Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 25, 2012, 06:54 PM   #51
jakeruston
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Rotherham, UK
 
There's nothing wrong with lightning, but they seriously need to get a move on with allowing companies to use it.

So little devices available right now.
__________________
Owner of jRustonApps.
jakeruston is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:09 AM   #52
kd5jos
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Denver, CO
So much wrong in one place...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfs View Post
Now just suppose you were the manufacturer of something to which an iOS device docks (could be anything ranging from a charging station to high-end medical equipment) and you woke up one day to read in the newspaper that by Apple's fiat your product was now obsolescent, even if you might happen to have three warehouses full of the damn things, and that to stay in business you needed to redesign your product and retool your assembly line.
Problems in this sentence:
1) Every iOS device in the marketplace didn't just suddenly convert to a lightening adapter

2) You assume that no manufacturer has ever heard of JIT manufacturing.

3) You assume every manufacturer that makes everything is in every market. This may encourage them to go into a new foreign market where the lightening connector doesn't exist (as a possible solution to the problem).

4) You assume that companies that manufacture don't have strategies to deal with this.

The fact is, if this is a problem, it can cause interesting solutions, or what we in the tech community call INNOVATION. And for the record, a manufacturing company that doesn't expect things like this, deserves to die off. It's a BAD THING to not have a strategy to deal with change, and be a tech company.

Quote:
If you think the sudden switch to Lightning is bad news for individual consumers like us, consider how awful it is for developers!
It was GREAT news for me and for several developers I know. Faster data speeds means more data in real time, and less waiting for transfers. I (and the developers I know) are willing to pay a price for better. I think MANY people are.

Quote:
Yeah, I know about adapters, but I also know of a lot of products where an adapter just flat won't work, and anyway that thirty-five bucks you have to pay to get one could be called a special "pay Apple to be able to keep on using your stuff" tax.
Let me correct this for you

"pay Apple to be able to keep on using your stuff because technology has moved on and you now have more data moving through a MUCH faster cable/connector"

Quote:
It would have taken a bit of the edge off for us end users if Apple included a free adapter with every new iOS device sold, but I guess all those billions being held in corporate reserve aren't enough for them.
So they should pay for you to get more/better/faster? How entitled are you?
__________________
[Aluminum Abacus] [Steel 3 drawer filing cabinet] [Princess slimline phone][Carrier pigeons]
kd5jos is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:24 AM   #53
albusseverus
macrumors 6502a
 
albusseverus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeruston View Post
There's nothing wrong with lightning, but they seriously need to get a move on with allowing companies to use it.

So little devices available right now.
Thunderbolt has been a disaster in terms of adoption. And what has come out, has been pretty poor and expensive.

Lightning seems to be going down the same road. None to poor. And no wonder, if even charging becomes such an issue!

Gods forbid anyone tries to tangle with case specific pin assignments for data, and D-A converters and the like being required to convert this data outside the Apple device.

It's even worse than FireWire !! At least hardware in the device took care of thatů

Really enjoying my simple/reversible connector - so farů
albusseverus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:45 AM   #54
dfs
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: California
Maybe not so much wrong after all

[QUOTE=kd5jos;16556066]Problems in this sentence:


"It was GREAT news for me and for several developers I know. Faster data speeds means more data in real time, and less waiting for transfers. I (and the developers I know) are willing to pay a price for better. I think MANY people are."

Well, kd5jos, I find it interesting that you are making claims for Lightning that Apple doesn't appear to have made itself. When Apple announced the introduction of Lightning I don't remember it offering any explanation what if any advantages it has over the old 30-pin connection. Perhaps it did to developers, but it sure didn't to us end users. Very possibly it does offer faster data speeds, as you say and as the word Lightning might suggest. But if this is true, Apple should have told the world this from Day One. The way it was shoved at us without any justification, so that the disadvantages of this change were painfully visible and the advantages, if any, not visible at all, was a lousy exercise in public relations, and if you take the time to read all the posts in this thread you can't avoid seeing the customer resistance expressed by quite a few contributors. Sure, I can accept change. What computer user doesn't? But there's gotta be some kind of visible payoff that makes the bitter pill of obsolescence easier to swallow, and so far I, for one, can't see any. And I'm far from the only person in the world who thinks that Apple charging thirty-some bucks for an adapter makes the pill taste all the worse.
dfs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:14 AM   #55
BruceEBonus
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Derbyshire, England
Send a message via MSN to BruceEBonus
The lightning adaptor wasn't one of Apples greatest moments and you didn't have to be a medium to realise that pointless adaptor that offered no extra features than the old one would be an unmitigated disaster.

Lets hope post-Jobs Apple tone it down next year. Get the old innovation bones working again and stop the rot in 2013. The competition is increasing. 2013 won't tolerate the cock ups like 2012 did.

We shall see ....
BruceEBonus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:15 AM   #56
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium
 
KnightWRX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Quebec, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
Thought you didn't like strawman arguments? Nobody said that. Except you.

It damn well is on topic to discuss the efficacies of a product. Hardwiring the cords is not a good plan. I hope these people go back to the drawing board and make themselves a useful product.
It is useful in that it doesn't require you having the device + the necessary cords. All of it is integrated. Stop spouting your opinion as fact on this. You don't see the advantage in an integrated solution with no disconnectable parts, fine, move along.
__________________
"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others."
-- Pericles
KnightWRX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:33 PM   #57
JAT
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Mpls, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWRX View Post
It is useful in that it doesn't require you having the device + the necessary cords. All of it is integrated. Stop spouting your opinion as fact on this. You don't see the advantage in an integrated solution with no disconnectable parts, fine, move along.
Read the rules, again, Knight. You quote them often enough. Every statement here is opinion, by definition. What, you can read my mind to know that's not what I meant??!@!

And of course, you never admit to your ****ing wrongdoing. Why do you even come here just to rip on people in a questionable way??
__________________
-- Spiky
JAT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:20 PM   #58
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium
 
KnightWRX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Quebec, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
Why do you even come here just to rip on people in a questionable way??
I don't, you made a statement of fact :

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
I hope these people go back to the drawing board and make themselves a useful product.
The product is useful. It might not be what you need, but to people who want an integrated solution with no disconnectable parts, it is rather useful.

The product's usefulness is not a "matter of fact", that is simply your opinion. I'm not riping on you in a questionnable way, I'm asking you to refrain stating your opinion as a fact, since I for one do not share it.

I have to ask, why do you feel the need to rip on anything and everything not branded Apple I might ask ? If you don't like it, don't come here and state facts that are simply your opinion disguised as such. If you're going to state facts, stick to actual factual information.
__________________
"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others."
-- Pericles
KnightWRX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:10 AM   #59
princigalli
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Italy, Germany
what's wrong with micro USB used on Android devices?
__________________
www.princigalli.com
princigalli is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:09 PM   #60
JAT
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Mpls, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWRX View Post
I don't, you made a statement of fact :



The product is useful. It might not be what you need, but to people who want an integrated solution with no disconnectable parts, it is rather useful.

The product's usefulness is not a "matter of fact", that is simply your opinion. I'm not riping on you in a questionnable way, I'm asking you to refrain stating your opinion as a fact, since I for one do not share it.

I have to ask, why do you feel the need to rip on anything and everything not branded Apple I might ask ? If you don't like it, don't come here and state facts that are simply your opinion disguised as such. If you're going to state facts, stick to actual factual information.
I FIGURED IT OUT!! That dude in China was chatting on here with you. Took twice, but he finally escaped. Lucky bastard.
__________________
-- Spiky
JAT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:57 PM   #61
Dunkrag
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by princigalli View Post
what's wrong with micro USB used on Android devices?
Quite. Or even USB three - it's no thicker.

Lightning has been the most cynical Apple move I can remember.
Dunkrag is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:24 PM   #62
Lil Chillbil
macrumors 65816
 
Lil Chillbil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: California
Typical apple not getting it right before release
__________________
Check out my youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheKull101
Mac skinned pc Luna netbook
Lil Chillbil is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
30 pin > lightning connector.. any unofficial ones that transmit sound?? davie18 iPhone 3 Mar 31, 2013 07:29 PM
Unofficial 30-Pin Dock Connector and Micro-USB Lightning Adapters Coming Soon MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 26 Nov 15, 2012 04:08 AM
iPhone 5 Lightning 8 pin to USB connector cable daytona iPhone Accessories 2 Oct 22, 2012 12:32 PM
Apple's Lightning Connector Uses Adaptive Technology to Dynamically Assign Pin Functions MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 390 Oct 16, 2012 12:29 AM
Lightning Dock connector (9 pin) eagandale4114 iPhone 9 Sep 12, 2012 01:28 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:32 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC