Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:28 PM   #1
Tsuchiya
macrumors 65816

Bowers & Wilkins A5- Alternatives?

So I'm in the market for a good quality airplay speaker for our lounge. All the adults listen to music via their iOS devices and my younger sisters have iPods but an actual "dock" isn't necessary, AUX would be fine.

I already use Bowers & Wilkins MM-1's at my desk and absolutely love them so I'm thinking about the A5.

That being said, if I'm spending that kind of money on an Airplay speaker are there any other options worth considering? Also any A5/7 owners here?
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:48 AM   #2
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuchiya View Post
... if I'm spending that kind of money on an Airplay speaker are there any other options worth considering? Also any A5/7 owners here?
Yes, you can do much better with an airport express router plugged into a "standard" stereo system.

The way to select components is to start with the listeing position, where you are in the room, then choose speakers based on that and then worry about what electonics to drive them.
ChrisA is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:09 AM   #3
AppleDApp
macrumors 68020

What size is the lounge? I strongly recommend using a regular stereo system connected to an airport express or Apple TV. What's your budget 500$ or so?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 05:40 PM   #4
mac jones
macrumors 68040

Just get an Airport express. I use this and the Apple tv for Airplay (That is, if you are too chicken to get this awesome speaker. (Gosh I want one )

BTW, something really bad has happened to Airplay with iTunes 11 for my setups. It used to be foolproof, now i'm having serious problems. They had better fix this or i'm going to have a fit (not pretty).

Last edited by mac jones; Jan 3, 2013 at 05:47 PM.
mac jones is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio