Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:16 AM   #1
NewWorld4
macrumors newbie

IMEI Unlock Then Keep Using Orig Carrier OK?

Hello everyone, I have a question regarding IMEI unlocks for Iphones.

I have a 4s still under contract w/ AT&T and heard that it is generally possible to get one unlocked thru an IMEI Unlock.

Here are some questions I have concerning the IMEI unlock process:
1. Will it be possible to have my iphone unlocked while it is still under contract?

2. Once I get it unlocked, am I required to use diff carrier's sim card or can I keep using my original AT&T sim for the time being until I find a new phone or carrier? In other words, will AT&T find out about this unauthorised unlock and relock my iphone if I continue using the same sim card? (I understand the logic of using same carrier after unlock does not make sense, but bear with me)

3. My ultimate goal is to get the latest iphone (factory unlocked from Apple) under my account and send this current 4s to my relative if I can get it to unlock. Once I get it unlocked should I then report as lost and then send it? Would this restore the lock since I have now essentially blacklisted it? Or should I first report it lost and then get an EMEI unlock?

P.S. Not sure if this makes any difference, but I am planning on sending this 4s overseas.

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate the help
NewWorld4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:04 AM   #2
PsstGreek
macrumors 68040

1. Yes, use a service off of eBay (unlock_fusion)

2. No. You can still use AT&T. AT&T will probably have no clue that your iPhone is unlocked.

3. Why would you report it stolen? That makes no sense.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:17 AM   #3
NewWorld4
macrumors newbie

thanks

Thanks for the reply, PsstGreek.

I figured I would report it as stolen/lost so as to remove that phone from my account, and then substitute-in the new iphone. Don't I need to give a reason to detach a phone from my account considering AT&T subsidized its cost?
NewWorld4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:48 AM   #4
TriJetHero
macrumors 601

bassically what you are suggesting is fraude…

besides that if you report it lost or stolen they will blacklist the phone and it won't work anyway.

when the phone is unlocked you can use it on any carrier, just cut your current SIM to the new IP5 form factor and put in tn there, AT&T won't care as long as you pay.
Mac Book Pro 15" mid 2010
TriJetHero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:55 AM   #5
VTECaddict
macrumors 6502

No need to report it lost or stolen. You can switch phones as you please.
VTECaddict is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:26 AM   #6
dextr3k
macrumors 6502

You have no reason to detach your phone, its not like they give you a maximum number of phones on your account. And you can unassociate yourself with your phone at any time.

Plus you have the added bonus that if something does go wrong, the phone is registered to your account so you can help your relatives troubleshoot.
dextr3k is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks