the SIII and NoteII in the store for quite a while as I knew the iPhone4 needed replacement.

Not happy with the iPhone5, it just didn't seem ( to me ) worth investing $300 or $400 and entering into a new two year contract.

I paid the $149 to have my iPhone4 replaced with another. I was thinking of selling the iPhone4 as I had a good offer but that meant still entering into a two year contract for a phone that I was not impressed with.

I'll keep the iPhone4 for now ... hopefully Apple will make a smart move with the next phone!

----------

What so fantastic about them? The size?

Size matters, in more ways than one might think.

If the iPhone5 had a screen the size of the SIII I would have bought two of them, instead of just replacing my broken iPhone4 with a replacement iPhone4.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
I dig the current size, weight and feel of the iPhone 5. The thing that puts me off some of Samsungs devices (apart from preferring iOS) is that they are too plastic-y and too large a footprint (I text a lot and just do a lot with one hand).

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
I used the SGS2 for a year and then an iPhone 5 for 2 weeks and am now back on SGS2. I came back to SGS2, because of T-Mobile'scoverage lousy 1900 MHz refarmed 3G network in Minneapolis which is mainly Edge with spotty and weak 3G.
That said I liked the iPhone 5 very much and would go back to it in 2 months- on T-mobile if they have picked up their game or on AT&T. I do see that Android de ice suffer from some key disadvantages:

1. The lag is very bad and becomes worse as you add more Apps. The memory management system is poor.
2. It is very hard to kill a non functional App. Unlike the home button on the iPhone this takes for ever to get control back.

I also see some advantages in the Android device;
1. The Skype functionality is the number one thing I missed in the iOs environment.
2. The alternative menu button in each App provides many options.

Jungle Jack

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
I dig the current size, weight and feel of the iPhone 5. The thing that puts me off some of Samsungs devices (apart from preferring iOS) is that they are too plastic-y and too large a footprint (I text a lot and just do a lot with one hand).

Hello,
I could not agree more about Samsung's choice of materials. As a Moderator on a Home Theater Forum, this feeling actually translates over to their TV's as well.

I really do like Motorola Droid RAZR's and if I were to go back to an Android device, that would be the most likely one. I am also kinda liking what HTC has been up to recently.
Cheers,
JJ

Marrakas

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2012
I had the S3 for 5 months, I really loved it, but after getting an iPad, I use that for my bigscreen needs, so I wanted a smaller phone, which made the iPhone5 perfect. Both S3 and iPhone5 are amazing phones in my opinion, it all comes down to personal preference which to choose.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
Hello,
I could not agree more about Samsung's choice of materials. As a Moderator on a Home Theater Forum, this feeling actually translates over to their TV's as well.

I really do like Motorola Droid RAZR's and if I were to go back to an Android device, that would be the most likely one. I am also kinda liking what HTC has been up to recently.
Cheers,
JJ

The RAZR (HD/MAXX/other variations) and HTC One X and S are the three droid phones that actually intrigue me the most. Especially the One X and S as they look great, they are built well and are just really nice :)

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006

Yup very much so. I'll take LCD over SAMOLED any day. Brighter and more natural looking colours. Also anything after 4.3" is a bonus not a requirement for me personally. I want a phone not a phablet.

If i were to buy an Android phone now i'd probably go with the One X+ or NX4. Preferably the former. IF that is...

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Strange OP to not mention reasons, see my post here

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1511426/

I'm debating... hard... on whether to go from S3 to iP5. Had iPhone 4, went to Android with XE then S3. It is laggy, hardware no where near as good as Apple. I'm worried on a few features I'd miss from S3 though.. Screen size, keyboard, shortcuts (call dialler), pull down shortcut menu

Last edited by a moderator:

Smithwicks

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2011
I can't remember a time I experienced noticeable lag when I had the gs3. Same goes with my Nexus 4. Sometimes I wonder if the people complaining about Android lag have a million widgets on their home screens.

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
Alright, and now make this topic actually helpful by outlining your experiences and counting up the things which made you switch back?

3 days is hardly a good test drive. Especially if you have never used the operating system.

I made my wife use my iPhone for almost a month before she decided on what phone she was going to haul around.

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
I'm currently on a Nexus 4 and while browsing through my apps are a little stuttery, I've experienced the same stutter on my iPhone 5 --neither were enough for me to complain about.

Also, my phone is on 560+ hours of uptime without a major hiccup. Either JB has made big strides on reliability or people like to post misconceptions on what they think the Android OS entails.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.