Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anewfoundsin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
I put my sim card in an S3 samsung and got me thinking. Will I lose my icloud account? I do have an ipad and a macbook. Also i can no longer use Imessage with my original cell number right?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
You can access your iCloud account from your other Apple devices, and also from a web browser (for mail/calendar/contacts/etc).

As for iMessage with your original cell number, I'm not sure. With iOS 6, you can setup other devices to send/receive iMessages using your cell number, assuming your cell number is an iPhone. Not sure what happens to that when you switch your cell number away from an iPhone.

brylliant

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
United Kingdom
I put my sim card in an S3 samsung and got me thinking. Will I lose my icloud account? I do have an ipad and a macbook. Also i can no longer use Imessage with my original cell number right?

Nothing is stored on your SIM from iCloud. They are two different things. Your iCloud data is stored on Apple's servers and will always be waiting for you.

Your number won't work with iMessage anymore unless you insert your SIM back into your iPhone - but any future iMessages will still be sent to your MacBook (if you have Mountain Lion) and iPad, but not your iPhone.

You can turn iMessage off on these devices if you want to go completely iMessage free.

Last edited:

Squid7085

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Even if you can trick iMessage to keep working (I have done it in the past.) You likely don't want it to. The iMessage phone SENDING the message will think you are still using iMessage, thus only sending it to the iPad and not your actual mobile number, I.E. your phone. I did this accidentally before, i'd like to think Apple has that fixed.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Quite frankly I have always thought google cloud services which have been around longer than icloud have been better and better integrated into the OS. (they've been there since the beginning and not tacked on in an OS update) I've never had google's contact syncing delete contacts but when iCloud rolled out I had to help many people who had it delete their entire contacts lists.

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I wish Android had a total back up solution like this.

Only thing close would be making a back up on a rooted phone and even though you can run into problems when restoring. (Titanium back up never worked well neither)

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
I wish Android had a total back up solution like this.

Only thing close would be making a back up on a rooted phone and even though you can run into problems when restoring. (Titanium back up never worked well neither)

It does.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
I always used Dropbox with android. You can even backup Titanium Backup with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.