Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
S

syd430

That is completely false. You cannot state your own opinion as fact.

"[more benefits with a higher resolution screen] is completely false. You cannot state your own opinion as fact."

"[own opinion stated as fact], [tells other person that they cannot state their opinion as fact]"

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
Sounds like you're rationalizing things.

Funny thing is even the author of the article the OP sites is rationalizing.

Here's the article again.
http://www.extremetech.com/electron...display-isnt-retina-but-its-still-good-enough

And here's the authors last paragraph...

GrantBrunner said:
The lack of a Retina-class display might be a nonstarter for you. I know it is for me, but that doesn’t make the iPad Mini a bad device or a misstep for Apple. The screen is good enough for now, and provided Apple keeps rapidly improving its tablet line, the lack of a Retina screen will be a tiny footnote in the history of the iPad.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
This is just ridiculous! "A little bit more clarity"??? I just don't understand why people cannot admit that the mini screen is pure garbage.

I love Apple, I love my iPad 4, I love my MBP, but the Mini is an EPIC fail. Not an epic fail for Apple because they'll sell the heck out of them, but an EPIC fail for the consumer who is getting hosed by a substandard product.

Good grief, what a load of crap. :rolleyes:

The mini screen is not pure garbage. I wonder how you feel about the iPad 2 which has the same resolution on a larger screen. Yes, it isn't as good as the iPad 4 screen, but it is still usable.

Customers are not getting hosed by a "substandard" product. They are choosing to buy them.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Customers are not getting hosed by a "substandard" product. They are choosing to buy them.

Some people can't even imagine that others might have different criteria, so not only are *we* (who find the mini a great device) ignorant as to what Apple is "doing to us with this substandard product" but our criteria make us stupid, because why would anyone think of a device as anything more than one feature/item/element/component that gives guys a big boner when able to deride?

I find it ironic that *we're* the morons and suckers, when it's not us that are unable to see that this device is an entire package comprised of, but not limited to, a form factor (the number 1 criteria for some/most of us), a screen (beautiful by some standards), an ecosystem of excellent apps that ran perfectly on it and all the various models of it day 1 (and always will), quality build, quality materials, beauty in design, and of course there is the excellent resale value these devices retain so those of us that choose to upgrade will be able to do so without losing out on our entire initial investment. Yeah, the morons and suckers are the ones who are able to see all that and more in this device that gives people so much joy, right?

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
When apple releases a retina version of the mini-cimplalners here will be writing about returning it because they still cannot read web pages in portrait mode. Duh? Its a 7.9" device, your effectively trying to read 5-7 pt type in portrait. Thats not going to be sustainable even at 500 dpi

washburn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010

oaba09

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2012
Well I just bought a mini 2 days ago so yeah......
They should at least wait for a year before releasing another mini(really felt bad for ipad 3 owners when ipad 4 came out)

S

syd430

Good grief, what a load of crap. :rolleyes:

The mini screen is not pure garbage. I wonder how you feel about the iPad 2 which has the same resolution on a larger screen .

The OS is optimised for iPad 2 screen. This is not the case with the mini and fonts in particular render poorly. This is why the iPad 2 screen is clearer in most situations even with the lower PPI.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
The OS is optimised for iPad 2 screen. This is not the case with the mini and fonts in particular render poorly. This is why the iPad 2 screen is clearer in most situations even with the lower PPI.

Ummmm, no. This is simply not true. Have you even seen a mini in person? :confused:

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
They should at least wait for a year before releasing another mini(really felt bad for ipad 3 owners when ipad 4 came out)

Felt bad? Really? Because EVERYONE just has to have the latest and greatest, right? Because everyone can even notice the difference between generations? Because there was some revolutionary leap between the iPad 3 and 4?

Give me a break. Why don't people on here understand that needs and wants vary from person to person. A non retina mini is to the vast majority of the world just fine for what they'd do with it. Most people won't even notice a difference unless you sit a mini next to an iPad 4. And even then they still may not notice the difference or even care.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
One of the distinct advantages of including a retina display on the next mini, is it will collapse the used prices on the current model down lower than normal. This will enable those who could not afford one new, to buy one at a much lower price.

Usually Apple products hold a good resale value, but the lack of retina & all the "must have" buzz Apples created around it will cause used mini prices to drop substantially. A great thing for Apple since it will bring in the budget shopper. Now with Apple's Walmart mentality of mass sales & making it easy for anyone to use, this is just what they need to move more product.

S

syd430

Ummmm, no. This is simply not true. Have you even seen a mini in person? :confused:

yes I've used one extensively. Font does render poorly due to the non-optimised OS. The iPad 2 is better is that respect. Images and other elements of course look much sharper on the mini, as is expected with the higher PPI.

The OS has simply been shrunken down from the 9.7" ipad. For another obvious example of where this does not work well, take a look at the App store interface.

SunnyRenegade33

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012
I would have to disagree. I have the ipad mini and an ipad4, and, while the ipad4 retina is a hell of a beautiful slab (and fast) it's a bit of a beast compared to the ipad mini. The mini finds itself coming along with me (fits in my jacket poket) most of the time, and the ipad4 sits idle 90% of the time.

When I do use the ipad4, it's great (much better than my ipad3 was), but the battery is totally drained after 4-5 hrs of heavy use (eg a game or even Skype). Then I have to find the big charger and wait at least 7-8hrs until its fully charged again.

On the other hand, the mini seems to get me through a full day without a problem, and if I forget to charge it overnight I still have enough charge to get me by, or I can find a PC USB port to charge it at some point in the day, and she's topped up in an hour or so.

I guess it depends on how you measure "superior", but to me, the mini is superior to my ipad4 in a number of ways.

Cheers,
Iamthinking

Ps I agree that one shouldn't need to provide links to prove that higher res/more CPU/GPu = more power requirements. It's pretty much a no-brainer at this point. You've got to be a bit of a newb to not know that! :)

You need to provide a link.

As far as I'm concerned, the only people I see justifying the iPad mini's purchase and/or claiming that it is superior to the iPad are people who bought it themselves (and have an extremely biased opinion). Most of them are out of their mind. Unless your arms weigh 3 pounds each, complaining about how heavy an iPad is (1 and a half pounds) is hilarious. Outside of this forum, most people would definitely agree that the iPad is superior. Why would you keep your tablet in your jacket pocket anyways? It feels much more secure in a bag or backpack when traveling.

And no, the iPad 4 battery doesn't drain out in 4 hours, I'll link you to the specs of the iPad 4 and the iPad mini, respectively. The battery hours are the SAME. I think you're making things up to justify your purchase of an iPad mini. It doesn't surprise me, though. People on this forum have always gone to great lengths to validate their purchases. When in reality, so far in real life, I've seen 0 people with iPad minis -- it's usually an iPad or another tablet like a Surface or Nexus 7, or Playbook.

iPad 4th gen:

Apple said:
Built-in 42.5-watt-hour rechargeable lithium-polymer battery
Up to 10 hours of surfing the web on Wi‑Fi, watching video, or listening to music
Charging via power adapter or USB to computer system

Mini:

Apple said:
Built-in 16.3-watt-hour rechargeable lithium-polymer battery
Up to 10 hours of surfing the web on Wi‑Fi, watching video, or listening to music
Charging via power adapter or USB to computer system

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/
http://www.apple.com/ipad-mini/specs/

Last edited:

TJ5921

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2011
Retina would be great if it didn't defeat the whole purpose of the iPad being MINI.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Retina would be great if it didn't defeat the whole purpose of the iPad being MINI.

Exactly!

And why put out a Mini 2 sooner rather than later when sales of this already nice form factor Mini are fantastic? I assume when sales slow down, that's when we would see a Mini 2.

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
From all the websites I visit on my iPad, I hardly ever notice the blurry images. The applications that are not retina optimized on my iPad are ones I hardly use (and the only one that looks noticeably bad is one called Miner Disturbance, but that is because it hasn't been updated in years)

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Until ipads reach the weight of a magazine they are too heavy.
The mini comes the closest.

Ipad 3 & 4 are too heavy for continuous use.

HeyGreggie

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2011
Hypothetically, would Apple stoop to saying that they are only making the BIGGER ipads Retina, and leavign the Mini's to be normal and non retina?

I'm just curious as that would seem like a selling point, and a reason for Apple to continue the larger ipads.

Large ipads & mini's would share the same gb size, and camera features, siri, and updates... however.. the mini wouldn't ever carry retina.

Is that logical?

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
There is zero reason not to go retina if battery life can be maintained and the device is affordable.

I have retina devices and non-retina and the retina ones look superior in all respects.

No, they should sell the best devices they can, when they can. If that means they can put out a new product in 6 months, so be it.

If that means your device is superseded in 6 months, too bad. It does exactly what it did when you bought it, and will continue to do so.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Cost - a retina display will be more expensive for apple to use, and so that cost will be passed on to us. The current mini is expensive enough as it is.

This is the only entry I disagree with. For mobile devices, Apple has historically NOT charged more for the retina display. The original entry-level iPad was $499. The current entry-level iPad is the same price. Every entry-level iPad between has also been the same price. Same for the iPhone (except it's actually gotten cheaper, not more expensive). There's no reason at all to expect the iPad mini to be any different. Why do you think Apple will suddenly change how they've been doing things?

I would love to see a retina iPad mini. There VERY few cons are eclipsed by the benefits IMO.

----------

Could you explain why having a higher resolution screen defeats the whole purpose of it being the iPad "MINI"? Did the inclusion of a web browser and other computational features defeat the whole purpose of the iPHONE?

----------

iPad mini resolution: 1024x768

iPad2 resolution: 1024x768

What exactly are you trying to tell us? That the interface is optimized for one and not the other? It's the exact same resolution! If it doesn't look clear, then either your eyesight is the issue or something is physically wrong with the screen.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Hypothetically, would Apple stoop to saying that they are only making the BIGGER ipads Retina, and leavign the Mini's to be normal and non retina?

I'm just curious as that would seem like a selling point, and a reason for Apple to continue the larger ipads.

Large ipads & mini's would share the same gb size, and camera features, siri, and updates... however.. the mini wouldn't ever carry retina.

Is that logical?

Possibly because if the next Mini comes with retina and isn't that much bigger and heavier, who will buy the larger iPads?

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Possibly because if the next Mini comes with retina and isn't that much bigger and heavier, who will buy the larger iPads?

People who want a bigger screen. I've got the mini and I love it, for me it's perfect, but I certainly see how people will always want or need a larger screen, no matter what the resolution a larger screen will always be nicer for certain things. Personally, I'm willing to suffer the smaller screen, but that's just me.

The full sized iPad definitely needs to evolve into a form factor that is as thin as the mini, that would make it so beautiful - can't wait to see that happen and the mini get better display while keeping its form factor.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Why the OP is complaining about Retina is beyond me. It's not like his iPad Mini is going to morph into Retina screen once Apple announces it. So, my advice: if you don't want Retina, just keep the Mini you have now. No one is forcing you to buy a new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.