Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
maybe the next iphone will be also inspired by another product like the new iPod Touch :confused:

I think a couple analysts predicted colors for iPhone 5S.

You know analysts...but I think that one makes sense. More colors like the iPod touch much like what Windows phones have. Can attract more younger customers and kids.

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
What's Left to Do?

There's but so much that can be done with the design or even the "guts" to make any new iteration a "wow" thing like the first iPad. I have the 2 and will probably stick with this one until there is a compelling reason to upgrade. LTE is, but not enough to justify me spending another $900.

dona83

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Be happy with you have people. No need for the latest and greatest. I'm working on a 2010 MacBook Pro I have no intention of replacing in the near future. My iPhone 4 is still fine. I love my new iPad Mini. I have a 2006 iMac at home my kids and I love to use.

If only I can quit upgrading my cars so often.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Apple, without Steve Jobs, unable to innovate, now must turn to product turnover to keep sales up and thus maintain its stock price.

Problem with these time scales if they are true, is its going to drive down re-sale price of apple products even more every new product, suddenly everyone will be trying to sell "last months model" to get next months

The new glued-shut iMacs, ignoring the Mac Pros, overly eager release schedules, and a complete lack of actual "innovation", not good, if the windows PC makers get their act together being windows 8, apple could find itself as an expensive joke in a few years.

JS3

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
They are gonna have to go lighter and thinner to bring back the people that went to the mini from the old heavy ipad. Doesnt seem like 4 sales were all that great. I am still waiting for this one.

Attachments

• tech_samsung_future_tablet.jpg
    tech_samsung_future_tablet.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 159

HM Apple

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I have a launch Gen 3, returned a launch mini, and will definitely wait for the Ipad 5. I hope it is Spring 2013. Other than the lack of the pocket size, it sounds good.

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
I'm still happy with my iPad 3. Until apps are released that feel slow on it, a *VERY* good unsupported iOS comes out, or until my iPad breaks I don't really care how many more they release.

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
It just feels like a huge waste, there are a lot of unsold older generation iPads and the stores will get huge losses if they sell them for like 50% off.

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
Not happening

Apple was falling massively behind competitors with an annual release cycle...
There comes a point where you can't dangle incremental updates annually and think people will still think they're a big deal.

I say it does happen. I think they're going to stop the annual iPhone too... they kind of need to, because they're the only company that does this still. The new galaxy S is poised to hit, and look how successful the S3 has been.

Now if they could just figure out how to do decent web services...

macaximx

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2009
I have a launch Gen 3, returned a launch mini, and will definitely wait for the Ipad 5. I hope it is Spring 2013. Other than the lack of the pocket size, it sounds good.

+1

Held off buying an iPad 4 figuring there would be a 5 around the corner. :D

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Problem with these time scales if they are true, is its going to drive down re-sale price of apple products even more every new product, suddenly everyone will be trying to sell "last months model" to get next months

The only people can satisfy their 'NEED' for the latest and greatest are the rich kids with their trust funds. Fine, do what they want to waste their own cash.

But if anyone else does it, they will be in the poor house very soon.

Is EVERYTHING in your house/apartment the VERY LATEST? Do you trade in your car every year? When the next model toaster comes out, do you buy it? OMG, a new color towels at Target! Throw away my old towels, get the new ones!

Seriously, anyone who upgrades 'just to upgrade' and 'just to impress others' or 'for the 10% speed increase when all they do is play games' is either loaded, and that's fine, or not and a very sad individual.

Someday, if Apple released the iPad 5 as an incremental update, and never announced it, just silently replacing the iPad 4th generation stock with iPad 5th generation stock.... and you found out a week later.. would you litter the message boards with, 'OMG! Apple sucks! They can't do this to me! The travesty of me having week old technology!'

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
I don't need the latest and greatest, I bought the iPad mini and as it's my first iPad I do like it. But according to every review it has a major flaw; no retina display. If the next mini won't have one either I don't feel the need to update but if it does and it comes out less than 6 months from my purchase for the same price, you must understand how me and others would feel. I hope I can sell this one for about 200€ then but I feel it will not have a good resale value.

scat999999

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2003
They came out with the iPad 4 when they did to support iPhone 5 buyers with an iPad that shared the Lightnng connector. It would have been foolish for them to have an iPhne 5 purchaser bUy an iPad too and have an incompatible connector. The faster processor was just icing on the cake.

Besides, Cook and Ivy both said that Apple would/wouldn't release products when/until they were "ready", not rushed out or held back to meet some arbitrary release date. I guess twice bitten twice shy with the Siri beta and Maps?

darky90

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2012
There was a time when I absolutely had to have the latest model of everything and anything less made me feel inadequate somehow.

Then I stopped being retarded.

Still enjoying my iPad2 and iPhone 4S :)

I was the same way. After apple and and technology in general always coming out with upgrades every year, it's just a waste of money to keep up. If it ain't broke, why fix it? :)

Konrad

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2009
Bi-continental
I am curious how much longer this gadget frenzy is going to last. My suspicion is that at one point in not the distant future (also with the eminent death of the retarded American suburbia model) people will migrate from virtual past time via devices to a strong appetite for the real live experiences. There will be boredom on the net, text messaging, looking at the world trough a digital camera, sex on Skype will no longer cut it and will be reserved for the poor. Then, from the perspective of time people will realize how much of their life they have wasted worrying about something as absurd as a retina, screen sizes and a new plug.

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2010
I went from the ipad1 to the 3, skipped the 2 altogether and until there is some form of REAL upgrade (e.g. retina was a big jump in quality) I won't be bothering. Thinner, lighter, BIG DEAL.... It's light and thin enough now, I don't have any problems sticking my ipad3 in my backpack and its not even heavy enough to notice.

Apple need to stop with the 'baby steps' upgrades, it's starting to annoy Joe Public... I can see the warning signs already.

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah
I can't believe all the whining and moaning. ****. When Apple releases a new iPad or iPhone it doesn't make the one you have any less great or usable. A decade ago everyone was mad at Apple for too few HW updates, now you're bitching about the opposite. Be happy with what you have and the fact you can afford it. If you can't afford Apple then get Android or nothing. I but an Apple tower every six or seven years because I can't afford to keep up and really don't care. My 2006 1,1 MacPro is fantastic and I'm sure the iPad 1 is just fine.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
It's nearly 6 months, time to milk more money from the herd.

You aren't required to buy every time.

Contrary to the conspiracy the old ones do keep working after a new one is launched

----------

I'd like to see iPads made from liquid metal. Ditto for the Macbooks.

iPad T-1000. It's going back in time to terminate the competition before they even get started

----------

And how are you going to hold the iPad?

Jedi mind tricks.

GorgonPhone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2010
How many years will we be able to keep saying this? "Steve" has been dead for a year and a quarter...Apple lives on. What was 'new and special' about incremental changes to the white iMac G5/Core Duo? You seemed content enough to buy the post-Steve rMBP. Was that not 'new' and 'special'? There will be an Apple TV out soon that has Jobs's mark on it, and I think the iPad Mini is one of the best Apple designs yet (and I say this having just bought a 4th gen iPad). The melodrama is a bit overplayed. This isn't 'Days of Our Lives'.

apple lives on in a very boring fashion

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.