Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Dec 24, 2012, 01:38 PM   #1
AcesHigh87
macrumors 6502a

SSD Question

My friend is getting a new Solid State drive because his current 60GB one isn't really big enough for his needs. I've been in the market for an SSD for awhile now to try and speed up my old macbook so I asked if he would give me his old drive. Since he has no use for it he said sure which is great because I don't really have the money. While 60GB is small I mostly use my iMac now so I think I can manage as long as I move my iPhoto library and stuff.

Anyway, before we go through with the transfer and everything I wanted to see if anyone knew whether or not the drive would even work. I don't know the EXACT model but it's made by G-Skill and uses the SandForce controller. It's similar to this: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16820231613

I believe the only difference is the speeds between that model and his. In any case I ask because I know people usually suggest Crucial M4 drives or Intel SSD's for macs because they don't work well with SandForce controllers. Is this true? If so, what happens?

It's free so I'm willing to try regardless but if it's going to completely not work it doesn't seem like I should take the time and effort required to switch my computer over.

Any help with the above question would be GREATLY appreciated.

Edit: Removed question about external enclosure. It'll be easier to have one and if it doesn't work I'll find a use for it anyway so I ordered one off newegg.

Last edited by AcesHigh87; Dec 24, 2012 at 02:08 PM.
AcesHigh87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice