Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:09 AM   #1
AndersBrohus
macrumors regular

Guild Wars 2 on RMBP

Hi!

I have a question to the people that plays Guild Wars 2, on their RMBP

Because i'm going to buy it tomorrow and install the OS X Client but how well is it performing ?

And have you had any bugs yet?
AndersBrohus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:26 AM   #2
TweakOnline
macrumors regular

Hmm, it would be much better if you install Guild Wars 2 on bootcamp, because the GW2 version on OS X is based on the Wineskin port.

So if you play this game on Windows you'll get much more FPS on the same settings / resolution.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:03 AM   #3
monkeybagel
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakOnline View Post
Hmm, it would be much better if you install Guild Wars 2 on bootcamp, because the GW2 version on OS X is based on the Wineskin port.

So if you play this game on Windows you'll get much more FPS on the same settings / resolution.
That's an interesting take on something considering your signature....
monkeybagel is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:30 PM   #4
TweakOnline
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybagel View Post
That's an interesting take on something considering your signature....
Yes, I like OS X very much but for gaming Windows is unfortunately the place to be.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:47 PM   #5
monkeybagel
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakOnline View Post
Yes, I like OS X very much but for gaming Windows is unfortunately the place to be.
I don't game much at all, but I do need Windows for work and it works well (Windows 7 at least). It looks like it will be the new Windows XP - the OS that will not die.

But I prefer OS X on my off time
monkeybagel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:54 PM   #6
lightz39
macrumors regular

I haven't tried it. You should be able to alright if you don't max everything. Its a good looking game.
lightz39 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:42 PM   #7
AndersBrohus
macrumors regular

Okay, i just don't have so much space on my boot camp partition... :/
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:12 AM   #8
luffytubby
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersBrohus View Post
Okay, i just don't have so much space on my boot camp partition... :/
Game is wonderful.

you can play it with medium ish settings in OSX it seems. It's still in beta so improvements are possible. Forum here; https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/support/mac

good luck mate! If you really. If you love the game so much that you want that high settings experience, on bootcamp, then you could make 100 gb partition.

Buy an external USB3 hard drive and put on all your songs, itunes library, movies and other stuff that takes space. It can easily work out.

Maybe in a years time (or two) you could do an aftermarked SSD upgrade, and get that 480 gb SSD upgrade; http://www.anandtech.com/show/6154/o...retina-display

Its still very expensive, but who knows. In a couple of years it might not be and then you might get more mileage out of the machine. In this day and age 256 GB storage is very low. SSD prices just havent moved fast enough.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:14 AM   #9
AndersBrohus
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by luffytubby View Post
Game is wonderful.

you can play it with medium ish settings in OSX it seems. It's still in beta so improvements are possible. Forum here; https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/support/mac

good luck mate! If you really. If you love the game so much that you want that high settings experience, on bootcamp, then you could make 100 gb partition.

Buy an external USB3 hard drive and put on all your songs, itunes library, movies and other stuff that takes space. It can easily work out.

Maybe in a years time (or two) you could do an aftermarked SSD upgrade, and get that 480 gb SSD upgrade; http://www.anandtech.com/show/6154/o...retina-display

Its still very expensive, but who knows. In a couple of years it might not be and then you might get more mileage out of the machine. In this day and age 256 GB storage is very low. SSD prices just havent moved fast enough.
Okay, i'm going to try in OS X first

But i use my BootCamp partition in School, soo maybe it's not so good idea to begin shrinking and all that stuff, right now... :P
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:27 AM   #10
TweakOnline
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by luffytubby View Post
Game is wonderful.

More than $500,- dollhairs for a 480GB SSD!?
Next time I buy a MacBook Pro Retina I'll go for the 512GB model, but I would never buy that third party version seen on Anandtech...

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games