Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:01 PM   #1
mrsir2009
macrumors 604
 
mrsir2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Japanese 'lucky bags' PRSI offshoot thread

MOD NOTE

This is the PSRI offshoot thread for the Japanese lucky bags front page news article. Please try to keep it civil and on topic.
____________

Quote:
Originally Posted by eda View Post
Such a cool idea, wish they did them elsewhere!
The reason they can probably do it in Japan and not the United States is due to the fact that the easterners tend to be not as wound up and agressive as Americans. If they did this in the U.S they'd be swamped with people threatening lawsuits because they didn't get the product they wanted.

Last edited by stridemat; Dec 27, 2012 at 07:27 AM.
mrsir2009 is offline   30 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:04 PM   #2
Konrad
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bi-continental
When people line up in places like Sudan, Chad for UN delivered food it is very sad, but it has a profound purpose. This however, this western hysteria is a testament to how shallow societies are today, how stripped of any imagination, basic pride, self respect, value for the intellect the populace have grown to be, when the creative process has come to a complete halt. Brainwashing methods of gadget distribution to dumbed consumers. Apple should trick the masses and insert printed books into the bags.
Konrad is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:11 PM   #3
Allenbf
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
The reason they can probably do it in Japan and not the United States is due to the fact that the easterners tend to be not as wound up and agressive as Americans. If they did this in the U.S they'd be swamped with people threatening lawsuits because they didn't get the product they wanted.
Sad...but also correct.
__________________
I'm broke because of my love for
Allenbf is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:13 PM   #4
725032
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
The reason they can probably do it in Japan and not the United States is due to the fact that the easterners tend to be not as wound up and agressive as Americans. If they did this in the U.S they'd be swamped with people threatening lawsuits because they didn't get the product they wanted.
Yes very true

Would turn in to the OK Coral
725032 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:20 PM   #5
ConCat
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: In an ethereal plane of existence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiPi View Post
Yes very true

Would turn in to the OK Coral
Wow... Talk about a stereotype. Believe it or not, the old westerns you see on TV are not the way the vast majority of the country is...

EDIT: Actually, Americans tend to be a little more rational these days... Lots of mass riots in Europe. We just tend to duke it out in court.
ConCat is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:32 PM   #6
Ryth
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
The reason they can probably do it in Japan and not the United States is due to the fact that the easterners tend to be not as wound up and agressive as Americans. If they did this in the U.S they'd be swamped with people threatening lawsuits because they didn't get the product they wanted.
You might want to take a look at South America, Europe, Asia, Africa and rethink your statement.
Ryth is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:35 PM   #7
FrizzleFryBen
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
When people line up in places like Sudan, Chad for UN delivered food it is very sad, but it has a profound purpose. This however, this western hysteria is a testament to how shallow societies are today, how stripped of any imagination, basic pride, self respect, value for the intellect the populace have grown to be, when the creative process has come to a complete halt. Brainwashing methods of gadget distribution to dumbed consumers. Apple should trick the masses and insert printed books into the bags.
While I agree with most of what you said, the US has just proven that many are willing to forego their entire day just to exercise their most basic of rights...Voting. Many Americans spent an entire workday waiting just to vote in the last election. While it's our governments fault, it goes to show that even in the western world, when standing up for what's right, they would be willing to lose a days wage and stand-up for their rights.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that when people don't have to fight for their rights and have the time and freedom to wait for a goodie bag at a retailer, they might...whatever, I don't care. They likely won't if there is something more important to do that effects their life.
FrizzleFryBen is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:38 PM   #8
Caliber26
macrumors 65816
 
Caliber26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Orlando, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
When people line up in places like Sudan, Chad for UN delivered food it is very sad, but it has a profound purpose. This however, this western hysteria is a testament to how shallow societies are today, how stripped of any imagination, basic pride, self respect, value for the intellect the populace have grown to be, when the creative process has come to a complete halt. Brainwashing methods of gadget distribution to dumbed consumers. Apple should trick the masses and insert printed books into the bags.
I hate to say it, but, to an extent, I have to agree with your comment.
Caliber26 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:47 PM   #9
Kaibelf
macrumors 6502a
 
Kaibelf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConCat View Post
Wow... Talk about a stereotype. Believe it or not, the old westerns you see on TV are not the way the vast majority of the country is...

EDIT: Actually, Americans tend to be a little more rational these days... Lots of mass riots in Europe. We just tend to duke it out in court.
Would those be the same rational people who are trying to sue FREE instagram because they didn't like a change to the TOS, or the rational woman who is suing the town in CT where her house burned down because she hired an unlicensed contractor under the table (who she was dating) and then her family was killed in a fire? I would say taking absolutely NO responsibility for your situation and also expecting people to give you everything you want for nothing is far from rational.
Kaibelf is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:48 PM   #10
Newton70
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
When people line up in places like Sudan, Chad for UN delivered food it is very sad, but it has a profound purpose. This however, this western hysteria is a testament to how shallow societies are today, how stripped of any imagination, basic pride, self respect, value for the intellect the populace have grown to be, when the creative process has come to a complete halt. Brainwashing methods of gadget distribution to dumbed consumers. Apple should trick the masses and insert printed books into the bags.
Oh..my...gosh, you almost had me there for a second....clever, very clever.
Newton70 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:49 PM   #11
725032
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConCat View Post
Wow... Talk about a stereotype. Believe it or not, the old westerns you see on TV are not the way the vast majority of the country is...

EDIT: Actually, Americans tend to be a little more rational these days... Lots of mass riots in Europe. We just tend to duke it out in court.
rational like killing school children and fire fighters with assault rifles?
725032 is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:50 PM   #12
lunaoso
macrumors 65816
 
lunaoso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New England, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibelf View Post
Would those be the same rational people who are trying to sue FREE instagram because they didn't like a change to the TOS, or the rational woman who is suing the town in CT where her house burned down because she hired an unlicensed contractor under the table (who she was dating) and then her family was killed in a fire? I would say taking absolutely NO responsibility for your situation and also expecting people to give you everything you want for nothing is far from rational.
What about the people who drop their iPhone and expect Apple to give them a brand new one because they've only had it for a week?
lunaoso is online now   9 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:53 PM   #13
ConCat
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: In an ethereal plane of existence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibelf View Post
Would those be the same rational people who are trying to sue FREE instagram because they didn't like a change to the TOS, or the rational woman who is suing the town in CT where her house burned down because she hired an unlicensed contractor under the table (who she was dating) and then her family was killed in a fire? I would say taking absolutely NO responsibility for your situation and also expecting people to give you everything you want for nothing is far from rational.
That behavior is typically un-american. You're nit-picking unusual situations that make it on the news and claiming you have a point. You don't. Americans traditionally value individual responsibility. These days not as much, but the core value is still there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiPi View Post
rational like killing school children and fire fighters with assault rifles?
Crazy people are crazy anywhere. Can't really pin that on the US. If that kid had been in Europe when he went nuts, I wouldn't be pinning that on Europe. It's just a rare circumstance creating a rare horror, that wasn't dealt with in time to prevent the disaster.
ConCat is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:55 PM   #14
Dobiewonkanobie
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Send a message via Skype™ to Dobiewonkanobie
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConCat View Post
Wow... Talk about a stereotype. Believe it or not, the old westerns you see on TV are not the way the vast majority of the country is...

EDIT: Actually, Americans tend to be a little more rational these days... Lots of mass riots in Europe. We just tend to duke it out in court.
Rational? You must've missed all the Black Friday reports of people getting trampled or shot over crappy products and parking spots--that happen every year
__________________
Dobiewonkanobie is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:00 PM   #15
nick_elt
macrumors 68000
 
nick_elt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConCat View Post
That behavior is typically un-american. You're nit-picking unusual situations that make it on the news and claiming you have a point. You don't. Americans traditionally value individual responsibility. These days not as much, but the core value is still there.



Crazy people are crazy anywhere. Can't really pin that on the US. If that kid had been in Europe when he went nuts, I wouldn't be pinning that on Europe. It's just a rare circumstance creating a rare horror, that wasn't dealt with in time to prevent the disaster.
Sorry but it happens so frequently in the states. To frequent to call it rare. And if you dont think the states has a problem. Then the problem will never be fixed.
__________________
White Macbook, 2012 Macbook air 13", titanium grey galaxy note 2, ipad 3rd gen, apple tv 3
nick_elt is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:01 PM   #16
Newton70
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiPi View Post
rational like killing school children and fire fighters with assault rifles?
Wait, are you talking about the attack in Norway that left some 69 kids dead? Terrible regardless of where it happens....which unfortunately is the world over.
Newton70 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:02 PM   #17
725032
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConCat View Post
Crazy people are crazy anywhere. Can't really pin that on the US. If that kid had been in Europe when he went nuts, I wouldn't be pinning that on Europe. It's just a rare circumstance creating a rare horror, that wasn't dealt with in time to prevent the disaster.
Europe is a continent and the US a country. Please don't be so small minded

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newton70 View Post
Wait, are you talking about the attack in Norway that left some 69 kids dead? Terrible regardless of where it happens....which unfortunately is the world over.
but week after week in the US
725032 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:19 PM   #18
100Teraflops
macrumors 6502a
 
100Teraflops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Somewhere in Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiPi View Post
Europe is a continent and the US a country. Please don't be so small minded

----------



but week after week in the US
That's right, people die week after week in the U.S.! People die week after week everywhere. More people die from cancer or auto accidents than "assault rifles", so what's your point? Don't be so small minded.
__________________
Long live the photographer! Got memories? Record your moments with current electronic devices. I stumble, fall, get up and do it again.
100Teraflops is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:24 PM   #19
725032
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Teraflops View Post
That's right, people die week after week in the U.S.! People die week after week everywhere. More people die from cancer or auto accidents than "assault rifles", so what's your point? Don't be so small minded.
Copying previous comments is just pathetic.

Please dont post unless you actually have something worth while to add.

Stop wasting peoples time
725032 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:33 PM   #20
Ryth
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConCat View Post
That behavior is typically un-american. You're nit-picking unusual situations that make it on the news and claiming you have a point. You don't. Americans traditionally value individual responsibility. These days not as much, but the core value is still there.



Crazy people are crazy anywhere. Can't really pin that on the US. If that kid had been in Europe when he went nuts, I wouldn't be pinning that on Europe. It's just a rare circumstance creating a rare horror, that wasn't dealt with in time to prevent the disaster.
There was a kid in Europe who killed all those school kids 1-2 years ago in Sweden or Norway.

Crazy is everywhere.
Ryth is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:37 PM   #21
725032
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryth View Post
There was a kid in Europe who killed all those school kids 1-2 years ago in Sweden or Norway.

Crazy is everywhere.
Crazy is indeed everywhere... It just occurs a lot more often in the US
725032 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:42 PM   #22
100Teraflops
macrumors 6502a
 
100Teraflops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Somewhere in Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiPi View Post
Copying previous comments is just pathetic.

Please dont post unless you actually have something worth while to add.

Stop wasting peoples time

What have you contributed? Blaming assault rifles for the deaths of human beings in a post about Apple's surprise grab bags in Japan! Furthermore, I didn't copy previous comments, but is this your reply when you clearly lack a constructive response?
__________________
Long live the photographer! Got memories? Record your moments with current electronic devices. I stumble, fall, get up and do it again.
100Teraflops is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:46 PM   #23
725032
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Teraflops View Post
What have you contributed? Blaming assault rifles for the deaths of human beings in a post about Apple's surprise grab bags in Japan! Furthermore, I didn't copy previous comments, but is this your reply when you clearly lack a constructive response?
You have copied previous comments. It is here for all to see.

If you cant be bothered to read a thread properly then i will not take the time to respond.
725032 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:50 PM   #24
Newton70
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiPi View Post
If you cant be bothered to read a thread properly then i will not take the time to respond.
You crack me up.
Newton70 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:56 PM   #25
725032
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newton70 View Post
You crack me up.
it's a shame such a terrible subject brings you so much joy.

enjoy the thread. I'm done here
725032 is offline   1 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:35 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC