Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndiS.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 16, 2012
I'm completely new to Macs and OSX, and from what I read that Beachball is bad news. I'm getting it every time for no longer than a second when loading Unigine's Heaven, does anybody else get that on their 2012 iMac?

I'm not really sure if that is a problem at all, but from what I read this means an application is unresponsive, does anybody have suggestions?

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Do you have a base model without Fusion?

I'd imagine it might pop up doing CPU intense stuff.

AndiS.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 16, 2012
Do you have a base model without Fusion?

I'd imagine it might pop up doing CPU intense stuff.

no, Fusion / i5 / 680MX. It's only for a second during the load screen and still benches 39 FPS. It also appears when loading Diablo 3 in OSX, for a second.

Update: I checked Activity monitor, nothing there. I mean, my system isn't really slowing down, but since I'm new to OSX I was wondering whether that thing showing up at all is reason to worry?

I also ran Black Magic Disc, I get over 300 write and over 400 read.

Last edited:

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
I'm completely new to Macs and OSX, and from what I read that Beachball is bad news. I'm getting it every time for no longer than a second when loading Unigine's Heaven, does anybody else get that on their 2012 iMac?

I'm not really sure if that is a problem at all, but from what I read this means an application is unresponsive, does anybody have suggestions?

No it's not bad news. It means that the CPU or HDD is being used to capacity. Get Menu Meters or a similar program so you can see how much of your CPU and HDD is being accessed.

Solve it by getting as much RAM as possible and Fusion or SSD drive.

AndiS.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 16, 2012
No it's not bad news. It means that the CPU or HDD is being used to capacity. Get Menu Meters or a similar program so you can see how much of your CPU and HDD is being accessed.

Solve it by getting as much RAM as possible and Fusion or SSD drive.

Thanks, I have Fusion and 16 GB Ram are on the way

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
Also be sure your Fusion VM isn't using all the cores in your CPU. As in, if you have a dual core CPU, you can expect the occasional beach ball if you run a VM configured as having a two core CPU.

AndiS.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 16, 2012
Also be sure your Fusion VM isn't using all the cores in your CPU. As in, if you have a dual core CPU, you can expect the occasional beach ball if you run a VM configured as having a two core CPU.

Thanks for your reply, but I'm not sure if I follow. The 2012 i5 (3470) is a quad core, but what is the Fusion VM? Virtual Manager?

Update: by Fusion I was referring to the Fusion Drive (SSD+1TB) in the new iMacs, I googled Fusion VM and there must've been a misunderstanding

Last edited:

auwkeung

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2008
It's just the mac version of the hourglass in Windows

Nothing to worry about, as long as it doesn't stay there constanty

bordenkecher

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2006
I was getting this on my MBP when I upgraded the HDD to an SSD and moved the HDD over to replace the Super (disk) Drive. I figure it was just hanging for a sec while the HDD spun up when I had to access something off it. Once I replaced the old HDD in my MBP to a dual SSD set up I stopped seing the spinning beach ball.

I could be wrong on the cause, but that was my experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.