Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
On Halloween I received my new iPhone 5 from Verizon through an upgrade (2-year contract renewal), which had a defective auto-focus right out of the box. This was confirmed by a Genius at my local Apple Store the following day. He offered to replace the device right then and there, but said he didn't know if it was a refurb or a brand new device. I wasn't about to accept a refurb after just receiving a defective brand new phone the day before, so I declined and told him I would contact Verizon as they offer a "worry free" guarantee within the first 14 days of purchase. That way I was guaranteed a new device. He said he understood and gave me a printout stating the camera was defective and that I had brought the phone in to be checked out.

I called Verizon and explained the issue, and they had a new device to me about a week later once they received more stock from Apple. The second iPhone was cosmetically flawless (the first device had a nick on the beveled edge behind the lock button, as well as a scratch underneath the glass screen to the left of the front facing camera), but had a really audible rattle near the camera area. I'm not talking about the normal rattle iPhone's have due to the auto-focus assembly in the camera, I'm talking about what sounded like a small screw or marble rattling around inside the phone. I dealt with it for a couple weeks until it started to become more and more noticeable. I called Verizon back and was told that it was a hardware issue, and that they had already replaced it once, and then referred me to Apple. I contacted AppleCare and was sent a third device (which cost $29 because of the Express Replacement option I selected) and received it about 10 days ago. I packaged the rattling one up in the box the new one came in and sent it back via FedEx. This one (Week 44 model) has no cosmetic flaws and absolutely no rattle, but what I am experiencing now is ALOT of purple in the corners of my photos. The "purple flare" issue, as it's being called. Prior to owning the iPhone 5 I had a Galaxy S3, which I liked, but found to be just too big. I also prefer iOS over Android, though I do like both platforms.

I just got off the phone with AppleCare, again, and was told that the device I have is normal, and that while the purple flare issue wasn't something all iPhones's experience, it wasn't something they would replace, either. The rep I spoke to told me to either hold the phone differently, or cup my hand over the camera area to help decrease the effect of the problem. Seriously? Cup my hand over the camera? Hold it differently? I then explained, in his own words, that if all models of the phone didn't experience this problem, why should Apple be the ones to make the decision as to whether I should have to deal with this for the next two years or so. I then explained the previous issues I've experienced and he said I could do another Express Replacement for the $29 fee, which I agreed to. Also, the metal lens ring on the back of the phone is clearly off-center, creating a small gap on the left side of the cutout for the lens. I have no idea if that's adding to the camera issues I'm having or not. My guess is no, but it still looks like shoddy manufacturing to me. For such an expensive phone these devices should be as close to "perfect" as possible.

While I refuse to send back a phone for just a scratch or a chip, I think I'm well within my rights to request a new device from Apple. Is it just me or does it seem that with the iPhone 5, at least so far, you're just exchanging one issue for another when you replace them? I guess I had higher expectations. Any advice on how to handle such issues in the future? Is there a better way to go about it? Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Last edited:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Return it and buy something else.

Oh and try paragraphs or bullet points, please!

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
You're extremely helpful. Thanks. I'm out of my 30 day window, so returning it isn't an option. Common knowledge. Anyone else?

Chuchichan

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2010
Maryland
Return it and buy something else.

Oh and try paragraphs or bullet points, please!

Yes, I second this. Are you near an Apple Store? If you are just go in and demand a replacement. If not, call them and demand a replacement.

I also second the use of paragraphs (man, that was a tough read!)

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
You are past the point of getting your money back. You have 2 choices. Set up another apple appointment and try to get a replacement, or sell your iphone 5 and get $500 or more depending on size, and go back to an android device.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
Sorry, using my phone. I'll clean it up a bit. The Apple Store near where I live (30 minutes away) isn't very customer friendly. At least not in my experience and the experience of those I know. They're never on time and appointments tend to become all afternoon/evening affairs. Plus, I'm pretty busy at the moment, so finding time is tough. But thanks for the input.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Call them up, demand a replacement. If they deny it, say something along the lines of "Others have a flawless phone and paid the same price I paid. Why should mine be defective?" If that doesn't work, ask for a supervisor. You're bound to get a replacement. If you have to, say you won't shop Apple anymore (threaten). Hope it helps. Also, please use paragraphs :)

Chuchichan

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2010
Maryland
Sorry, using my phone. I'll clean it up a bit. The Apple Store near where I live (30 minutes away) isn't very customer friendly. At least not in my experience and the experience of those I know. They're never on time and appointments tend to become all afternoon/evening affairs. Plus, I'm pretty busy at the moment, so finding time is tough. But thanks for the input.

That would be the place to go when you have time. You can report employees as well if they're rude.

Apple's warranty on hardware is one year.

Do you have Apple Care? I think you can get Apple Care within the first year of purchase and that might make it easier to exchange.

I have Apple Care on my iphone 4 and I recently went to the Apple Store and they replaced it for a new one simply because I didn't like Apple Maps.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
That would be the place to go when you have time. You can report employees as well if they're rude.

Apple's warranty on hardware is one year.

Do you have Apple Care? I think you can get Apple Care within the first year of purchase and that might make it easier to exchange.

I have Apple Care on my iphone 4 and I recently went to the Apple Store and they replaced it for a new one simply because I didn't like Apple Maps.

Really? Just based on the maps app? That's odd, but impressive at the same time.
I actually don't have AppleCare, I have insurance through VZW, which is Asurion. The rep mentioned tonight it was an option for me. Maybe I'll call back and add it and cancel the insurance I get through my provider. I think I pay $8 or $9 per month as it stands right now. However, before I sink anymore money into Apple, I would like a device that performs the way it should. I'm not interested in reporting anyone or going out of my way to cause anyone a problem with their boss, I just want the issue fixed to my satisfaction.

----------

Call them up, demand a replacement. If they deny it, say something along the lines of "Others have a flawless phone and paid the same price I paid. Why should mine be defective?" If that doesn't work, ask for a supervisor. You're bound to get a replacement. If you have to, say you won't shop Apple anymore (threaten). Hope it helps. Also, please use paragraphs :)

Thanks, good stuff. I'll keep that in mind. The paragraph issue has been addressed lol

Chuchichan

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2010
Maryland
"Really? Just based on the maps app? That's odd, but impressive at the same time.
I actually don't have AppleCare, I have insurance through VZW, which is Asurion. The rep mentioned tonight it was an option for me. Maybe I'll call back and add it and cancel the insurance I get through my provider. I think I pay $8 or $9 per month as it stands right now. However, before I sink anymore money into Apple, I would like a device that performs the way it should. I'm not interested in reporting anyone or going out of my way to cause anyone a problem with their boss, I just want the issue fixed to my satisfaction."

Yes. This was at the Apple Store in Ginza, Tokyo. So, their service level might be higher, but of course it should be the same anywhere.

I didn't even ask for a replacement. I just wanted to see if there was anything they could do. The genius technician even brought out three or four and opened them up so I could look at them. This was because I was also experiencing the yellow screen tint issue...

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
"Really? Just based on the maps app? That's odd, but impressive at the same time.
I actually don't have AppleCare, I have insurance through VZW, which is Asurion. The rep mentioned tonight it was an option for me. Maybe I'll call back and add it and cancel the insurance I get through my provider. I think I pay $8 or $9 per month as it stands right now. However, before I sink anymore money into Apple, I would like a device that performs the way it should. I'm not interested in reporting anyone or going out of my way to cause anyone a problem with their boss, I just want the issue fixed to my satisfaction."

Yes. This was at the Apple Store in Ginza, Tokyo. So, their service level might be higher, but of course it should be the same anywhere.

I didn't even ask for a replacement. I just wanted to see if there was anything they could do. The genius technician even brought out three or four and opened them up so I could look at them. This was because I was also experiencing the yellow screen tint issue...

Three or four just so you could look at them? Nice. Maybe I need to hop a flight to Japan then. When I brought my first iPhone into the Apple Store and the Genius deemed it defective I brought up the nick/scratch in closing conversation, to which he made a face of "no big deal" and shrugged his shoulders. I wasn't offended by the reaction, but you can tell to them imperfections are acceptable.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011

I would cancel VZW insurance too. You pay $9 a month or around $180 for 20 months, plus you have to shell out another $199 for the replacement phone. So if you got phone under contract for $199, and you add another $180 for insurance, you are up to $380 for you phone if you dont break it. If you do, add another $199 if you do break it and that subsidized $649 iphone costs you nearly $580.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
I would cancel VZW insurance too. You pay $9 a month or around $180 for 20 months, plus you have to shell out another $199 for the replacement phone. So if you got phone under contract for $199, and you add another $180 for insurance, you are up to $380 for you phone if you dont break it. If you do, add another $199 if you do break it and that subsidized $649 iphone costs you nearly $580.

Agreed. AppleCare appears to be the better bet.

----------

Someone mentioned selling the device. Is there any safer way to do it other than Craigslist? I heard places like Gazelle rip you off.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
It looks like my replacement is going to be a Week 49 model. Any idea how recent that is?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.