Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:20 PM   #201
rei101
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnye97 View Post
Remember when Apple focused on only a few core platforms and became wildly successful? I really think think they might be going a little from the mark with the TV.
The old time when we were happy and... we knew it!!!!
rei101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:19 PM   #202
MacDav
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei101 View Post
Why would I replace my TV?
Because it stopped working? If mine died I would probably replace it.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post
At the end of every single year, we see a rumor that the TV is 2 years out... I guess they'll be right eventually.
Yeah... A broken clock (Analog) is right twice a day.
MacDav is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:30 PM   #203
AnalyzeThis
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsameds View Post
It's laughable all these people saying "Why would I replace my TV?".

Think back 10 years. Your phone was perfectly fine - it made calls and texts - it did everything you needed, right? You didn't feel the need for a tablet, why would you, your desktop did all you need. Analogue TV broadcasts were adequate, and your brand new massive 28 inch CRT TV was the bee's knees.

Why would you replace your TV?

Because Apple will make it more than just a TV, God knows what they're cooking up. I personally cannot wait to see what they've got up their sleeves but I'll bet my bottom dollar it will blow people's socks off.
If Steve Jobs could not figure it out, no one could. The Apple is not same Apple it used to be. Now, it is just a bunch of squabblers at the top level. The rest are bunch of good privates, but they lost their Commander and Chief.
AnalyzeThis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:35 PM   #204
AutoUnion39
macrumors 68030

I've been wanting to replace my 4-5 yr old 40inch Bravia LCD with something newer for a while now. Hasn't been a priority to get a new one, but if this Apple iTV comes out, then I finally have a reason

But I'm just not sure how the TV will pan out because no one beats Samsung when it comes to LCD panels and I'm sure Apple will try to source them from LG or Sharp, which isn't the same at all.

[/COLOR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalyzeThis View Post
If Steve Jobs could not figure it out, no one could. The Apple is not same Apple it was. Now it is just a bunch of squabblers at the top level. The rest are bunch of good privates, but they lost their Commander and Chef.
Let's not forget that Apple made it clear they were not making a phone a couple years ago because of the tight grip carriers had on the phones, but we all know that Apple completely changed that with the iPhone, when Cingular let Apple do whatever they want.

I'm sure Apple will find a large partner in the TV business (who wouldn't want to partner with them?), just like they found Cingular.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoyblazed View Post
I'm guessing this well set the benchmark price of $2,000
I'm sure, it will be much more than that. $1,500-2k gets you a higher end LED Bravia or Samsung Smart TV, but we also have to factor in the usual Apple tax.
AutoUnion39 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:48 PM   #205
AidenShaw
macrumors G5

55in ?

Why so small?

Unless they're also planning on a fully-featured STB that can connect to any monitor or projector....

And will it be 1080p, or will Apple say that 720p is HD....
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:55 PM   #206
Sitti
macrumors newbie

At one point, every company always does something that ends its glory. Apple television set could be it.
Sitti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:08 PM   #207
AidenShaw
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitti View Post
At one point, every company always does something that ends its glory. Apple television set could be it.
I thought that Apple Maps held that position.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:23 PM   #208
MacDav
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenShaw View Post
Apple has had many failures over the years. Remember the "G4 Cube". Steve Jobs thought that was the killer Mac for it's time (fail). How soon they forget. Even a major product failure won't be that damaging. Besides, It doesn't make much sense that Apple would design a full scale T.V. set. It makes more sense to use HDMI to connect to the T.V. of your choice. I guess they could do both, but seems unlikely.
MacDav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:53 AM   #209
Ay_Zimmy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDav View Post
Apple has had many failures over the years. Remember the "G4 Cube". Steve Jobs thought that was the killer Mac for it's time (fail). How soon they forget. Even a major product failure won't be that damaging. Besides, It doesn't make much sense that Apple would design a full scale T.V. set. It makes more sense to use HDMI to connect to the T.V. of your choice. I guess they could do both, but seems unlikely.
It makes perfect sense. Tv is America and why wouldn't apple want their product in the living room? Plus it's a market to hit. Samsung came out with their "smart tv" and Microsoft has a huge advantage with Xbox 360. An apple tv product could do many things. Their tv will be a machine, you just have to have the vision. Siri, much more upscale apps etc.
Ay_Zimmy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 03:09 AM   #210
Jsameds
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalyzeThis View Post
If Steve Jobs could not figure it out, no one could. The Apple is not same Apple it used to be. Now, it is just a bunch of squabblers at the top level. The rest are bunch of good privates, but they lost their Commander and Chief.
Who's to say he wasn't working on something behind closed doors?
Jsameds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:42 AM   #211
Sitti
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenShaw View Post
Apple Maps isn't very costly investment at all. If Apple really wants to do full TV set, that would require very big investment to start with. And if it doesn't work out, it would look really bad on financial report. Also I seriously doubt Apple can sustain popularity of other products forever.

