Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:38 PM   #1
Alscott
macrumors newbie

Two Airport Expresses

Hello,

I used to have one airport express (first gen.) in my house. The problem was the airport express was too far away from my bedroom to get a good connection. This airport express was connected to my modem. A man at my Apple store told me I could buy another Airport express, connect it to my wireless internet connection, put it in my room and receive a faster connection. I bought a second one (second gen.) I plugged it into the wall, set it to pick up my internet connection and it has a green light on. But I am noticing no change as far as internet connection. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks.
Alscott is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:08 PM   #2
waw74
macrumors 68020

you want to set it to extend the network of the first one.
and you'll want to put it somewhere in the middle between your room and the main express. not in your room.
waw74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:34 PM   #3
Alscott
macrumors newbie

Could you tell me how I would do that please? Thanks.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:49 AM   #4
mattopotamus
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscott View Post
if you have the airport utility app either on your iphone, ipad, mac, or PC....there is a setting when you click on the new airport to make it a wireless extender. Just play with the menus. I am not 100% sure which one it is under, but there is only like 5 menus.
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:41 PM   #5
davidoloan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Here are the guides on how to set it up.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4260

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4259

The first is wired by Ethernet, the second is wireless.
davidoloan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:07 PM   #6
Alscott
macrumors newbie

Thank you for sending me those two links, I apologize for the late response. With the instructions you gave I was able to connect several of my devices to my internet connection such as my iPod touch and DVD player. However, I am still noticing that the internet speed is still very slow compared to when I am closer to the original airport express (which has the modem connected to it.) And that goes for my computer, dvd player, etc. Is this a problem with my internet provider? Is the modem at fault for not sending a faster connection farther away?

Thank you again for your help.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:08 PM   #7
drsox
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Thank you for sending me those two links, I apologize for the late response. With the instructions you gave I was able to connect several of my devices to my internet connection such as my iPod touch and DVD player. However, I am still noticing that the internet speed is still very slow compared to when I am closer to the original airport express (which has the modem connected to it.) And that goes for my computer, dvd player, etc. Is this a problem with my internet provider? Is the modem at fault for not sending a faster connection farther away?

Thank you again for your help.
If you are extending via WiFi then the data rate is halved compared to a single AE. This is because the data has to be sent twice between the two AEs. If you use a wired connection between the two AEs then this halving doesn't happen.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:17 PM   #8
Apple fanboy
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsox View Post
If you are extending via WiFi then the data rate is halved compared to a single AE. This is because the data has to be sent twice between the two AEs. If you use a wired connection between the two AEs then this halving doesn't happen.
If this is a problem due to them being to far apart, you could go for a pair of power line converters. Basically it uses your ring main as an Ethernet cable. Plug one in the room with the modem and connect by Ethernet, the other in the room where you plan to use the second AE and connect. That way you don't lose any wifi bandwidth. See the URL below which will show you what I mean.

https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/pr...#hsec:overview

Last edited by Apple fanboy; Dec 26, 2012 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Added URL
Apple fanboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:55 AM   #9
drsox
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple fanboy View Post
If this is a problem due to them being to far apart, you could go for a pair of power line converters. Basically it uses your ring main as an Ethernet cable. Plug one in the room with the modem and connect by Ethernet, the other in the room where you plan to use the second AE and connect. That way you don't lose any wifi bandwidth. See the URL below which will show you what I mean.

https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/pr...#hsec:overview
Yes, but two possible problems :

1. Data rates will be limited to about 15% of the rated speeds (e.g. 15% of 500Mbps = 75Mbps).
2. PowerLine units don't work well in old houses of where there is a lot of power noise. Also there is an issue with the phase relationships of some power lines. (e.g. it won't work between all the floors of my house, only some of them. Beats me why - maybe it's the way the power box was installed, maybe it's the crappy wiring that was installed when the house was refurbished in 2000.)
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:30 AM   #10
Apple fanboy
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsox View Post
Yes, but two possible problems :

1. Data rates will be limited to about 15% of the rated speeds (e.g. 15% of 500Mbps = 75Mbps).
2. PowerLine units don't work well in old houses of where there is a lot of power noise. Also there is an issue with the phase relationships of some power lines. (e.g. it won't work between all the floors of my house, only some of them. Beats me why - maybe it's the way the power box was installed, maybe it's the crappy wiring that was installed when the house was refurbished in 2000.)
More likely each floor has its own separate ring main and they aren't connected. In other words if you had a fault upstairs only the upstairs sockets would trip out. This is standard safe practise with modern wiring.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:00 PM   #11
drsox
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple fanboy View Post
More likely each floor has its own separate ring main and they aren't connected. In other words if you had a fault upstairs only the upstairs sockets would trip out. This is standard safe practise with modern wiring.
Yes, obviously - that's why the mains box has individual fuses for multiple power ring mains, light ring mains and dedicated ones for cookers etc. My mains box has more than 10 individual fuses.

The unanswered question is why can't the PowerLine LAN signal complete the link between : Socket on Floor A>Ring Main A>Fuse A>Mains Box>Fuse B>Ring Main B >Socket on Floor B but CAN complete the link between Socket on Floor A>Ring Main A>Fuse A>Mains Box>Fuse C>Ring Main C >Socket on Floor C.

It also isn't a 3 phase supply (which would defeat PowerLine) as is found in many mixed Business/Residential houses. (Mine isn't - although used to be in the 1950s with the old wiring and power setup).

Last edited by drsox; Dec 27, 2012 at 12:43 PM.
drsox is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals