Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How often should a new iPhone be introduced?

• Twice a year (every six months)

Votes: 32 15.2%
  • About every nine months

Votes: 22 10.4%
  • Once per year

Votes: 132 62.6%
  • About every 18 months

Votes: 25 11.8%

• Total voters

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
No it doesn't.

Ooooookay. Keep living in your fantasy world.
kantar_us_smartphones_nov12.jpg

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Ooooookay. Keep living in your fantasy world.

You do realize that the overall U.S. smartphone marketshare is...

Android - 52%
iOS - 35%
Blackberry OS - 7%
Other - 5%
Windows Phone - 2%

Source: Nielsen

Yes, iOS did have more marketshare compared to Android but that was only Q4 and due to iPhone 5. Look at your own chart before posting.

Do you even know what 12w/e Nov 2011 and 12w/e Nov 2012?

It means compared to 2011...iOS grew by that much.

Other lost by that much.

But ANDROID still has the most marketshare overall.

Get your facts straight.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
You do realize that the overall U.S. smartphone marketshare is...

Android - 52%
iOS - 35%
Blackberry OS - 7%
Other - 5%
Windows Phone - 2%

Source: Nielsen

Yes, iOS did have more marketshare compared to Android but that was only Q4 and due to iPhone 5. Look at your own chart before posting.

Do you even know what 12w/e Nov 2011 and 12w/e Nov 2012?

It means compared to 2011...iOS grew by that much.

Other lost by that much.

But ANDROID still has the most marketshare overall.

Get your facts straight.

No. Again. You're wrong. That figure is from last year. iOS has the hold of the marketshare. There's a nice article about it on the front page of this very website if you pulled your head out of your ass far enough to see it.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
No. Again. You're wrong. That figure is from last year. iOS has the hold of the marketshare. There's a nice article about it on the front page of this very website if you pulled your head out of your ass far enough to see it.

Did you?

"Kantar Worldpanel has now released its data for the September-November period, and Apple has indeed set a record high with 53.3% of the market. Apple's share is up dramatically from 35.8% in the same period last year, although the iPhone 4S did not launch until later in the corresponding timeframe."

Copy n pasted right from the article link

Learn to read the article instead of just looking at a picture and thinking your a genius.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Consumers pay full price plus plus plus.

Sure; I understand the mechanics of such deals. What I mean is the decision of a consumer to pay one-time at the begin (and don't have to have a two-year-contract) or use the two-year-contract as a kind of loan and enjoy a new phone with a timely distributed price. Not much difference to a car. It should only depend on the financial situation of the customer which of both ways he will choose.

if we are all forced into two-year-contracts I agree Apple can stop bring the "s" models and focus on bigger jumps every two year.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
really makes no difference to me whatsoever when they release a new phone <shrug>
if i feel like it is an upgrade i want, then i will upgrade, regardless of the contract
if i weigh it out and decide to wait, then i wait

the choice to upgrade is always mine, not apple's
so i am not tied to their schedule at all
just because they release an iphone or ipad doesn't mean i have to jump on it

Agree 100%. Love what you said here.

For Apple's sake, it might not hurt them to compete a little faster. The mobile market space is a very different place now with currents changing and monsters fast rising...

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
Apple are in that position where the customer doesn't really matter so much because they have such a good reputation and they can easily make money.Reputation is everything in a company and apple have that.It a tough market out there and they want to be the leader of the pack and there is many trying to copy apple and keep up with the pace but they cannot do it because they don't have the research investment and they don't have the production development like apple either.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
For Apple's sake, it might not hurt them to compete a little faster. The mobile market space is a very different place now with currents changing and monsters fast rising...

That's an android/US carrier sucker game Apple doesn't need to get envolved in.

One where both need a perpetual supply of ginned up phones to generate ad exposure, or else.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
Hello,
That was the exact same rationale I used in selecting every 6 months. While it probably would adversely affect resale value, I believe the juice to be worth the squeeze.
Cheers,
JJ

I agree with you then :) Is there anything in particular you want to see in iOS 7 in terms of functionality?

Jungle Jack

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
I agree with you then :) Is there anything in particular you want to see in iOS 7 in terms of functionality?

Hello,
I would personally love to see even incremental improvements like showing the current temperature on the Weather Icon as opposed to it always reading Sunny and 73 degrees. I also think it would be great to at least offer somewhat widget like options when you pull down the Notification Screen.
Cheers,
JJ

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Really makes no difference to me whatsoever when they release a new phone <shrug>
If I feel like it is an upgrade I want, then I will upgrade, regardless of the contract
If I weigh it out and decide to wait, then I wait

The choice to upgrade is always mine, not Apple's
So I am not tied to their schedule at all
Just because they release an iPhone or iPad doesn't mean I have to jump on it

Well said man. If only every consumer is as rational as you! :D

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I prefer waiting longer for something that really blows me away than seeing these incremental upgrades.

Iphone - Iphone 3GS - iPhone 4 - iPhone 5 would have been a much better lineup in my opinion.

Just look at the iPad 3rd generation, what's up with that? It's like they released it just to release it and then completely kicked every early adopter in the nut sack by releasing the 4th gen fifteen minutes later.

JupiterDoc

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2012
Lose the contract

Every TWO YEARS !

When TWO YEAR COTRACT is over, you can restart with a new contract!

Or maybe better yet, get rid of contracts altogether somehow.

Purchase your next iPhoneunlocked for $850.00 & there will be no contract.

iHailCarlo

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
I think it should be 12+ months for every reveal, and I think they should do away with the S models and just go with the whole number and knock it out the park. I voted 18 months though.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Just look at the iPad 3rd generation, what's up with that? It's like they released it just to release it and then completely kicked every early adopter in the nut sack by releasing the 4th gen fifteen minutes later.

What did they do exactly to the iPad 3 owners? Like did the iPad 3 suddenly stop working?

All they did was release an iPad 3 updated with some minor specs and a Lightening connector. Did people really think that Apple ripped them off and changed the release cycle to fall? The iPad 5 is coming out still in the original iPad March time frame. Suck it up and just enjoy what you have.

----------

I don't want iPhones releasing with the same frequency of Androids.

Android phones get released every week.

Even if iPhones get released 2x a year, its not that bad. You can choose whether you want to skip the S version or not without waiting a full year.

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012
It needs to be unpredictable! Otherwise sales drop off a cliff 2 months before everybody experts a new release.

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
once a year - 2 year contracts - thousand dollar product - too expensive for regular folks to upgrade any more frequently

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
What did they do exactly to the iPad 3 owners? Like did the iPad 3 suddenly stop working?

All they did was release an iPad 3 updated with some minor specs and a Lightening connector. Did people really think that Apple ripped them off and changed the release cycle to fall? The iPad 5 is coming out still in the original iPad March time frame. Suck it up and just enjoy what you have.

Some minor spec upgrades? Dude... :rolleyes:

tonyy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
Dallas
6-8 months so I can buy it off the people that need the newest iphone every time it gets released.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.