Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JCLrox

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2012
I have a third gen iPod classic, 40gb, which works fine until it gets plugged into a computer. It doesn't show up in iTunes, on the desktop, or in disk utility. I have tried this on multiple computers. The iPod shows an Apple logo, and then either turns off or asks me to select a language. Once I select a language, it shows the menu and displays an empty battery at the top of the screen. Other times, it doesn't prompt me to select a language and just turns off. If it does this, I can get it working again by charging it. How can I fix this?

Last edited:

JCLrox

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2012
Okay, I've figured out that it does sync via Firewire 400, but will still not sync over USB. Suggestions?

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
Okay, I've figured out that it does sync via Firewire 400, but will still not sync over USB. Suggestions?

That's normal. The third-generation iPods are not supposed to sync though USB, so you'll have to keep using the original FireWire adaptor. This means that you can't use many accessories for newer models as well.

JCLrox

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2012
I know these iPods can't be charged via USB, but they can be synced with USB. They could only be charged with Firewire, but could be synced with either.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
I know these iPods can't be charged via USB, but they can be synced with USB. They could only be charged with Firewire, but could be synced with either.

Sorry for not being clear. The original cables (The only one you can use to sync through USB, others should not work) had both FireWire and USB. The USB end is used for syncing while the FireWire end is used for both.

JCLrox

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2012
I think I get it now! I wasn't using the original USB cord that came with the iPod, I was using an iPhone one. Is that what I was doing wrong?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.