Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:19 PM   #1
LoNicot
macrumors newbie

PowerPC G4 starts to launch, then shuts down

My desktop G4 has been working great for years. I recently powered down, then when I powered up, fans turn on, I get the chimes, the grey apple screen, the spinning wheel, then, a minute later, the fans turn off and the whole thing powers down.
With a safe boot, it has the black screen with white lettering and says several things like (forgive me for not being exact - it happens fast) "can't complete .... " and has a few screens of this, then pauses, then says "killing all processes" "cpu done" and powers down again.
I've tried booting from the install disk, and it powers down again. I've removed all peripherals, including extra memory and extra usb ports, same thing. I've plugged into different outlets, same thing. I've reset the little PMU switch, same thing. The little battery measures 3.6V.
Any advice would be appreciated.
LoNicot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:49 AM   #2
Lil Chillbil
macrumors 65816

bad cpu is what it sounds like to me
Old Dec 24, 2012, 01:31 PM   #3
PowerPCMacMan
Banned

I don't think its CPU.

I think what the problem could be is a faulty power supply.. What G4 do you have? If you have the MDD, then it could be a faulty Front Power Module.. I suspect PSU at this point.

If the CPU was the problem, nothing would come on... no grey screen, no Apple, no chimes, nothing... or you could still get chimes, but a series of chimes, I think 5 of them which means: PROCESSOR IS UNUSABLE.
PowerPCMacMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 01:55 PM   #4
DarkSel
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Chillbil View Post
bad cpu is what it sounds like to me
It sounds more like the CPU is overheating.

If it was the power supply, the machine would not be able to stop all processes before shutting down.
DarkSel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:11 PM   #5
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSel View Post
It sounds more like the CPU is overheating.
Yeah, I think you are right. It doesn't appear to be an issue with anything until the CPU has heated up.
MisterKeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:28 PM   #6
LoNicot
macrumors newbie

so what do I do?

Thanks for all the input.
So, if the CPU is overheating, how do I prevent it from doing so? All the fans seem to be working.
LoNicot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:02 PM   #7
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoNicot View Post
So, if the CPU is overheating, how do I prevent it from doing so? All the fans seem to be working.
You can reapply heatsink paste- Google it, you'll find tutorials.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:43 PM   #8
rabidz7
Banned

Location: Isla De Juventud, south Havana provence, Cincinnati Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoNicot View Post
This might not be worth it, but a liquid cooling system would work wonders. But you can just reapply heatsink paste. If applying thermal paste does not work, then it is time for a new fan or liquid cooling system.
rabidz7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:40 PM   #9
Lil Chillbil
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidz7 View Post
This might not be worth it, but a liquid cooling system would work wonders. But you can just reapply heatsink paste. If applying thermal paste does not work, then it is time for a new fan or liquid cooling system.
a liquid cooling system on a g4 would not be a good idea

however I have jerryrigged many a fan system on a g4 using super glue and a clearence fan from fry's electronics
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:32 AM   #10
Zotaccian
macrumors 6502a

Does the situation change if you disconnect the hard disk and then try to boot from install disk?
Zotaccian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:42 AM   #11
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidz7 View Post
A liquid cooling system would offer no improvement over air cooling whatsoever. With proper air cooling the system runs fine, so why take the risks of liquid with no possible gain?
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:47 AM   #12
rabidz7
Banned

Location: Isla De Juventud, south Havana provence, Cincinnati Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterKeeks View Post
A liquid cooling system would offer no improvement over air cooling whatsoever. With proper air cooling the system runs fine, so why take the risks of liquid with no possible gain?
It would run cooler and that would make the entire system last longer and it would allow for overclocking.
rabidz7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs