Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 25, 2012, 02:29 PM   #126
macchiato2009
macrumors 65816

it would be fun to see a tomahawk hitting this krap
macchiato2009 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 02:40 PM   #127
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Ortega View Post
Another apple design that focuses on style over substance.
Yeah, but to be fair, pretty much all luxury yaughts and cruise liners are like that these days. Why would you want to sail for lesurie during a storm?
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:21 PM   #128
yeah
macrumors 6502a

Steve Jobs: "Welcome to my yacht, yeah!"

Yeah: "I just came for the LTE-Advanced speed Wi-Fi"
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:48 PM   #129
Clown Boy
macrumors regular

At this time of year, when people can't even find a cup of clean water, what a vulgur, disgusting show of wealth.

Jobs was a Buddhist, Karma has no conscience...

Merry Christmas people.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 04:50 PM   #130
AidenShaw
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
Yeah, but to be fair, pretty much all luxury yaughts and cruise liners are like that these days. Why would you want to sail for lesurie during a storm?
There are lots of boats on the bottom of the ocean that show that you don't always get the weather for which you planned....
Old Dec 25, 2012, 04:55 PM   #131
patentlawyer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Boy View Post
At this time of year, when people can't even find a cup of clean water, what a vulgur, disgusting show of wealth.

Merry Christmas people.
You sound jealous.
patentlawyer is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 04:56 PM   #132
dutchi
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post
Irrelevant questions.

But here's the answer:
And what most here don't realize, what you see aren't iMacs. They were specially prepared. They are basically only monitored; were special prepared. The navigation and radar interface is running on embedded windows XP machines.

dutchi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 05:03 PM   #133
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:

Merry Christmas people.
Why is it disgusting? Steve Jobs earned the money to build that Yacht fair and square.
mrsir2009 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 05:13 PM   #134
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skika View Post
Thats funny.
Yes that it was to be transported by ship. What a joke. The boat looks like a harbor cruiser for dinner parties inside the harbor.

Who would even want a boat that size that could not cross an ocean on it's own hull. OK so Steve knew nothing about boats and bought a boat for dinner parties inside the San Fransico bay.

Oracle's Larry Elision has MUCH better taste in boats, a word apart. Roy Disney did too.
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 05:15 PM   #135
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by \-V-/ View Post
Who cares? Is it really ruining your day when the site talks about Jobs' yacht?
This is not the first time we've had a yacht article, I was only raising an point that it may be getting a little too much focus on a site reporting at the edge or out of it's domain.

Is it really ruining your day that I (personally) think there are improvements to be made?

You don't have to agree, it's just a suggestion, calm down - it's Christmas!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretm View Post
Ok, so it's news about the largest shareholder of Apple and I think Disney as well.
It's the only apple related news in the pre-christmas news dip...
Old Dec 25, 2012, 05:24 PM   #136
efktd
macrumors regular

So they just forgot to pay the bill. Prolly chump change for them.
efktd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 05:43 PM   #137
imageWIS
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSw View Post

It's like a Frank Lloyd Wright house: significant in its uniqueness and boldness of concept.
You are comparing FLW to this monstrosity? MASSIVE FAIL.

----------

I'm sure that all those Foxconn workers who committed suicide (and their families) are ecstatic that the Jobs family finally got their yacht... and that the yacht got all this important news coverage on Macrumors.
imageWIS is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 05:45 PM   #138
kingtj
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to kingtj
What a vulgar, disgusting comment ....

There's really no requirement that just because you're successful in life, you must #1 not ever make large purchases that let others know of your success, and #2 must use most of your wealth solving other people's problems.

I'd have a lot more sympathy for this position if you were complaining of some sort of government official lavishly spending his/her money on personal items. Whether you're talking about a dictator, a monarch or a member of the U.S. House of Representatives or Congress -- the same basic issue applies. They only obtain their riches by forcibly taking them from others, either via taxation or by granting special favors to special interests at the detriment to the rest of the people they rule over.

But Jobs' family has their fortune thanks to a very successful private business which contributed to the country's GNP and created plenty of jobs for others. The fact that disadvantaged people living in the wrong parts of the globe can't get a cup of clean water is really not something that has to be of their concern. If they CHOOSE to do so voluntarily? Great! But that's how charity should work.... People get interested in some cause and volunteer to contribute whatever amount of money (or time/labor) towards it they feel comfortable doing.

Quote:

Merry Christmas people.
kingtj is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 05:56 PM   #139
Konrad
macrumors 6502

Despite my lack of gaga factor for Jobs in general, he was very correct that one must tell people what to like or buy rather than waste time conducting research. Historically the populace was never in favor of grand project for few obvious reasons. They all filled their past time with bitching how bad, stupid and worthless something was, all to camouflage the indigenous lack of all components required to achieve, built anything in similar scale. Most would blabber to no end about the most absurd assumed and imagined faults without having any related knowledge to a given exercise suddenly morphing into accomplished designers, engineers, architects, monkeys and aliens to sound louder with their...bark. - It did not do something, the ever popular ugly factor, the dying children in Sudan and Congo, or anything at all mostly unrelated, just to bark a bit at something they don't understand. It all happened in the past, with the Eiffel tower, the pyramids, the early rotary aircraft, etc. This tabloid crowd is however of significant value in the process, as it is this populace of crazed consumers which at the end allow for the few to construct great things. So as long as you purchase the iPads, some popular detergent, of course you have a right to dismiss anything at all including the space programme and the tallest structures, however it does not mean you know anything about at all.

Last edited by Konrad; Dec 25, 2012 at 06:42 PM.
Konrad is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 06:51 PM   #140
crossifixio
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by yearofthe View Post
Is the Venus 2 going to be thinner and lighter with a new design?
haha
Old Dec 25, 2012, 06:57 PM   #141
Cubeeless
macrumors regular

Apple Special Event. October 2013. See Apple CEO Tim Cook unveil the new iShip mini, the new iShip with Retina display and the new iFrigate.

Apple's "Little More to Show You" event will be held at the California Marine Theater in San Jose, Calif. on Tuesday at 10 a.m. PT.
Cubeeless is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 07:38 PM   #142
imageWIS
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
Despite my lack of gaga factor for Jobs in general, he was very correct that one must tell people what to like or buy rather than waste time conducting research. Historically the populace was never in favor of grand project for few obvious reasons. They all filled their past time with bitching how bad, stupid and worthless something was, all to camouflage the indigenous lack of all components required to achieve, built anything in similar scale. Most would blabber to no end about the most absurd assumed and imagined faults without having any related knowledge to a given exercise suddenly morphing into accomplished designers, engineers, architects, monkeys and aliens to sound louder with their...bark. - It did not do something, the ever popular ugly factor, the dying children in Sudan and Congo, or anything at all mostly unrelated, just to bark a bit at something they don't understand. It all happened in the past, with the Eiffel tower, the pyramids, the early rotary aircraft, etc. This tabloid crowd is however of significant value in the process, as it is this populace of crazed consumers which at the end allow for the few to construct great things. So as long as you purchase the iPads, some popular detergent, of course you have a right to dismiss anything at all including the space programme and the tallest structures, however it does not mean you know anything about at all.
What does this long-winded post have anything to do with the Jobs family personal yacht??
imageWIS is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 07:43 PM   #143
bedifferent

Whenever I hear of "The Venus", I can't help but get this stuck in my head:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH3WvI_S6-k
bedifferent is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 07:44 PM   #144
DisMyMac
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
Steve Jobs earned the money to build that Yacht fair and square.
He didn't just earn it - he deserved it.

(I bet you think I'm defending him....)
DisMyMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 07:48 PM   #145
el-John-o
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderspark View Post
The only reason I'd buy a boat is to sail it across oceans and such. The idea that a custom yacht can't make it home from where it was built sounds like a waste to me, but then, they say a boat is a hole in the ocean in which you pour money.
Could also be a cost issue too. I don't know anything about yachts but it is reasonable to assume that transporting the yacht may be cheaper than paying a crew, and paying for the fuel to sail it.

Even so, a yacht can have a tremendous sailing ability, but still not be able to transverse the entire atlantic. That takes quite a bit of fuel. When the designers built it, I imagine more equipment and more living space took precedence over more fuel storage for long voyages.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 07:58 PM   #146
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedifferent View Post
Whenever I hear of "The Venus", I can't help but get this stuck in my head:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH3WvI_S6-k
I always feel sorry for people who were teenagers in the 80's. I imagine you all going through your yearbooks and just...I dunno...cringing. Day-Glo! Big hair! You probably lost your virginity with A-Ha was playing on the radio! IT'S ABOUT DAMN TRAGIC!
Renzatic is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 08:01 PM   #147
G51989
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitbox View Post
And in other news, Samsung today released their own yacht they had been working on in secret.
Nah, Samsung builds slightly higher quality ocean going vessels.

Last edited by G51989; Dec 26, 2012 at 06:51 AM.
G51989 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 08:15 PM   #148
AidenShaw
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
Oracle's Larry Elision has MUCH better taste in boats, a word apart. Roy Disney did too.
And even the Microsofties know that in mega-yachts, function is as important as form.

Thumb resize.
(click either photo to enlarge)
Thumb resize.
Octopus

More info at http://seafever.files.wordpress.com/...ht-octopus.pdf

It has two helipads w/ helicopters, seven tenders (including a 63 ft tender), two submarines (a 10 man sub and a robot),...

Range 15,000 km, 19k horsepower engines....

Last edited by AidenShaw; Dec 25, 2012 at 08:24 PM.
AidenShaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 08:21 PM   #149
Rev Stu
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas23 View Post
Thank God! I was getting worried this flap was going to completely destroy their Christmas! Cue they don't ****ing celebrate Christmas comments.

----------

I woder what kind of fuel economy this vessel gets? With both Steve and Laurene so environmentally conscience, I'm sure this runs on some type of alternative fuel. Or not.
Correct...it runs on defunct imacs,iphones,ipads and any other I's I couldn't think of so their constantly recycling....Yes ?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarling View Post
Reminds me of a story my next door neighbor told me many years ago:

He did some carpentry work for a big strip mall near us. However, they didn't pay his bill, which was about a thousand dollars. He kept sending his bill to them and nothing happened.

So he got a lien put on the building he had worked on. Apparently nobody noticed this.

A year or two later, they decided to sell the mall for probably a million dollars, and that's when a title search turned up his lien.

Oh boy, did they pay him then
Haha..gotta luv it
Rev Stu is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 08:54 PM   #150
Plymouthbreezer
macrumors 601

Interesting design for sure. It would have been sad if this ended in a big dispute... The fact that Jobs and Starck collaborated on the design made for a nice end result.

Glad that the Jobs family posted the deposit.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion