Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SchuettS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
Got my wife an iphone 5 for christmas and it has a nick in the glass/bezel on top and something is wedged in between the screen and bezel on the bottom left. It looks like a thin piece of paper and it wont come out. How could this pass inspection? It was the first thing I noticed when I looked at it. Good job Apple...

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 370

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Welcome to the wonderful world of iPhone 5. They all have flaws, people just don't notice them. Yours is on the worse side though. I'd take it back and exchange it. Quality control hasn't changed at all since September with the iPhone 5. Trust me, I have been through so many.

I am keeping my current one because the only "issue" is that there is a small speck of dust in the corner. Doesn't affect anything though, but still pretty ridiculous.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
Same issue here with an unlocked white iPhone 5 that I bought for a Christmas gift. I don't think Apple uses any quality control especially in regards to the iPhone 5.

WOLF COUNSELOR

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2012
Miami, Florida
They don't all have flaws. I inspected mine before I walked out of the store with it and everything was as it should be. I have had the phone for over a week now and everything is working great, including battery life. :apple:

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
^ I think its the design they chose to go with. It's very hard to manufacture according to the Chinese. I would have loved it if they had kept the 4S form factor and glass. But last month at Apple I had them bring me out at least 10 iPhones before I walked away with one that only had "minor" flaws.

Call me OCD all you like, its unacceptable to pay $749 for a phone that has dust in the camera, or loose buttons, or loose screens, or scratched screens.

My latest iPhone 5 is ok, but like I mentioned above it has a speck of dust in the lens and a very, very small light scratch on the screen.

----------

They don't all have flaws. I inspected mine before I walked out of the store with it and everything was as it should be. I have had the phone for over a week now and everything is working great, including battery life. :apple:

Yes they do, you just don't know what to look for. I bet you all the money in the world if I handled your phone I'd find something not right with it.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Another thread on 'quality control' of the iPhone 5.

To add balance not all iPhone 5's have issues seen or unseen. After reading threads on here and elsewhere when I opened the box in the apple store I looked over it with a fine tooth comb.

No issues with the unit at all.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Mine is still in perfect condition. No flaws of any kind. Not to say there hasn't been any problems with any of the iPhone 5s, but I suspect most have been fine.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Mine is still in perfect condition. No flaws of any kind. Not to say there hasn't been any problems with any of the iPhone 5s, but I suspect most have been fine.

Well can you logically explain why the Apple sales rep had to bring out at least 7 iPhone 5s for me?

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
The great thing is apple will allow you to get a new one until your satisfied. But it looks like apple choose a very hard phone to make.

----------

Well can you logically explain why the Apple sales rep had to bring out at least 7 iPhone 5s for me?

Your looking for problems that's why.

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
Got my wife an iphone 5 for christmas and it has a nick in the glass/bezel on top and something is wedged in between the screen and bezel on the bottom left. It looks like a thin piece of paper and it wont come out. How could this pass inspection? It was the first thing I noticed when I looked at it. Good job Apple...

Welcome to 4 months ago news. :rolleyes:

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area

First it was 10 now it's 7? Yes the quality control wasn't as good on the 5 but not all iPhone 5s have flaws. My black 32gb was perfect and so was gfs second white 16gb 5.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
That's why I buy refurbs. Not only are they cheaper but I expect some blemish. No guilt, no foul. ^)

This one though is glaring, I would inspect with loupe and see whether it can be remove with a fine exacto.

SchuettS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
Welcome to the wonderful world of iPhone 5. They all have flaws, people just don't notice them. Yours is on the worse side though. I'd take it back and exchange it. Quality control hasn't changed at all since September with the iPhone 5. Trust me, I have been through so many.

I am keeping my current one because the only "issue" is that there is a small speck of dust in the corner. Doesn't affect anything though, but still pretty ridiculous.

2 others in my family got iphone 5s and I couldnt find a problem with them.

I only started this thread to show what can get passed Apples quality inspection.

The nick on the top of the phone left a mark in the glass and on the bezel. Someone recently posted that there screen just randomly cracked, I can see a reason why it would if it came with a nick like mine.

----------

Welcome to 4 months ago news. :rolleyes:

Someone else posted that they had something wedged in their screen/bezel too? oh ok! didnt know that.

----------

Another thread on 'quality control' of the iPhone 5.

To add balance not all iPhone 5's have issues seen or unseen. After reading threads on here and elsewhere when I opened the box in the apple store I looked over it with a fine tooth comb.

No issues with the unit at all.

I wouldve looked it over if it wasn't a present for someone else.

Vell843

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2011
I got my iPhone 5 from "the shack" (radioshack) about two months ago with no flaws at all. I made sure that I inspected it before evening purchasing it, and this was before I was aware of "scuff gate".

SchuettS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
I'm sure a lot of them are fine but the OP is trying to make a point on how his got past QC with that thing wedged in there.

Thanks and that I was. It's like looking at a supermodel with a huge pimple on her nose. Your going to notice it right away, wish apple would have noticed this flaw. Oh well, I'll get it replaced tmr.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
I wish I could get a 5 without a scratch or dent but I have given up hope. The one I kept has 3 small dents on the phone. Luckily they are small but disappointing.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
That's why I buy refurbs. Not only are they cheaper but I expect some blemish. No guilt, no foul. ^)

This one though is glaring, I would inspect with loupe and see whether it can be remove with a fine exacto.

With previous iPhones I don't think there was refurbs this early tho.

Aug 5, 2012
Why do people keep buying the iphone 5 when there's so many problems.

Stop buying and Apple will start fixing!

RossMc

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
Newcastle, UK
It may be glue, I had something white stuck between where the glass and the metal meet on the back of the phone but not as much as your picture, Used my nail and managed to get it out, Phone is perfect condition now as far as I can see compared to the last one I had which had chips all over it.

SchuettS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
It may be glue, I had something white stuck between where the glass and the metal meet on the back of the phone but not as much as your picture, Used my nail and managed to get it out, Phone is perfect condition now as far as I can see compared to the last one I had which had chips all over it.

It's not glue. You'd be able to tell if I got a better pic. Looks like paper or plastic...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.