Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
Poor thing. He thinks Doomsday has passed...

----------

Should I do the water-resistance test before or after the drop test?

----------

Unfortunately, MacRumors doesn't have a NSFW tag.

Dude, just kidding. I would do the same tests when there are so many variations in the same product. Was just saying that the Apple Store employee has no clue about how much information an average MacRumor reader is empowered with when it comes to Apple products. He is in for a dizzy spin of tests and commands to run that he probably has never heard of.

Forerunner

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 24, 2012
California
Dude, just kidding. I would do the same tests when there are so many variations in the same product. Was just saying that the Apple Store employee has no clue about how much information an average MacRumor reader is empowered with when it comes to Apple products. He is in for a dizzy spin of tests and commands to run that he probably has never heard of.

I know, I know. I'm actually surprised at how much this thread has distanced from the original question. All I was looking for was a few more online display tests!:mad:

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
I know, I know. I'm actually surprised at how much this thread has distanced from the original question. All I was looking for was a few more online display tests!:mad:

I was plagued with a shimmering and almost invisible text when scrolling web pages in like yahoo or even macrumors in my MBA. It had an LG Panel. Got another one and its a Samsung and no terrible flickering. All LCD screens flicker when scrolling and its normal,but not to the extent of the text vanishing. Indicates very slow response time. So that's one test you might want to do.

http://www.marco.org/rmbp-irtest.html

The above is for image retention test. Honestly I don't know, if you can go by that. It could be the screen or persistence of vision of our eyes. Other readers here who are into electronics engineering or experienced in the TV/display industry can enlighten us.

I just opened my brand new rMBP and it has an LG screen as well. But no issues and came calibrated perfect from the factory. I say this because, being the top of the line notebook, Apple probably has more QC on the line for rMBP.

I was initially a little miffed at the LG Panel, but that's because I been reading too much stuff here at Macrumors. But then I calmed down and looked at it objectively without any prejudice and I saw that it was a great Panel. No light leaks,uneven lighting or any tint anywhere on the screen. It was flat as a piece of A4 paper.

After that I am enjoying the Retina display and discovering how things look on this notebook and its a visual feast:)

Just look for the usual suspects and carefully watch the gray screen when booting, good time to check for uneven light or bleeding.

Try a visually rich web page in various resolutions and if it scales properly without any glitches or flicker etc.

Yahoo doesn't scroll smoothly, but other sites do. It's not a issue with the MBP but of the site.

Check the basic stuff and if it checks out pack it back and enjoy the thing. You have 30 days time to return it during this season I think. Not sure, but check with them.

Remember, if you go looking for something wrong, more often than not, you will find it. I wish it worked that way for money:)

Last edited:

Forerunner

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 24, 2012
California
And what did you find? Were they consistent?

To be honest, the lag were near unbearable. All the rMBP 15" demo units were plagued with scroll lag to the point where it started hurting your eyes. At most, scrolling in Safari ran at about 10fps. :eek:

Other than that, the IR in both units was present, but barely noticeable (no effect on day-to-day usage).

I was pretty happy with the displays I saw, but I also know that the store would have replaced any defective demo units with exceptional ones. I'm not as concerned about the display anymore, but I hope Apple can fix some scroll lag and OS sluggishness in software updates! :D

EDIT: The scroll lag was somewhat reduced (read: less noticeable) when I disabled inertia scrolling, for obvious reasons. But this is likely a software issue, and I can wait for an update.

Last edited:

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
To be honest, the lag were near unbearable. All the rMBP 15" demo units were plagued with scroll lag to the point where it started hurting your eyes. At most, scrolling in Safari ran at about 10fps. :eek:

Other than that, the IR in both units was present, but barely noticeable (no effect on day-to-day usage).

I was pretty happy with the displays I saw, but I also know that the store would have replaced any defective demo units with exceptional ones. I'm not as concerned about the display anymore, but I hope Apple can fix some scroll lag and OS sluggishness in software updates! :D

EDIT: The scroll lag was somewhat reduced (read: less noticeable) when I disabled inertia scrolling, for obvious reasons. But this is likely a software issue, and I can wait for an update.

I heard the new webkit build got rid of scrolling issues and is running smoothly at 50 fps.

Not sure when Safari will officially get that update.

So did you do the LG vs Samsung test? :)

How many were Samsung's and vice versa?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.