Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

USB123

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
Ireland
Hi all,
I have a base Mac mini, with 4GB of RAM and no upgrades (see signature). I don't use photoshop or heavy applications but I watched a 2-hour movie online in full-screen last night and noticed after about an hour the playback was like in "slight" slow-motion and got a little bit slower.
I was wondering would the lagging problem be solved by installing extra RAM, and if so would I be better off getting either the 8 or 16GB of RAM? Or is it because of the Intel HD graphics 4000?
Thanks.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
may just be your internet connection.

sometimes the provider slows you down on what they think is heavy usage.

I will say ram is cheap it does not hurt to have 8gb.

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009
Your Mac Mini should be able to handle it without any issues. You have plenty of ram and the integrated graphics should be able to handle it with ease. Getting more ram won't help. The most likely culprit is your internet bandwidth. How fast is your internet and who is your internet provider?

USB123

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
Ireland
Your Mac Mini should be able to handle it without any issues. You have plenty of ram and the integrated graphics should be able to handle it with ease. Getting more ram won't help. The most likely culprit is your internet bandwidth. How fast is your internet and who is your internet provider?

Its a 50MB wireless broadband service, practically unlimited monthly download allowance. I got the actual download/upload speeds off speedtest.net:

j8fymr.jpg

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Its a 50MB wireless broadband service, practically unlimited monthly download allowance. I got the actual download/upload speeds off speedtest.net:

yeah you could still be streaming from a slow site. and like it or not wireless is very very very very inconsistent . Can you hard wire the connection to test?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.