I agree with others, it doesn't make sense to make full TV set. Apple TV (HDMI set box) makes sense. I buy mac computers but never wanted to buy mac monitors. I can't see myself buying Apple TV set. I guess its going to be Sharp or LG display integrated with upgraded Apple TV and web cam.
Sitti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 05:39 PM   #212
Andrew K.
macrumors 65816

Quote:
That is the challenge Apple has to answer.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 06:46 PM   #213
mobiletech
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitti View Post
Apple Maps isn't very costly investment at all. If Apple really wants to do full TV set, that would require very big investment to start with. And if it doesn't work out, it would look really bad on financial report. Also I seriously doubt Apple can sustain popularity of other products forever.

I agree with others, it doesn't make sense to make full TV set. Apple TV (HDMI set box) makes sense. I buy mac computers but never wanted to buy mac monitors. I can't see myself buying Apple TV set. I guess its going to be Sharp or LG display integrated with upgraded Apple TV and web cam.
If I read everything correctly they will offer an add on for all HD tvs. However if you need a new TV they will offer a TV with the box inside albeit a few exclusive abilities.
mobiletech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:11 PM   #214
Greg.
macrumors 6502

Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:12 PM   #215
patentlawyer
Banned

Quote:

Yeah... A broken clock (Analog) is right twice a day.
Digital too, though.
patentlawyer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:21 PM   #216
oftheheavens
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by levitynyc View Post
Why would I want an inferior LED tv over my 63" plasma?
i hope this is a joke....plasma is garbage compared to an LED.
oftheheavens is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:51 PM   #217
oftheheavens
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by albusseverus View Post
Likelihood of success for a premium television under 60"? Zero.
Nobody's going to pay the Apple-tax for a screen that small.

Apple would have to be doing them iPad-cheap at 55" or less. Maybe Apple has become a consumer company, after all.

As for the camera comment, we'll see if Apple is serious about customer privacy. If there's a camera, then forget it. Ditto for a microphone, too.

Just being Not-A-"Smart" television, would be a huge selling point, though.
really? until just a year or two ago, you had to be mega rich or watch a projector (horrible picture) to get a 60 inch tv, and truthfully unless you have a humongous room and are trying to watch it from the kitchen while cooking or grabbing a beer or something, 60 inches is overkill and just something to show off to people that can't afford an 60 inch LED.

and who is to say they don't come out with one that big anyways, we know NOTHING at this point.

Anyways even a 46 inch LED or "retina" (which is what i have in my "man cave" (smaller room) is just fine for playing games, watching movies or anything else. so my point is if unless you have a HUGE room or are just trying to show off to people that can't afford a 60 inch tv, there really isn't a point behind one that big, i think the biggest tv i have in my house is 48 inches and it is a beautiful picture and i can still read subtitles from the kitchen.

with that said when i but my apple products (im an fanboi) i buy the best and biggest apple product i can get so i would do as follows;

-buy the biggest apple tv to replace the 46 inch samsung LED in the man cave
-move the LED to replace the 48 inch samsung LCD in the living room
-move the 48 inch LCD to the bedroom to replace the 40 inch LED samsun in the bedroom
-put the 40 inch LCD in either the spare room or my sons room depending on his age when apple finally comes out with a tv (he is 4 now and i will not put a tv in a toddlers room, if they come out with a tv i feel worthy of replacing the LED samsung in the man cave when he is 7 or so i will put the 40 inch in his bedroom)

last statement, to say if they don't make a 60 inch or bigger you won't buy it is kinda silly unless it is your only tv and you have HUGE living room.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 04:06 PM   #218
yoak
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheheavens View Post
I really hope this is a joke, plasma is way above any LCD (there are no LED TVs, it's marketing language) when it comes to image quality
yoak is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 05:52 PM   #219
oftheheavens
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoak View Post
I really hope this is a joke, plasma is way above any LCD (there are no LED TVs, it's marketing language) when it comes to image quality
plasma is inferior, which is why it sells for less and are becoming scare on the shelves. There is such a thing as LED tv's cause for one thing i own one. I had a plasma in the house at one point and it was (comparatively) a crappy picture, it could burn images into the screen, it was thicker, was easier to leave color indention(by touching the screen to hard), less Hz and refresh rate, all just all around a worse tv.

on the other hand the LCD's that i have in the house (which are worse than the LED's i also have currently) are almost to good of a picture, you can see the imperfections of the actors skin complexion, much higher hz and refresh rate for video games (which all look amazing), you can push rather hard on them without worrying about leaving a color stain, are about half the thickness, and many more advantages. LED's are by far the best picture tv on the market. the only tv's that i have EVER seen that look better are the new ones that have like 5 colors or whatever instead of 4l

so maybe it is your personal preference to have a plasma but it is proven that LED's are far superior.

just saw you were from norway so maybe you just don't have LED's there, so you might want to do some googling
Old Dec 25, 2012, 01:45 AM   #220
yoak
macrumors 65816

Quote:
plasma is inferior, which is why it sells for less and are becoming scare on the shelves. There is such a thing as LED tv's cause for one thing i own one. I had a plasma in the house at one point and it was (comparatively) a crappy picture, it could burn images into the screen, it was thicker, was easier to leave color indention(by touching the screen to hard), less Hz and refresh rate, all just all around a worse tv.

on the other hand the LCD's that i have in the house (which are worse than the LED's i also have currently) are almost to good of a picture, you can see the imperfections of the actors skin complexion, much higher hz and refresh rate for video games (which all look amazing), you can push rather hard on them without worrying about leaving a color stain, are about half the thickness, and many more advantages. LED's are by far the best picture tv on the market. the only tv's that i have EVER seen that look better are the new ones that have like 5 colors or whatever instead of 4l

so maybe it is your personal preference to have a plasma but it is proven that LED's are far superior.

just saw you were from norway so maybe you just don't have LED's there, so you might want to do some googling
What is proven exactly? You obviously don't have a clue, but maybe you prefer the inferior plasticypicture quality you LCD Is offering ;-)

http://hometheater.about.com/od/tele...lcdtvfacts.htm

http://reviews.cnet.com/led-tvs-revi...u-need-to-know

It ofcourse all personal preference, but it's also a lot of marketing talk and miss information flying around.

It also depends on what you use your tv for. I mainly watch movies etc and plasma gives a far more accurate picture than a LCD will.

Happy holliday
www.sombrafilm.com

Last edited by yoak; Dec 25, 2012 at 01:51 AM.
yoak is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 04:49 AM   #221
MacDav
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by patentlawyer View Post
Digital too, though.
Only if the display can be read. Without power it can't be read. If it's a mechanical display then you can read it without power, but mechanical is analog.
MacDav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 05:06 AM   #222
adder7712
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I'll take a good plasma over a LED-backlit LCD TV.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 08:44 AM   #223
patentlawyer
Banned

Quote:
Only if the display can be read. Without power it can't be read. If it's a mechanical display then you can read it without power, but mechanical is analog.
true
patentlawyer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:05 PM   #224
tsmarx
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Lighten up - no one has a gun to your head here! If you don't want to replace it, you don't have to! But as others have said, I wouldn't shoot it down until it's actually out. How many people thought the iPad would be useless and then ended up buying it.
tsmarx is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion