Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PTVMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
I'm buying my sister a new MacBook Air 13" with 4GB RAM/256GB SSD. It's the July 2011 model with 1.7GHz Core i5. A local store has these new for $1149 because they are discontinued. Is this a good price? And, will the unit be eligible for free upgrade to Mountain Lion?

Thanks for input!

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I'm buying my sister a new MacBook Air 13" with 4GB RAM/256GB SSD. It's the July 2011 model with 1.7GHz Core i5. A local store has these new for $1149 because they are discontinued. Is this a good price? And, will the unit be eligible for free upgrade to Mountain Lion?

Thanks for input!

Little more than Apple is asking for it in their refurb store. Refurb just as good as new. Depends on how fast you need it. You can save a little and guarantee it is fully covered by Apple. Plus you will get ML update for sure. You should be asking the local seller all of these questions. They will be able to better answer them for you. Especially if they are licensed reseller of Apple products. I can not imagine them not being able to offer the same to you though.

PTVMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Little more than Apple is asking for it in their refurb store. Refurb just as good as new. Depends on how fast you need it. You can save a little and guarantee it is fully covered by Apple. Plus you will get ML update for sure. You should be asking the local seller all of these questions. They will be able to better answer them for you. Especially if they are licensed reseller of Apple products. I can not imagine them not being able to offer the same to you though.

Thanks for replying. It is an authorized Apple reseller through my university. I will definitely ask them these questions.

Johnny Alien

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2012
Apple refurb is the way to go. For the price they quoted I would honestly look at the 2012 model in the Apple Refurb section. It's only $100 more than that and the upgrades are well worth it. Even though the specs are technically the same the ram is faster, the SSD is faster and the graphics processor is much nicer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.