Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sharmilaben

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2012
Hi I have apple TV + airport extreme + airport express + ipad3 + iphone 4 two PCs + Denon receiver 3803.

PC # 1 - Desktop - Windows8

This pc has
One hard drive for operating system
Second hard drive for data - music/docs/movies/etc

PC # 2 - Laptop

This pc runs - Windows 8
This one just has hard drive for OS with some space left over to copy files etc.

So - here are the questions
1. Is there a way to share the itunes library between the two?
2. Can I control the itunes library on my desktop using my ipad to have movies stored on my desktop streamed to apple TV?
3. Would it be better if I connect the hard drive with all the information to airport extreme? Would that mean faster transfer of information?

BoB 7

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2007
1. Is there a way to share the itunes library between the two?

-I don't have windows 8, but should be similar. Yes, turn on home sharing in iTunes. I think it is in the advanced menu. You will need to leave on the desktop to keep the library available to up to 5(i think) more devices.

2. Can I control the itunes library on my desktop using my ipad to have movies stored on my desktop streamed to apple TV?

I think so. There is an app called REMOTE which allows you to control your ATV and i think it lets you control the iTunes library too, in case you are just listening to music without the ATV on. I have REMOTE installed in my iPhone, not iPad, and it is much easier to type versus the ATV remote.

3. Would it be better if I connect the hard drive with all the information to airport extreme? Would that mean faster transfer of information?

Depending on how far your devices are from your wireless access point, it is very fast to stream video. It will probably take you longer to select a video in the ATV interface, then to begin streaming. I have multiple drives set up in my desktop, one for OS, one for iTunes library, and a third for automated backup of the library. My desktop is hardwired to Airport Extreme, and my ATV is about 30 feet away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.