Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bankaimadness

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
I try dragging some of my video files to itunes and it said the format wasn't supported.

I don't know why, but I did it flawlessly on my SG SII and it work great!

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
I try dragging some of my video files to itunes and it said the format wasn't supported.

I don't know why, but I did it flawlessly on my SG SII and it work great!

It's probably a video format which iTunes/iPhone doesn't support. Probably like .WMV or something.

m4v, .mp4, and .mov are what the iPhone supports mainly. Just convert whatever you need to these filetypes.

Bankaimadness

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
It's probably a video format which iTunes/iPhone doesn't support. Probably like .WMV or something.

m4v, .mp4, and .mov are what the iPhone supports mainly. Just convert whatever you need to these filetypes.

What do you use to convert?

abhinav7333

macrumors member
May 5, 2012
the free version of Any video converter works great for me.

Instead of converting it. You can go to AppStore and download free "Media Player". This app will show up on the iTunes and you can pretty much drop any video file in that app and it will play it.

Bankaimadness

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
alright thanks guys.

Wouldn't hurt to recommend some more converters. :D

Btw, would the quality get downgraded?

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Actually don't even both wasting your time converting. Download something like AvPLayerHD and just drag the files over. It will play them directly.

jkauff

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2012
Actually don't even both wasting your time converting. Download something like AvPLayerHD and just drag the files over. It will play them directly.
Does AVPlayer do hardware-accelerated playback? The stock player uses it for MP4/M4V. I use HDPlayer Pro, it will also play most anything but it only uses HW assist for MP4/M4V and MKV.

The other disadvantage of not using the stock player is that you have to drag the videos into the file system of the alternative player on the Apps tab in iTunes. Worth the hassle for me, though, because HDPlayer Pro is superior to the stock player (and also plays FLAC audio files).

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Does AVPlayer do hardware-accelerated playback? The stock player uses it for MP4/M4V. I use HDPlayer Pro, it will also play most anything but it only uses HW assist for MP4/M4V and MKV.

The other disadvantage of not using the stock player is that you have to drag the videos into the file system of the alternative player on the Apps tab in iTunes. Worth the hassle for me, though, because HDPlayer Pro is superior to the stock player (and also plays FLAC audio files).

I'm not sure. I know it does on my iPad though. Don't watch videos on my iPhone at all.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012

CineXPlayer is the best of the bunch, especially now that it's the only video app in the AppStore that supports AC3 and Dolby Digital audio.

You should still convert the videos to a natively compatible format, however, as that's the only way to get hardware acceleration. Otherwise the video player has to decode in software, which is MUCH MUCH worse on battery life. Whenever you see benchmarks showing a phone/tablet has 10+ hours of battery life with a video playing in a loop, it's because of the hardware acceleration.

Considering this, and considering how important your phone battery not being dead typically is, I highly recommend converting.

SanjeevRana

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
AVPlayer uses a Hardware Hybrid Decoder for supported types ... needs to be enabled in its Settings

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.