Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dingclancy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2011
So the ipad mini has been for close to a couple of months, and I would like to know how well you are typing in landscape orientation with full set of fingers.

I have tried it on at the store and I find it adequate, but it would not substitute for the experience of people who actually have it and use it in the real world.

So any intel here would help.

One thing I probably won't like is how they cut the bezel on the side, so that when you type in landscape it feels like you are teetering the edges, which makes for uncomfortable typing positions on the table or on the bed. Anybody else get this?

I like typing on the full-sized iPad's virtual keyboard, and it has allowed me to be productive at work. So any experience with the iPad mini will help out a lot.

Thanks in advance!

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I always use the split keyboard when typing in landscape mode on my ipad3. I imagine one ought to do the same on the ipad mini. So cradle both sides in your palms, and type with your thumbs?

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
I always use the split keyboard when typing in landscape mode on my ipad3. I imagine one ought to do the same on the ipad mini. So cradle both sides in your palms, and type with your thumbs?

This. Although, I've never used split keyboard -- I could never get comfortable with it.

Most iPad mini users, from what I know at least, use their device almost like a large phone. They grip the sides to type on the keyboard. The iPad, on the other hand, is too big to be able to reach all of the keys with thumb typing, so we're forced to treat the touch screen keyboard as if it were an actual computer keyboard.

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
This. Although, I've never used split keyboard -- I could never get comfortable with it.

Most iPad mini users, from what I know at least, use their device almost like a large phone. They grip the sides to type on the keyboard. The iPad, on the other hand, is too big to be able to reach all of the keys with thumb typing, so we're forced to treat the touch screen keyboard as if it were an actual computer keyboard.

This. It would be next to impossible to use two full hands on the mini's keyboard, unless you have ridiculously small hands.

I use thumbs in either portrait or landscape, depending on my mood. Slightly faster in portrait than in landscape.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
I can type fine, and I don't have small hands. People that say they can't type on it because of big hands are probably just not comfortable with having their hands so close together.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.