Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NewWorld4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
Hello everyone, I have a question regarding IMEI unlocks for Iphones.

I have a 4s still under contract w/ AT&T and heard that it is generally possible to get one unlocked thru an IMEI Unlock.

Here are some questions I have concerning the IMEI unlock process:
1. Will it be possible to have my iphone unlocked while it is still under contract?

2. Once I get it unlocked, am I required to use diff carrier's sim card or can I keep using my original AT&T sim for the time being until I find a new phone or carrier? In other words, will AT&T find out about this unauthorised unlock and relock my iphone if I continue using the same sim card? (I understand the logic of using same carrier after unlock does not make sense, but bear with me)

3. My ultimate goal is to get the latest iphone (factory unlocked from Apple) under my account and send this current 4s to my relative if I can get it to unlock. Once I get it unlocked should I then report as lost and then send it? Would this restore the lock since I have now essentially blacklisted it? Or should I first report it lost and then get an EMEI unlock?

P.S. Not sure if this makes any difference, but I am planning on sending this 4s overseas.

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate the help

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
1. Yes, use a service off of eBay (unlock_fusion)

2. No. You can still use AT&T. AT&T will probably have no clue that your iPhone is unlocked.

3. Why would you report it stolen? That makes no sense.

NewWorld4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
thanks

Thanks for the reply, PsstGreek.

I figured I would report it as stolen/lost so as to remove that phone from my account, and then substitute-in the new iphone. Don't I need to give a reason to detach a phone from my account considering AT&T subsidized its cost?

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
bassically what you are suggesting is fraude…

besides that if you report it lost or stolen they will blacklist the phone and it won't work anyway.

when the phone is unlocked you can use it on any carrier, just cut your current SIM to the new IP5 form factor and put in tn there, AT&T won't care as long as you pay.

dextr3k

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
You have no reason to detach your phone, its not like they give you a maximum number of phones on your account. And you can unassociate yourself with your phone at any time.

Plus you have the added bonus that if something does go wrong, the phone is registered to your account so you can help your relatives troubleshoot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.