Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I'm also surprised by ESPN.

Yahoo Sportacular and Scoremobile look terrific with the expanded screen. So I just use those now.

I've been using Sportacular since they updated for the iPhone 5. I really like it a lot, but I would really like for ESPN to update ScoreCenter. At least ESPN finally updated WatchESPN today.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Unfortunately I agree with you. I had posed a question to an accessory thread regarding Apple's decision not to make a dock for the 5. I suggested that tiny little decisions like that can be a bellwether to a culture change.

I was appalled at the response of one person who basically went ballistic on me telling me I was "polluting" the dock discussion. (A moderator eventually cleaned up the mess but not before making me think twice about the nature of fanboys.)

There are so many intangibles that make up a relationship between a brand and end-users. SJ seemed to have an innate understanding of that fact and making, for the most part, brilliant decisions to strengthen that relationship. And now...barely a year after his passing and the ship that is Apple seems to be struggling in ways it has never struggled before...at least publicly.

The Forstall departure, despite all the hoorays over the death of skeuomorphism is a helluva lot more troubling than not if you actually look at his contributions. Yeah Siri and Maps were crash and burns and yeah, maybe it was time for a change. That doesn't change the fact that Mr. Cook seems to be having a very tough time doing what SJ made look easy.

Anyway, enough from me. I don't think the end is near but to paraphrase Yogi Berra, the future sure ain't what it used to be.

2nd kudos from me, interesting & relevant argument made here.

I'm also quite surprised important & essential apps like the official YouTube app, which was released in August & haven't seen a single update since, have not been updated. I'm not certain if Apple rushes their developers to update for the 4" display, but if they do, that's great.

Just like you, I can't say I'm particularly optimistic about the road Apple is currently trekking. Apple law suits are now in abundance, recent Forstall departure has raised hopes exponentially for the next revision of iOS, & the Apple Maps fiasco has reached a point of no return & hopelessness.

Stand back & watch the show, guys. The next few years is paramount for the development of this famous (probably infamous too) company, every single step will determine & play a role in the direction they will move. Whether its moving forwards or a regression, I can only wish them the best.

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
Sorry to revive this, but I just got an iPhone 5 for Christmas and half my apps haven't been updated. It just looks awfeful.

Was it really necessary just to say that, its not like the apps are suddenly going to be updated.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Yes it is.

Once Apple products were clearly superior by a wide margin. Currently the trend is not looking so good. The default rant from the Apple devotees is to pound the dead horse refrain that goes something like this, "look at the staggering sales" or some such chant regarding Apple's obscene profits.

Yet massive profits prove nothing other than the world class marketing machine that is Apple Inc. Plenty of people are ruining their health eating fried fast food, yet the sales volume is staggering.

At the end of the day, there's never been so many users, enthusiasts, and regular customers that are now complaining & questioning Apple.

The highly visible legal assaults launched by Apple, the bully tactics, the burning desire to have competitive products banned, instead of just competing in the open market is very revealing.

Apple has changed in a way that is not necessarily in their best long term interest. Time will tell...

Apple products are still superior but maybe not by such a wide margin. Apple cares about the details with their products: accurate, fast touch response, a smooth UI, easy to backup your data and update software, etc. No other company has their attention to detail.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Hm...

Why not come up with a checklist of what's out?

In my collection:
-Youtube app is updated.
-Netflix video streaming app is updated.
-Dish network app is updated.
-Japanese NHK TV app is updated.
-Air Video server is updated.
-Drama Fever standalone app is updated.
-Crunchyroll standalone app is updated.
-Apple Trailers app is updated.

Some of my bike GPS applications such as Roadbike Pro, Strava Cycling or Polar Beat are updated so it uses more of the screen to give you more data.

Some apps such as foursquare have been updated and don't really benefit from the larger real estate, they just gave it a more fancy display.

More will come with time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.