Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matej617

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2012
I need some help with my iMac G4. It's extremely slow and I think it's because of the operating system. I am currently running OS X 10.4.11 on it. Will it work faster if I install OS X 10.3, or should I just reinstall 10.4?
specs: 800mHz PPC, 512 mb of RAM

Thank you.

chuckiehina

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2007
I need some help with my iMac G4. It's extremely slow and I think it's because of the operating system. I am currently running OS X 10.4.11 on it. Will it work faster if I install OS X 10.3, or should I just reinstall 10.4?
specs: 800mHz PPC, 512 mb of RAM

Thank you.

1. You might get more responses if you asked this in the Power PC forum.

2. I suspect it is more a memory issue than an OS issue. Stick with Tiger but put at least 512MB in the bottom slot of the G4 iMac. Also try to minimize the number of Dashboard apps, especially if you have a lot (more than half a dozen) of them running.

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
I have one of those. How much stuff do you have clogging up the hard drive? What kind of page outs do you get from your memory usage? Mine runs slow, relatively speaking, but I don't really ask it to do to much. What are you expecting it to do?

matej617

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2012
I will give it to my sister. She only uses computers for Facebook and Youtube, but the videos on youtube are extremely slow unless you change the quality to 240p every time.

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
I will give it to my sister. She only uses computers for Facebook and Youtube, but the videos on youtube are extremely slow unless you change the quality to 240p every time.

If you use a separate application called Mactubes and change the player to quicktime you should be able to play 420p.

matej617

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2012
Thanks I'll give that a try. Btw about the RAM upgrade, how can I know which chip will work with my machine?

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
The iMac has 1 user upgradable slot and 1 soldered in ram slot. http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple/memory/iMac/G4_700MHz_800MHz

Neither slot is soldered in....both slots are upgradable (I've done it), but one is easier than the other. The internal slot requires taking the base apart and changing the RAM, then re-applying heat transfer compound to the two surfaces before you button it back up....there are videos out there showing how to do it for each model - there are slight differences depending on which model you have.

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
Neither slot is soldered in....both slots are upgradable (I've done it), but one is easier than the other. The internal slot requires taking the base apart and changing the RAM, then re-applying heat transfer compound to the two surfaces before you button it back up....there are videos out there showing how to do it for each model - there are slight differences depending on which model you have.

Ah right my mistake i was thinking that they were the same like the 12" iBooks and Powerbooks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.