Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:23 AM   #1
barebackbadger8
macrumors 6502

Best app/program for improving photo quality?

Hi been a mac user for many years but never, ever used any photo editing software...
I have a photo my wife as taken on her iphone 4s of my 14 week old daughter which we would like printed off (i have access to the equipment to do this myself) however on the iphone the photo looks awesome but on my MBA 11" it doesnt look right and printed off 10 x 8 it doesnt look that great
I know there is photoshop, aperture etc but i have zero knowledge of these for what i need what is the best/cheapest program?
I have tried iphoto but it still looks grainy
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:42 AM   #2
MisterMe
macrumors G4

You cannot improve the quality of an image. However, it sounds like you are editing thumbnails rather than primary images. BTW, photographs taken with an iPhone or some other iOS mobile device are automatically distributed to your iCloud-enabled devices.

Make sure that PhotoStream is properly enabled. Also, be careful that the images that you are working on are not thumbnails.
MisterMe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:25 AM   #3
terrymaz
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by barebackbadger8 View Post
Hi been a mac user for many years but never, ever used any photo editing software...
I have a photo my wife as taken on her iphone 4s of my 14 week old daughter which we would like printed off (i have access to the equipment to do this myself) however on the iphone the photo looks awesome but on my MBA 11" it doesnt look right and printed off 10 x 8 it doesnt look that great
I know there is photoshop, aperture etc but i have zero knowledge of these for what i need what is the best/cheapest program?
I have tried iphoto but it still looks grainy
Im a diehard Aperture guy but i believe its pixelmator that some say works great for them at a cheap price.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:31 AM   #4
ECUpirate44
Banned

Another vote for pixelmator. I use perfect 365 for close up shots.
ECUpirate44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:24 PM   #5
CrickettGrrrl
macrumors 6502a

If you haven't checked Pixelmator out yet, here's a link to their Tutorials page so you can see the sorts of things possible:

http://www.pixelmator.com/tutorials/#basic-tutorials

And there is a Basic Image Editing Basics link:
http://www.pixelmator.com/tutorials/#editing-basics
CrickettGrrrl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 06:07 PM   #6
barebackbadger8
macrumors 6502

Sorry been away from my mac/ipad for a while.
Thanks for the input guys
I think ill give pixelmator a try, its just that the wife finally managed to take a decent photo of my daughter and although it is stored on photostream/mac etc i would like a physical copy put into a frame but like i have said the quality aint brill once blown up bigger than the iPhones screen size

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store