Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

DigiTimes reports that contrary to the early speculation, it will be the Mac mini, not the Mac Pro, that will be shifted to U.S. production.
Apple is reportedly set to move its Mac mini production lines back to the US with Foxconn Electronics (Hon Hai Precision Industry) to be responsible of handling establishment, according to sources from the upstream supply chain.
According to the report, Foxconn already has "about 15 operating bases" in the U.S. and the company plans on recruiting workers for 2013 for new automated production lines. The Mac mini is expected to reach 1.8 million sales units in 2013, up from 1.4 million units in 2012.

During a recent interview with NBC's Brian Williams, Apple CEO Tim Cook revealed that one of the existing Mac lines will be manufactured exclusively in the United States next year. Early speculation had suggested the Mac Pro might be that Mac model due to its relatively low volume of sales.

Article Link: Apple to Move Mac mini Production to U.S.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Now that I know, in retrospect, it seems you don't want to move the lowest volume product to the US, you want the one that can use the most automation. Many time s avery low volume product must be hand made because it does not pay to create the high level of automation. The "Mini" is a higher volume product but it is also simple enough that robots can make it.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Good deal. They have to start somewhere. Hopefully it is a successful program and more devices are manufactured here in the future.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Hmm.. Counter intuitive. The Mac Pro was the obvious choice. Just goes to show that I should be running Apple instead of Tim. :)

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
Now that I know, in retrospect, it seems you don't want to move the lowest volume product to the US, you want the one that can use the most automation. Many time s avery low volume product must be hand made because it does not pay to create the high level of automation. The "Mini" is a higher volume product but it is also simple enough that robots can make it.

You think a robot can make a Mac Mini by itself? Then you have no idea what goes into the making of a computer or what robots can do and what humans can do.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
brilliant

Good move, Apple! They really should play up the Made in the USA angle in their advertising.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Good move, Apple! They really should play up the Made in the USA angle in their advertising.

It seems to me such a move would backfire. People would wonder why Apple makes 90% (just an estimate I came up with just now) of their computers overseas - you can't advertise Made in the USA when one of your relatively uncommon lines (of five) are made in the US and the other 4 (including several more popular lines) are made overseas.

JS3

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
Surprised apple is still making Mac mini. Wouldn't the price go down if it was made here?

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
The new Mac Mini is actually pretty friendly to take apart and upgrade so it should come as no shock that it would be simple to assemble in the USA (not so small that it's hard to work on and not so complex that it takes a lot of skilled worker time at low wages to produce profitably).

As for the Mac Pro, I'll believe that they're going to update it when I see it. They've shown a total callous disregard for the professional market in general these past few years and never once even lowered the price of the Mac Pro even when its was HORRIBLY out of date. Apple sometimes seems to lose all touch with reality. Why even bother if that's the best they're going to do? So what if they update it to modern specs one more time? We won't likely see another update for another 4-5 years....

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I get the Mac Pro isn't a big seller and maybe too much. But cut the chassis in half, call it the Mac and offer at least one PCIE slot with lots of external expansion ports with dual Ethernet. Knock off $500 off the price and I bet it'll sell more units.

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
Unexpected!

That's unexpected, most of us assuming the Mac Pro is the #1 candidate for this. I guess Apple will be abandoning the Mac Pros from now on and focus on MacMini Pro made in the USA.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Production in the US is great! It lets our engineers monitor production. That's how a lot of inventions were thought of.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.