Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
So I'm in the market for a good quality airplay speaker for our lounge. All the adults listen to music via their iOS devices and my younger sisters have iPods but an actual "dock" isn't necessary, AUX would be fine.

I already use Bowers & Wilkins MM-1's at my desk and absolutely love them so I'm thinking about the A5.

That being said, if I'm spending that kind of money on an Airplay speaker are there any other options worth considering? Also any A5/7 owners here?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
... if I'm spending that kind of money on an Airplay speaker are there any other options worth considering? Also any A5/7 owners here?

Yes, you can do much better with an airport express router plugged into a "standard" stereo system.

The way to select components is to start with the listeing position, where you are in the room, then choose speakers based on that and then worry about what electonics to drive them.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
What size is the lounge? I strongly recommend using a regular stereo system connected to an airport express or Apple TV. What's your budget 500$ or so?

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Just get an Airport express. I use this and the Apple tv for Airplay (That is, if you are too chicken to get this awesome speaker. (Gosh I want one :) )

BTW, something really bad has happened to Airplay with iTunes 11 for my setups. It used to be foolproof, now i'm having serious problems. They had better fix this or i'm going to have a fit (not pretty).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.