Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
They're attracting a lot of attention... And I'm almost positive they'll outsource Apple eventually. Much more capital, although less cash.

Goldenarmz97

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2011
Just left iPhone for an S3, iOS is definitely easier to use. On Android, Visual voicemail is a separate app, their stock email app doesn't support push for yahoo & a pain to set up & I couldn't connect to the app store for a couple hours. With all that said, I'm really beginning to enjoy this device. The size is amazing and I love the ability to customize the device. We'll see if I end up sticking with the device or going back to the iphone.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Google Now is highly accurate, it's the voice dictation when sending a message or email that sucks and makes mistakes regularly. Also, you can't just say "email John brown" or " text John brown" and start speaking your message like you can with Siri. Huge bonus.
Actually, you can. I just did this with Google Now on my GS3 and it worked perfectly fine.

Last edited:

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
Just left iPhone for an S3, iOS is definitely easier to use. On Android, Visual voicemail is a separate app, their stock email app doesn't support push for yahoo & a pain to set up & I couldn't connect to the app store for a couple hours. With all that said, I'm really beginning to enjoy this device. The size is amazing and I love the ability to customize the device. We'll see if I end up sticking with the device or going back to the iphone.

I hope to god you aren't using AT&T's stock apps. Never let their crap infest your phone. Go into phone Settings -> Apps ~> click on each AT&T app and then click disable or Undo updates. This way, when an ota OS update comes out, you reenable the apps, get update, then disable them again.

You want Google Voice for anything phone related, GMail for email (an update will be out shortly making GMail much, much better. I have used it.) as you can add other accounts like Hotmail and Yahoo to it.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
Both Google Now and Siri suck here in Australia. For example, sports integration is something they both trumpet (and something Apple specifically advertises as working in Australia), yet neither work with sports here. For example, I asked Google Now for the results of a Canberra Raiders game... and now have a card dedicated to the Oakland Raiders (which greatly amused an American friend of mine, he said at least I'd know how much they get beaten by every time they play now- so I ended up keeping it). Siri said she wished she knew more about Rugby. Siri and Apple Maps also don't do turn by turn directions in Australia. Good job Apple!

Google Now also seemed very spotty with offering me cards. For example, I once did a quick search for a florist on my N7, then I had a card the next day telling me how many minutes it would take to get to various florists, depending on where I was. Then not long after I searched for a pet store and got no card. I've also never been able to get a card for things like movie times. All in all, both have been pretty useless. The only thing I ever use Siri for is for sending texts while driving.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
I hope to god you aren't using AT&T's stock apps. Never let their crap infest your phone. Go into phone Settings -> Apps ~> click on each AT&T app and then click disable or Undo updates. This way, when an ota OS update comes out, you reenable the apps, get update, then disable them again.

You want Google Voice for anything phone related, GMail for email (an update will be out shortly making GMail much, much better. I have used it.) as you can add other accounts like Hotmail and Yahoo to it.

If you are using those apps, you need to do the following:
- Root
- Install Titanium Backup
- Uninstall crappy apps

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Both Google Now and Siri suck here in Australia. For example, sports integration is something they both trumpet (and something Apple specifically advertises as working in Australia), yet neither work with sports here. For example, I asked Google Now for the results of a Canberra Raiders game... and now have a card dedicated to the Oakland Raiders (which greatly amused an American friend of mine, he said at least I'd know how much they get beaten by every time they play now- so I ended up keeping it). Siri said she wished she knew more about Rugby. Siri and Apple Maps also don't do turn by turn directions in Australia. Good job Apple!

Google Now also seemed very spotty with offering me cards. For example, I once did a quick search for a florist on my N7, then I had a card the next day telling me how many minutes it would take to get to various florists, depending on where I was. Then not long after I searched for a pet store and got no card. I've also never been able to get a card for things like movie times. All in all, both have been pretty useless. The only thing I ever use Siri for is for sending texts while driving.

Doesn't really surprise me. Most Apple apps are designed to work best in the US... (correct me if I'm wrong).

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
If you are using those apps, you need to do the following:
- Root
- Install Titanium Backup
- Uninstall crappy apps

I had to assume he wasn't rooted, which is why i gave the directions i did. And uninstalling at&t apps can be a bad idea if you want those at&t ota's. Easier just to Freeze them. (Although i personally killed them, as i never use at&t's updates. AOKP from Task and KToones is my ROM of choice along with Task's Underwear Kernel. :D As good as CM10 with extra goodies for Nexus owners to change the Menu bar.

aimeeinohio

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2010
I switched from iPhone to the S3 as well...After a week of initial frustration, I really began to like this phone. My frustrations were from being in iOS for so long, and everything being easy and automatic, that I forgot how to do stuff! :D There's still a lot I don't know about this phone....but I am LOVING IT.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I switched from iPhone to the S3 as well...After a week of initial frustration, I really began to like this phone. My frustrations were from being in iOS for so long, and everything being easy and automatic, that I forgot how to do stuff! :D There's still a lot I don't know about this phone....but I am LOVING IT.

That happened to me too, although I managed to inch back to the iPhone shortly thereafter.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012

Yep, learning how a mobile OS is supposed to function has a bit of a learning curve. Android is more akin to using a computer than iOS. With iOS, so much is automated and control left in Apple's hands. After you learn your way around the S3 and Android OS, you really do see what a smartphone should be capable of. To me, going back to iOS would be like going back in time to 2007. Very little has changed with regards to user interaction and the iphone/ios.

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring

wait until google now works for you :D

FlingZXC

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2012
Slll ? Nah . If Sllll is being release , I think most people will switch from ios to android .

raptorstv

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2011
iPhone 5 vs Samsung Galaxy S3

Why are many people foolish enough to think that SGS3 is a better phone than the iPhone 5? iPhone 5 is definitely a better phone and I have tried both phones... SGS3 is laggy and many Android apps are buggy

Smithwicks

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2011
Why are many people foolish enough to think that SGS3 is a better phone than the iPhone 5? iPhone 5 is definitely a better phone and I have tried both phones... SGS3 is laggy and many Android apps are buggy

Sounds like a case of user error.

the.sheepdog

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2009
Central FL
My wife and mother in law went from crappy phones to iphones this december. I of course had to be different and went to the Galaxy SIII. So far I love the user control over almost everything. iPhone had gotten too static for me.

It seems to be artificially easy for those who need no challenges it seems to me. Perfect for the Mother in law. The S3 is a challenge sometimes and I like that. I do think Android is a better OS also.

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
If you could have the option of Galaxy S3 hardware with vanilla Android, it would have been the perfect device. It really would, and rooting / installing a custom doesn't count. That comes with it's own set of perils and consistency issues.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Surprised this thread is still alive. Didn't expect that... Sweet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.