Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChuckieC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2012
Hello everyone,

I got my 27" iMac today and can't get the camera working...when I open Photo Booth I just get a gray spinning wheel where my image would usually be..I tried using it with iMovie, FaceTime, and Facebook and it wont work with any of them...

I went to System Information and the camera is being recognized under USB (FaceTime HD Camera Built In)

Tried restarting it, unplugging everything, creating a new user account...

Not sure what else to do since I have not installed anything yet

Any help would be appreciated...thank you!

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Hello everyone,

I got my 27" iMac today and can't get the camera working...when I open Photo Booth I just get a gray spinning wheel where my image would usually be..I tried using it with iMovie, FaceTime, and Facebook and it wont work with any of them...

I went to System Information and the camera is being recognized under USB (FaceTime HD Camera Built In)

Tried restarting it, unplugging everything, creating a new user account...

Not sure what else to do since I have not installed anything yet

Any help would be appreciated...thank you!

what osx version are you on 10.8 10.8.1 or 10.8.2 ? if you are not on 10.8.2 update to it.

NVRENUF!

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
PERTH, Australia
Call apple support.

with in a few min's they should establish if it's a software issue or hardware..

I hope for you it isn't hardware as that would be annoying having to get it exchanged

jlsusa

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2012
I have the exact same issue. FaceTime won't open. Photo Booth gives me the spinning wheel. If you found a solution I would appreciate hearing about it.
Thank you.

ChuckieC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2012
I have the exact same issue. FaceTime won't open. Photo Booth gives me the spinning wheel. If you found a solution I would appreciate hearing about it.
Thank you.

I havent found a solution yet..Im going to call Apple after Christmas and see what they say

lali

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2007
Hi
Just wondering... Have any of you installed Skype? i understand both Skype and the camera-dependent osx apps both fight for camera use. Anyways just a thought. Always had issues when Skype was open
Wish you the best

CDMarr

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2013
Same Problem

hi,

Just wondering if you found any solution to this problem as I am having exactly the same issue with my new model 27inch iMac?

Facetime doesn't recognise the camera, nor photo booth or skype.

Seems like it may be a factory fault.

Cheers

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
hi,

Just wondering if you found any solution to this problem as I am having exactly the same issue with my new model 27inch iMac?

Facetime doesn't recognise the camera, nor photo booth or skype.

Seems like it may be a factory fault.

Cheers

I would try a factory reset (if your not sure how to google it). Erase the HD and reinstall OSX and see if that sorts it out. If it does then it was software and sorted.

nerval

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2013
NYC
Same problem here.

Just on the phone with Apple support and tried everything. I'm going to get a new machine. (Had option of repairing). Very annoying. First new machine in 7 years

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
This is effin ridic that apple can't even get simple crap like this right. I'm currently waitin on my third replacement lets see what kind of issues awaits me

Reactions: komatsu

cansail

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2013
Camera problem solved

I had the same issue as those here and called Apple Support (I was still inside my 90 day window for free phone support). The tech talked me through resetting my PRAM and voila! The iSight Camera is working again. He said the problem might have been due to a power surge.

smoreplz

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2013
Any Solutions?

Hi everyone, I'm having the same issue with my 27" imac too!

I even went back to the store and got a replacement! and my 2nd 27" imac is having the same exact problem.

Facetime won't launch a video feed, and photobooth is stuck with the spinning grey wheel.

Has any one found a solution? I even reset the PRAM, no good.

Thanks!

e1g

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2011
La Puente, CA
Quick Question, i had opened my Photo Booth/facetime and I noticed the green night doesn't turn on next to the isight camera...Is there no light on the new iMac? (I have 27 inch model)

Thanks

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Had to bump this. Just noticed I was getting this issue on my 2012 iMac not too long ago and fortunately I've found a fix.

What I did was log out of my account and went into the guest account. I loaded up FaceTime and my FaceTime HD camera started working again showing my image on screen. Tried Photobooth and success as well.

After these successful tests, I logged out of guest, went back into my account and now my FaceTime HD camera works now for all applications.

Hope this helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.