Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
As a ebay seller I know the seller broke ebay terms.

He flagged it as New/Other. But posted in the details bascially New, only Used for 1 month. That right there is a false listing. Call attention to that fact when you file a claim with ebay. When you select New or New/Other ebay warns the seller that the item better meet the terms of new and can not be used/lightly used.

The fact it came in an iphone 4 box means nothing and isn't worth a mention because it was mentioned at least twice it may not be in original packaging.

So. File complaint.

Item was used, although seller selected New
Item is listed as stolen according to verizon.
You would like a refund/return.

fronesis

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2012
Sorry about your bad luck here.

Just for future reference: never buy from a seller with such weak feedback. That seller had two recent negatives and some positive reviews that noted problems. There are plenty of great sellers on eBay.

I just sold my like new iPhone 4S with AppleCare+ for just over $400. My feedback rating is just under 200 and I've been selling on eBay for 14 years. No negatives. Next time spend an extra 5% and go with a great seller.

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
Sorry about your bad luck here.

Just for future reference: never buy from a seller with such weak feedback. That seller had two recent negatives and some positive reviews that noted problems. There are plenty of great sellers on eBay.

I just sold my like new iPhone 4S with AppleCare+ for just over $400. My feedback rating is just under 200 and I've been selling on eBay for 14 years. No negatives. Next time spend an extra 5% and go with a great seller.

I agree with this too. Sellers with such low feedback and indications of problems shouldn't be trusted with an already risky item. I have about 150 feedback and not a single negative either. If I sell a phone, and I 'forget' to mention the ESN, its going to be a good ESN simply because I want to disclose anything negative about the item to avoid bad feedback.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
as somone who has recently lost (well my wife did) their iPhone 4s, make someones christmas merry and give it to Verizon to get back to the orig. owner. I'd love to see my first iPhone again :(

Top1Dog525

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2012
Florence, MS
Post auction number.

You can file a ebay and paypal claim and get your money back if the ESN is bad. Both have rules that favor the buyer so getting your money back is pretty easy.

I agree with Muddy. I have made several purchases over the years with eBay and have gotten my fair share of rotten deals, but every time I have contacted eBay and they have issues complete refunds with minimal questions. It really sucks that this happens but eBay is known for working with the customer and getting things set straight.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
I'd let the cops know in the seller's area that the seller is selling stolen property

Chances are, its not the only thing they've stolen.

Bad esn does not mean its stolen. Also you better be 100 percent sure before you lay an accusation like that.

----------

as somone who has recently lost (well my wife did) their iPhone 4s, make someones christmas merry and give it to Verizon to get back to the orig. owner. I'd love to see my first iPhone again :(

Yeah give it to Verizon and loose $400, that makes sense . Rather than return it and get a refund. Please.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
Go to PayPal a file a claim and you will get your money back. You can also call your credit card company and refuse the charge. Good Luck. :)

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Hey, if the OP is of mind to buy such a phone from eBay, they may read my post and do it!

I have a solution! Just send the OP $400 and you can get the warm and fuzzies from returning the phone to the rightful owner!

Not so easy when you're not spending other people's money is it?

In your scenario only the theif wins (and someone else foots the bill).

I agree it'd be "nice" to do, but don't kid yourself for a second that you'd actually spend $400 just because (because you wouldn't, even if you'd say you would online).

Get the $$$ back and call it a day.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
I have a solution! Just send the OP $400 and you can get the warm and fuzzies from returning the phone to the rightful owner!

Not so easy when you're not spending other people's money is it?

In your scenario only the theif wins (and someone else foots the bill).

I agree it'd be "nice" to do, but don't kid yourself for a second that you'd actually spend $400 just because (because you wouldn't, even if you'd say you would online).

Get the $$$ back and call it a day.

Yeah, but I'm not dumb enough to do it in the first place. Make the best of a bad situation? It was just wishful thinking/venting a bit... relax man, it's Christmas.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Before she bought the phone that seller had 6 Feedbacks and 2 of those were NEGATIVE.

Who buys from a seller with 33% NEGATIVE Feedbacks?

Not me!

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Before she bought the phone that seller had 6 Feedbacks and 2 of those were NEGATIVE.

Not me!
Not me either unless the amount is minuscule. The op has nothing to worry about. PayPal almost always sides the the buyer.

sk24iam

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
If the 4s was sent in a iphone 4 box, then then it sounds like what you received did not match the seller's description. Keep in contact with the seller to try to resolve this. If he can't fix the situation I would request a refund and the money to ship the item back. If you have issues with getting a refund, file a dispute with paypal or your credit card. I don't use ebay to sell phones anymore, I recently listed mine on cellsolo.com and had a far superior experience.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
They sent it in an iPhone 4 box... and you thought it was legit? That was step 1. And it was a verizon iPhone 4s for $375. That was step 2. I'd be surprised if you get anything out of this.

I agree, sounds like you will waste a lot of time trying to track this down, and may not get anywhere, as eBay is really not that helpful once a deal is completed, get the authorities involved, this would be more efficient.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
If the 4s was sent in a iphone 4 box, then then it sounds like what you received did not match the seller's description. Keep in contact with the seller to try to resolve this. If he can't fix the situation I would request a refund and the money to ship the item back. If you have issues with getting a refund, file a dispute with paypal or your credit card. I don't use ebay to sell phones anymore, I recently listed mine on cellsolo.com and had a far superior experience.

The op even said the the seller noted that the item won't ship in original box. How does it not match the description with regards to the box. The esn is bad, which was not noted therefore that's a basis to return it. All he has to do is file with PayPal and the seller will ask for the item back and issue a refund. Op has no problems as PayPal will side with the buyer. No need to get the authorities involved as long as he gets his money back.

BarryL

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012
This selling had a crappy track record when it comes to selling phone.

All three sales (of phones) had issues according to their feedback.

I hate slime ball eBay sellers like this...

Dr Sam Beckett

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2012
They sent it in an iPhone 4 box... and you thought it was legit? That was step 1. And it was a verizon iPhone 4s for $375. That was step 2. I'd be surprised if you get anything out of this.

dont you mean clue or hint? steps would if you giving instructions :p

how are they suppose to know it would show in a iphone 4 box? $375 is a pretty average price?

OP.. can her parents/whom ever car she used just not dispute it with the bank/credit card company??

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
I would have contacted Paypal within minutes of finding out it's stolen. The quicker the better chance of recovering your money.

Any updates?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.