Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:10 PM   #1
mfletcher
macrumors newbie

Installing SATA DVD Drive in MacPro3,1

Hi,

I have an early 2008 Mac Pro and recently the DVD Drive has started to fail on it. Specifically the drive wont eject easily. I have to press the eject button several times before it will open. Its a Pioneer model that's susceptible to this kind of problem.

The drive is a PATA drive, and Im finding it hard to find a decent PATA replacement online. Cant find any on Newegg. I can find used PATA drives online, but Id prefer to buy a new one.

I read somewhere that theres an additional two SATA connectors on the MacPro 3,1 mobo that I could use to connect a SATA DVD Drive to it, but are there any repurcussions to doing this? For example, if I use a SATA DVD Drive, will I still be able to use it to at boot for installation?

Thanks in advance,

Mark
mfletcher is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro