Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How often should a new iPhone be introduced?

• Twice a year (every six months)

Votes: 32 15.2%
  • About every nine months

Votes: 22 10.4%
  • Once per year

Votes: 132 62.6%
  • About every 18 months

Votes: 25 11.8%

• Total voters

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
The next 5 years are going to be very interesting for Apple. With their mind-set, I'm not sure where they can go with the iPhone from here. They're obviously not interested in changing the OS and I doubt they'll ever go with a larger screen. They've kind of painted themselves into a corner.

Just my 2 cents, but I have this feeling that Apple will be reduced to dust by 2025 should the slow rate of innovation in the iOS component continue, given that it powers 2 of their most popular products: iPhone and iPad.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
IMO, the iPad was an aberrasion, as Apple was surprised by the popularity if the Kindles. 1 yr - 18 months is good snuff 4r me. Regardless of Android's merits, too often updates makes a product not so special. How often can Cook goes, The Thinnest The Lightest, EVER! before ppl start yawning.

Last edited:

janny1

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2012
Less than a year but more than half a year.
Anyway, it's not a good thing to update so fast. We need stable 'Apple' than Fresh apple...

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Just my 2 cents, but I have this feeling that Apple will be reduced to dust by 2025 should the slow rate of innovation in the iOS component continue, given that it powers 2 of their most popular products: iPhone and iPad.

Thing is, the iPhone may be missing a lot of features when compared to other devices, but given the popularity of the product this clearly isn't a big issue for a lot of people.

At the minute some of the stuff is only good for bragging rights. NFC can hardly be used anywhere for payments, and using NFC tags to toggle settings is hardly worth it on iOS because battery life is so good anyway.

One of the features I miss from Android is the way it handles sharing. Other than that, there's nothing I really miss.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Thing is, the iPhone may be missing a lot of features when compared to other devices, but given the popularity of the product this clearly isn't a big issue for a lot of people.

At the minute some of the stuff is only good for bragging rights. NFC can hardly be used anywhere for payments, and using NFC tags to toggle settings is hardly worth it on iOS because battery life is so good anyway.

One of the features I miss from Android is the way it handles sharing. Other than that, there's nothing I really miss.

You may be right, but Android features =/= NFC only. It offers more customization, some of the widgets are quite intuitive as well.

The thing is, Google and the Android OS give me a feeling that they have more innovative features at hand and they're constantly hard at work at bringing better features. Unfortunately, I don't have the same feeling with Apple. As a matter of fact, the current rate of iOS development reeks of their complacency and arrogance, something which Android, thankfully, lacks.

I do acknowledge that iOS is good, there's no doubt. You can carry out a lot of things on the platform and it works well for most people. I'm more concerned about the future of the OS itself, which I don't think will be pleasant if Apple don't step on the accelerator soon enough.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I say once a year.

However, since they're playing catch up to Android, even though Apples sales & profits are massive, I believe Apples working hard and once they've caught up they can roll back to an annual release.

I favor an annual release since unlike in the past, Apple seems to be struggling to ship a quality product without the significant issues of late.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
I'm for 6 months. Mainly because having the 's' model with the same body style as the previous is like having the same phone for another year.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
You may be right, but Android features =/= NFC only. It offers more customization, some of the widgets are quite intuitive as well.

The thing is, Google and the Android OS give me a feeling that they have more innovative features at hand and they're constantly hard at work at bringing better features. Unfortunately, I don't have the same feeling with Apple. As a matter of fact, the current rate of iOS development reeks of their complacency and arrogance, something which Android, thankfully, lacks.

I do acknowledge that iOS is good, there's no doubt. You can carry out a lot of things on the platform and it works well for most people. I'm more concerned about the future of the OS itself, which I don't think will be pleasant if Apple don't step on the accelerator soon enough.

I was using NFC as an example. I appreciate there are a lot more things on Android that aren't on iOS other than just that.

Android and iOS are obviously aimed at different user bases. If you want the bleeding edge of technology with experimental features, then you'll have to go Android. If you want something that's very capable, very smooth and has user friendliness in mind, then go iOS.

Android is evolving more quickly because it attracts the sorts of users who like that. iOS is more for people who just want something that works and don't need loads of complicated features.

Then you have to throw individual manufacturer options into the mix as well. For example, with the Galaxy S3 there's loads of stuff to learn: -

Allshare Play
Allshare Cast
Buddy photo share (can't remember if that's actually what it's called)
Best shot

What the hell is all that stuff and why do I care about it? < That's how a lot of people would see all of those bells and whistles. Some people just want a phone that they can use to browse the internet, check emails, send messages, check Facebook, etc.

Apple's "complacency" is not complacency at all. What they're actually doing is improving the OS without drastically changing it at a rapid pace so as not to alienate their customer base.

I'm not sure why everybody wants the two OSes to be the same. Why would anybody want Apple to add all the features that Android has and basically become the same OS? Doesn't make sense to me.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Really makes no difference to me whatsoever when they release a new phone <shrug>
If I feel like it is an upgrade I want, then I will upgrade, regardless of the contract
If I weigh it out and decide to wait, then I wait

The choice to upgrade is always mine, not Apple's
So I am not tied to their schedule at all
Just because they release an iPhone or iPad doesn't mean I have to jump on it

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
1. Let the consumer decide if they want to pay full price or not.

Consumers pay full price plus plus plus.

They always have, and alway will, so long as subsidized contracts go on.

Go buy that $200 subsidized iPhone and cancel 35 days later.

They hit ya with that crazy Early Termination Fee?

Do you know what that represents? It's the PAYMENTS you would have paid on your phone had you fulfilled the contract.

You can quit and pay full price up front via ETF, or you can continue making payments on the phone via the contracted agreement.

Now where does the " plus plus plus " come into play?

Say you finished your contract, and have made all the payments ( $200 down + payments monthly ). Now your phone is completely paid for but you are still paying the inflated monthly fee that includes the Service and Phone Payment.

Phone companies have you over a barrel though!

erratikmind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
S.F./Las Vegas
Personally, I think that the current new release schedule is fine. New releases do not affect me, as I am not motivated to make a new purchase of the said. I make purchases based on necessity.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
UPDATE STUFF!!!!!!

How?

I DON'T KNOW JUST CHANGE IT SO IT DOESN'T FEEL STALE!!!!!!!!!

But what if that makes it worse?

WHO CARES IOS IS LIKE FREAKIN' PREHISTORIC MAN!!!!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

Using caps doesn't make your post more intelligent....

Have you not seen Auxo's take for multitasking? If not go actually read the front page. It just came out on Cydia and ts a load better than what Apple has right now. Look at other Android and Windows phones and how they do Notifications and Multitasking. They are also a load better...and work better.

Apple comes up with something = best thing ever
Android/Windows/Jailbreakers come up with something = worse than Apple

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
IMO, the iPad was an aberrasion, as Apple was surprised by the popularity if the Kindles. 1 yr - 18 months is good snuff 4r me. Regardless of Android's merits, too often updates makes a product not so special. How often can Cook goes, The Thinnest The Lightest, EVER! before ppl start yawning.

I agree. In my opinion, Apple products have already passed the point of thinness to the point where I no longer feel like I'm holding a quality product -- this particularly applies to the new iPod touches, the iPad minis, and the iPhone 5. They're too thin. I think the Macbook, iMac, iPod classic/older iPod touch, iPhone 4, and iPad 1-4 designs are the perfect amount of thinness for their respective device categories.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
I agree with this! I think the current 5 is the first iPhone that I think will exceed 2 years of use for most people (if they want it to). It has everything, LTE, good battery, super fast.

I agree with you too assuming Apple doesn't really change iOS in a major way. I have feeling they will implement mission control though some how into iOS. Wether that is only for the newest phone at the time is anyone's guess.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
I agree. In my opinion, Apple products have already passed the point of thinness to the point where I no longer feel like I'm holding a quality product -- this particularly applies to the new iPod touches, the iPad minis, and the iPhone 5. They're too thin. I think the Macbook, iMac, iPod classic/older iPod touch, iPhone 4, and iPad 1-4 designs are the perfect amount of thinness for their respective device categories.

I too thought it was silly to go thinner on the iPhone 5... until I held one.

Same with the iPod touch 5th gen and iPad mini. I think that the feel of the device has increased 10 fold, I didn't think Apple could do a more 'premium' feel and finish than the iPhone 4 and 4S, I really, REALLY didn't. The 4 was a thing of beauty. But holy ****** I was seriously surprised when I held and used the new devices.

A really good example of this is the past iPod touch 4th gen to me felt stupid thin, it was uncomfortable to hold (in my opinion). The current iPod touch 5th gen is ~1mm thinner, but the way that they've made it it actually feels really nice. To me at least.

I do think that the current thinness should not really be 'beaten' because then it will become uncomfortable to hold I think. iPads and iPhones at about 7-8mm are nice, especially with current designs and I don't know how they can improve on them!

----------

I agree with you too assuming Apple doesn't really change iOS in a major way. I have feeling they will implement mission control though some how into iOS. Wether that is only for the newest phone at the time is anyone's guess.

I think they will change the OS now to force people to upgrade, but I also think that the 5 will fully support iOS 7 and unless they increase the screen size again after (to wider) I see most of the 'look' of things staying consistent from now on. But who knows really.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010

I feel in terms of hardware...Apple is ahead of the competition but in terms of iOS, Apple is like 2 years behind the competition.

It won't matter how good the iPhoen 5S will be...if it doesn't have a revamped iOS 7, its going to make it a lot harder for Apple to sell its product with a 6 year old OS.

Meanwhile Microsoft and Samsung (maybe even RIM) are all advertising their newest OS with great new features.

Jungle Jack

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
I'm for 6 months. Mainly because having the 's' model with the same body style as the previous is like having the same phone for another year.

Hello,
That was the exact same rationale I used in selecting every 6 months. While it probably would adversely affect resale value, I believe the juice to be worth the squeeze.
Cheers,
JJ

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.