Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:37 PM   #1
desertman
macrumors 6502

Cannot copy "Data Rescue 3" to USB stick

I'd like to have a USB stick with a couple of utilities, Data Rescue 3 being one of them. However, it is not possible to copy the application to a USB stick. The copy process gets always interrupted with with the error message "The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have permission to access “Data Rescue 3”".

I have several times set the rights for the application file to 777 (drwxrwxrwx) and also cleared the ACLs and the xatts. However, when I look at the file with Terminal it shows "drwxrwxrwx@" and the @ usually means that there are still extended file attributes.

Strange is that I can copy the file from Applications to the Desktop but I cannot copy it from Applications or the Desktop to a USB stick.

Does anybody know what is going on here and how I can force this file onto a USB stick? I guess it will certainly be possible as root. However, I have had things like this already several times and would like to find a way to copy such a file as a normal (admin) user.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:06 PM   #2
desertman
macrumors 6502

I found a workaround by compressing the application file, copying the zip file onto the USB drive and decompressing it there. But I still would like to know what is going on here...
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:05 PM   #3
ezramoore
macrumors 6502a

Have you tried asking Prosoft? I'm sure they would be more than willing to help.
ezramoore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:35 PM   #4
desertman
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezramoore View Post
Have you tried asking Prosoft?
I rather don't because I would prefer that they don't try to close the "zip-copy-unzip" hole.

By the way - Data Rescue works without problems when started from the USB stick.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:48 PM   #5
ezramoore
macrumors 6502a

I doubt that is a hole. I expect that they would be willing to help. I've never read anything in the many TOS that I've agreed to with them over the years saying I had to run DR3 (or any of their software) off of a CD/DVD.
ezramoore is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion