Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AbacabMR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
Hi All !

To those who have migrated from an 'old' IPT to the new IPT5...

Do you notice any difference between your IPT's in terms of the 'travel' distance under the home button ? My IPT5 has a slightly shorter 'travel' under the button. It works just fine. I'm just curious as to whether this is normal or not. We have an IPT2, IPT4 and an IPAD4... the travel distance is 'normal'. This new IPT5's is noticeably shorter.

I don't feel like returning it and if this does not potentially impact its long term reliability... I'll be just fine with this. I got this last Saturday so I'm guessing it can be returned if need be.

Depending on the responses, I might go to the store in a week or so to talk to someone over there about it.

Thanks in advance.

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
Hi All !

To those who have migrated from an 'old' IPT to the new IPT5...

Do you notice any difference between your IPT's in terms of the 'travel' distance under the home button ? My IPT5 has a slightly shorter 'travel' under the button. It works just fine. I'm just curious as to whether this is normal or not. We have an IPT2, IPT4 and an IPAD4... the travel distance is 'normal'. This new IPT5's is noticeably shorter.

I don't feel like returning it and if this does not potentially impact its long term reliability... I'll be just fine with this. I got this last Saturday so I'm guessing it can be returned if need be.

Depending on the responses, I might go to the store in a week or so to talk to someone over there about it.

Thanks in advance.

I don't own one, but the new iPod is a lot thinner than previous models so it would make sense that the button would have less travel.

AbacabMR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
Tks for your post. I called Apple support (having one courtesy call after my purchase) and they mentioned the same thing.

I booked a 'Genius Bar' appointment next Saturday to have this checked out. There is barely any 'travel' so I'll get this checked and after one week since my initial purchase it might just be exchanged if it is indeed abnormal.

I'll be able to compare with all the demos they have on site.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
I heard the new iPhone has a modified home button to give it more reliability. Maybe they did the same to the iPod Touch 5th gen...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.