Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
Actually it probably won't for a couple of reasons. Apple could eat their margins to keep the product secret by moving it to the U.S. and avoiding leaks. If they moved to an automated system they don't have to pay for assembly line workers. Since the Mac Mini is a small part of the Mac line, they would use it for a test product to iron out the kinks to bring other products to the U.S.

Good to hear we're making Mac's but i feel like now the price is going to go up

76ShovelHead

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2010
Florida
Wow. Awesome. This will likely be my next Mac (and first new one) to replace my aging Hackintosh!

Delighted to know it will be made right here in the good ole U S of A :)

shoebobs

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2008
Glad to hear this. I plan on getting a mini eventually, but it would be for secondary uses/non-essential. I was considering purchasing one relatively soon but since I have no immediate need for a mini, I will wait for the "Made in the USA" models to start rolling out. I always try to buy local/American over China.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
So? This doesn't contradict a word of what Cook mentioned.

An interesting question, though: Will the Mini eventually replace the Mac Pro? A server-grade Mini, same name, but new product, with thunderbolt expansion bays? I dunno, just brain-vomit at this point, but an interesting thought, nonetheless.

irmongoose

Cube II :apple:

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
So will Foxconn just ship it's workers to the US to make these things? If Apple was serious about cleaning up the production line they would make them in house not contract out.

76ShovelHead

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2010
Florida
And quality will go way down.

You couldn't be more incorrect in your assumption :)

Perhaps it is that you are just unaware of the conditions in these foreign factories.

Just because something was 'imported' doesn't mean it possesses some innate quality unrivaled by any of its domestic counterparts. This stereotype needs to die, and you should be ashamed of yourself not having any respect for our country.

Last edited by a moderator:

foidulus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2007
Mac Pros are already produced in the US

Apple cannot "move" something to the US that has pretty much always been in the US to begin with. Every single Mac Pro I've seen(granted haven't seen any new ones in a few years) has been assembled in the USA. They are simply too bulky and too low-volume to assemble them in China then air mail them over. Mac Minis on the other hand have never been assembled in the US. Being quite light and pretty high-volume(which makes assembling large #s of them then shipping by boat economical) meant that they could be affordably assembled elsewhere.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Apple cannot "move" something to the US that has pretty much always been in the US to begin with. Every single Mac Pro I've seen(granted haven't seen any new ones in a few years) has been assembled in the USA. They are simply too bulky and too low-volume to assemble them in China then air mail them over. Mac Minis on the other hand have never been assembled in the US. Being quite light and pretty high-volume(which makes assembling large #s of them then shipping by boat economical) meant that they could be affordably assembled elsewhere.
Where in the US are they assembled?

Ralf The Dog

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
Cool that it will be manufactured in the Untied States. Sad that the money will be shipped to China. I dream of a day when there are American companies that are capable of making stuff. (Auto industry excluded.)

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
with Foxconn Electronics (Hon Hai Precision Industry) to be responsible of handling establishment

i.e. the facilities will have nets for jumpers, cots - er, housing, and a 24/7 "Panda Express" for 10 minute lunches.

On a serious note, wtf? Once again, the Mac Pro gets shafted while iPad production is "ramped up" for a new, thinner, and more magical model.

Really.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
i.e. the facilities will have nets for jumpers, cots - er, housing, and a 24/7 "Panda Express" for 10 minute lunches.

On a serious note, wtf? Once again, the Mac Pro gets shafted while iPad production is "ramped up" for a new, thinner, and more magical model.

Really.

Apple's mentality is that the Mac Pro is no longer relevant and will be phased out. Just look at what happened to the Mac Server and the 17 inch Mac Pro. With Apple, you get less and less choice for when things really matter.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Apple's mentality is that the Mac Pro is no longer relevant and will be phased out. Just look at what happened to the Mac Server and the 17 inch Mac Pro. With Apple, you get less and less choice for when things really matter.

Agreed on last count.

While power systems may be thinning out, I've noticed a pattern of Apple purposefully neglecting this sect then turning around and exclaiming, "See! The Mac Pro is dead. This is a post-pc era. Go buy more iPad's and iMac's."

Yeah, I'd like to see a loaded iMac core i7 take on even a small bit of HD rendering that my Mac Pro 12-Core handles like a hot knife through butter. Time is money, just because an iMac can handle some professional/creative work doesn't mean it can be productive in a timely manner. I just bought a loaded Mac Mini, and while some tests claim it's fast, doesn't beat out my Pro and I need the speed for work.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
The new Mac Mini is actually pretty friendly to take apart and upgrade so it should come as no shock that it would be simple to assemble in the USA (not so small that it's hard to work on and not so complex that it takes a lot of skilled worker time at low wages to produce profitably).

As for the Mac Pro, I'll believe that they're going to update it when I see it. They've shown a total callous disregard for the professional market in general these past few years and never once even lowered the price of the Mac Pro even when its was HORRIBLY out of date. Apple sometimes seems to lose all touch with reality. Why even bother if that's the best they're going to do? So what if they update it to modern specs one more time? We won't likely see another update for another 4-5 years....

I don't think the Mac Pro fits into Apple's portfolio anymore. A separate heavy bulky computer, made by reusable parts, with an external screen?

No, they prefer a computer to have all things integrated, not just for aesthetics and simplicity, but you also need to buy new very often, and throw the old away --> Apple profit.

I don't think the Mac Pro returns in its current form. And yes, it's rather absurd of them to disregard the professional market so long, and overcharging for horribly outdated hardware.

I am damn tired of hearing of iPhones and iPads. Need to get solid alternatives for serious computing back.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
I don't think the Mac Pro fits into Apple's portfolio anymore. A separate heavy bulky computer, made by reusable parts, with an external screen?

No, they prefer a computer to have all things integrated, not just for aesthetics and simplicity, but you also need to buy new very often, and throw the old away --> Apple profit.

I don't think the Mac Pro returns in its current form. And yes, it's rather absurd of them to disregard the professional market so long, and overcharging for horribly outdated hardware.

I am damn tired of hearing of iPhones and iPads. Need to get solid alternatives for serious computing back.

I bet if Apple does introduce an updated Mac Pro, it will be glued shut.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
Hmm.. Counter intuitive. The Mac Pro was the obvious choice. Just goes to show that I should be running Apple instead of Tim. :)

Just goes to show there isn't a MacPro coming. Something maybe, but not resembling the MacPro we all know.

----------

You'll note every iMac that isn't purchased as is, but has some amount of customization (Ram upgrade, etc) says Assembled in US on it. And that's just it. Assebled means Ram inserted, screw tightened. They ship a certain number here to be customized. Those have the assembled in USA moniker on them. Probably the same for MacPro.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Just goes to show there isn't a MacPro coming. Something maybe, but not resembling the MacPro we all know.

----------

You'll note every iMac that isn't purchased as is, but has some amount of customization (Ram upgrade, etc) says Assembled in US on it. And that's just it. Assebled means Ram inserted, screw tightened. They ship a certain number here to be customized. Those have the assembled in USA moniker on them. Probably the same for MacPro.

Yeah...Well I hope you are wrong. Although you are right that the future of the MacPro isn't looking too bright. I'm hoping we get a nice surprise early in 2013. We'll know the story by the end of next year. Maybe early next year? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.