Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Great new feature! Using technology to make people's lives easier. :):apple::)
If you scratch a bit too hard, you sometimes make the numbers/letters illegible; has that been addressed yet?

I just got an iTunes gift card, the new ones say to scratch or peel label off, so I peeled it off, it came off easily, no issues.

Namtaro

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2011
Camera option is NOT there:confused:

You must be doing something wrong cause I just used it today... redeemed my first card manually and the second one I remembered about this feature and tried it out... worked perfectly! I thought it might be using the barcode or something so I blocked it and it still read the code.

Oh and to the person scratching it, all the new cards I've seen have a peel away sticker. :)

I don't see the option to select "camera" either, in Australia.

----------

can confirm, after now logging into the USA store, which i also have an account for, that the camera options seems to be for the USA store only. It's showing now, where as in the australian store, it didn't give the option :(
why of why??

Works here in Canada as well.

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
You must be doing something wrong cause I just used it today... redeemed my first card manually and the second one I remembered about this feature and tried it out... worked perfectly! I thought it might be using the barcode or something so I blocked it and it still read the code.

Oh and to the person scratching it, all the new cards I've seen have a peel away sticker. :)

Works here in Canada as well.

He's NOT doing anything wrong. I don't have the camera option either and there are a bunch of threads in Apple support with the same problem.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States

Like what? What do you do for the camera option to come up? Do you have a special button you press, or what? I have nothing. The "Redeem" screen for me in itunes only gives me a place to put in a number. That is all. I have the latest itunes and the latest Lion, I keep up with all the updates. No reason, that I know of, why it should not be there for me. I have added to several threads on Apple's own website, but, no one has answers yet.

PaulMoore

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2007
Like what? What do you do for the camera option to come up? Do you have a special button you press, or what? I have nothing. The "Redeem" screen for me in itunes only gives me a place to put in a number. That is all. I have the latest itunes and the latest Lion, I keep up with all the updates. No reason, that I know of, why it should not be there for me. I have added to several threads on Apple's own website, but, no one has answers yet.

Not working on my iMac either with latest iTunes running... disappointing

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
I gave up...loaded my itunes gift cards manually...got Mountain Lion, updated my mac from lion>mountain lion, now when I go to itunes redeem it gives me the option to use the camera :p :p :p ...I still think it should be working w/Lion:confused:

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Just tried this today with three cards and wow! --Can't believe how fast it was, the light in the room wasn't that great either. I'm spoiled forever now.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Wow, nice feature!

Just used this feature today for the first time. It worked as advertised on my (new) iMac. Very impressed with little things like these.

P.S. -- I initially made the mistake of launching my iMac's "Mac App Store" application. And then I went to Redeem, and I was confused why I did not see the Use Camera option. It took me a few seconds to realize... DUH... it's supposed to work only on the iTunes application. So I closed the App Store window and launched iTunes to redeem using the iSight camera. And voila! Worked flawlessly.

2012 iMac / OSX 10.8.2

panda bear

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2010
I just got an iTunes gift card, the new ones say to scratch or peel label off, so I peeled it off, it came off easily, no issues.

Peeled my first one.. worked perfectly.

Scratched my second one, because I wasn't thinking.. did not work. I had to type it in.

Also, now that I think about it.. it may not have worked because I didn't scratch off ALL of the scratcy-offy-stuff. I just did it like I would any other normal card.. until I could see the code.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.