Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:19 PM   #1
skysailing
macrumors regular

Parallels or VMWare for RMBP?

I keep trying to figure out what the heck makes them different..also, which one is retina compatible?
Please suggest one that doesn't require a disk. I'm trying to install everything on the machine without a disk.

It sucks that neither of them is on the App store.

----------

OK, so I found the direct download for Parallels. I'm just really hoping it's Retina ready.
skysailing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:20 PM   #2
Ccrew
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailing View Post
I keep trying to figure out what the heck makes them different..also, which one is retina compatible?
Please suggest one that doesn't require a disk. I'm trying to install everything on the machine without a disk.

It sucks that neither of them is on the App store.
Both VMWare and Parallels can be downloaded from their respective vendors websites. VMWare you get a 30 day trial, I think Parallels has one also. Both support retina.

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/inf...are_fusion/5_0
Ccrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:25 PM   #3
skysailing
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccrew View Post
Both VMWare and Parallels can be downloaded from their respective vendors websites. VMWare you get a 30 day trial, I think Parallels has one also. Both support retina.

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/inf...are_fusion/5_0
Awesome! Now, how would I buy Windows 8? Please don't tell me I have to get Windows 7 first. Does Parallels come with the option to purchase Windows 8 via direct download when I install it? I can't seem to find Windows 8 (only the upgrade).
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:34 PM   #4
Ccrew
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Awesome! Now, how would I buy Windows 8? Please don't tell me I have to get Windows 7 first. Does Parallels come with the option to purchase Windows 8 via direct download when I install it? I can't seem to find Windows 8 (only the upgrade).
Try the Eval first. This link should still be active...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-in/eval.../jj554510.aspx
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:44 PM   #5
skysailing
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccrew View Post
Try the Eval first. This link should still be active...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-in/eval.../jj554510.aspx
You rock man. Thank you so much!
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:37 PM   #6
JoeRito
macrumors 6502

Love Parallels 8... I have win 7 and win 8 loaded on my Mac... you can buy a copy through the parallels interface, but you'll pay full price. I've purchased my licenses through other online sites and saved $$. Tiger, et al has copies, even eBay.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:59 PM   #7
skysailing
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRito View Post
Love Parallels 8... I have win 7 and win 8 loaded on my Mac... you can buy a copy through the parallels interface, but you'll pay full price. I've purchased my licenses through other online sites and saved $$. Tiger, et al has copies, even eBay.
I can DIGITALLY buy it from the installed screen? Awesome. Do you remember how much it was?
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:17 PM   #8
JoeRito
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I can DIGITALLY buy it from the installed screen? Awesome. Do you remember how much it was?
I don't recall the price but many items are available in the "convenience store" accessed in the front panel of Parallels 8.

Here's a link with more info on where & how to get Windows:
http://kb.parallels.com/4729

Other OS's are availbale for free within Parallel's VM list.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 06:44 AM   #9
bielen
macrumors regular

Parallels Over VMWare Fusion.

I've been a VMWare user since Fusion was released in 2008. Over the past week since my new iMac arrived, I've been trialing Parallels 8. I am extremely impressed. I've used Windows 8, Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. All have run extremely smoothly. I'm making the leap and moving from VMWare to Parallels once the trial expires. Very nice Mac integration as well. You will not be disappointed.
bielen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 05:50 PM   #10
DavoteK
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bielen View Post
I've been a VMWare user since Fusion was released in 2008. Over the past week since my new iMac arrived, I've been trialing Parallels 8. I am extremely impressed. I've used Windows 8, Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. All have run extremely smoothly. I'm making the leap and moving from VMWare to Parallels once the trial expires. Very nice Mac integration as well. You will not be disappointed.
I'm looking at running this in a work environment in the new year and will need a couple of Virtual Machines running. What do you find are the benefits of Parallels over VMWare Fusion?
DavoteK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:01 PM   #11
Ccrew
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavoteK View Post
I'm looking at running this in a work environment in the new year and will need a couple of Virtual Machines running. What do you find are the benefits of Parallels over VMWare Fusion?
Parallels seems to be smoother. Fusion will create a file that will migrate right into a corporate VMWare farm though. Most IT departments won't flinch at dealing with a Fusion created VM, as it's essentially the same as any other if they're running ESX.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:35 PM   #12
bielen
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavoteK View Post
I've found opening/closing VMs much faster than Parallels. I often switch between environments and it's painful to watch spinning beach ball. There is a convenient open in Internet Explorer right from Safari which is good when you want to test browsers quickly in both Macintosh and Windows or for a specific IE issue which seems to crop up. Parallels fully integrates with the Mac as does VMware, but I'm finding Parallels a bit smoother. Very easy to switch between Mac and Windows apps and launch apps. While VMware does all this too, I just find Parallels a bit more refined. Bother offer converters to each others product so should in the future I want to go back to VMWare, the option exists.

VMWare does have a more friendly user license if you need to run Windows on multiple systems.
bielen is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store