Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jakeruston

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2010
The Netherlands
There's nothing wrong with lightning, but they seriously need to get a move on with allowing companies to use it.

So little devices available right now.

kd5jos

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Denver, CO
So much wrong in one place...

Now just suppose you were the manufacturer of something to which an iOS device docks (could be anything ranging from a charging station to high-end medical equipment) and you woke up one day to read in the newspaper that by Apple's fiat your product was now obsolescent, even if you might happen to have three warehouses full of the damn things, and that to stay in business you needed to redesign your product and retool your assembly line.

Problems in this sentence:
1) Every iOS device in the marketplace didn't just suddenly convert to a lightening adapter

2) You assume that no manufacturer has ever heard of JIT manufacturing.

3) You assume every manufacturer that makes everything is in every market. This may encourage them to go into a new foreign market where the lightening connector doesn't exist (as a possible solution to the problem).

4) You assume that companies that manufacture don't have strategies to deal with this.

The fact is, if this is a problem, it can cause interesting solutions, or what we in the tech community call INNOVATION. And for the record, a manufacturing company that doesn't expect things like this, deserves to die off. It's a BAD THING to not have a strategy to deal with change, and be a tech company.

If you think the sudden switch to Lightning is bad news for individual consumers like us, consider how awful it is for developers!

It was GREAT news for me and for several developers I know. Faster data speeds means more data in real time, and less waiting for transfers. I (and the developers I know) are willing to pay a price for better. I think MANY people are.

Yeah, I know about adapters, but I also know of a lot of products where an adapter just flat won't work, and anyway that thirty-five bucks you have to pay to get one could be called a special "pay Apple to be able to keep on using your stuff" tax.

Let me correct this for you

"pay Apple to be able to keep on using your stuff because technology has moved on and you now have more data moving through a MUCH faster cable/connector"

It would have taken a bit of the edge off for us end users if Apple included a free adapter with every new iOS device sold, but I guess all those billions being held in corporate reserve aren't enough for them.

So they should pay for you to get more/better/faster? How entitled are you?

albusseverus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2007
There's nothing wrong with lightning, but they seriously need to get a move on with allowing companies to use it.

So little devices available right now.

Thunderbolt has been a disaster in terms of adoption. And what has come out, has been pretty poor and expensive.

Lightning seems to be going down the same road. None to poor. And no wonder, if even charging becomes such an issue!

Gods forbid anyone tries to tangle with case specific pin assignments for data, and D-A converters and the like being required to convert this data outside the Apple device.

It's even worse than FireWire !! At least hardware in the device took care of that…

Really enjoying my simple/reversible connector - so far…

dfs

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
California
Maybe not so much wrong after all

Problems in this sentence:

"It was GREAT news for me and for several developers I know. Faster data speeds means more data in real time, and less waiting for transfers. I (and the developers I know) are willing to pay a price for better. I think MANY people are."

Well, kd5jos, I find it interesting that you are making claims for Lightning that Apple doesn't appear to have made itself. When Apple announced the introduction of Lightning I don't remember it offering any explanation what if any advantages it has over the old 30-pin connection. Perhaps it did to developers, but it sure didn't to us end users. Very possibly it does offer faster data speeds, as you say and as the word Lightning might suggest. But if this is true, Apple should have told the world this from Day One. The way it was shoved at us without any justification, so that the disadvantages of this change were painfully visible and the advantages, if any, not visible at all, was a lousy exercise in public relations, and if you take the time to read all the posts in this thread you can't avoid seeing the customer resistance expressed by quite a few contributors. Sure, I can accept change. What computer user doesn't? But there's gotta be some kind of visible payoff that makes the bitter pill of obsolescence easier to swallow, and so far I, for one, can't see any. And I'm far from the only person in the world who thinks that Apple charging thirty-some bucks for an adapter makes the pill taste all the worse.

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
The lightning adaptor wasn't one of Apples greatest moments and you didn't have to be a medium to realise that pointless adaptor that offered no extra features than the old one would be an unmitigated disaster.

Lets hope post-Jobs Apple tone it down next year. Get the old innovation bones working again and stop the rot in 2013. The competition is increasing. 2013 won't tolerate the cock ups like 2012 did.

We shall see ....

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Thought you didn't like strawman arguments? Nobody said that. Except you.

It damn well is on topic to discuss the efficacies of a product. Hardwiring the cords is not a good plan. I hope these people go back to the drawing board and make themselves a useful product.

It is useful in that it doesn't require you having the device + the necessary cords. All of it is integrated. Stop spouting your opinion as fact on this. You don't see the advantage in an integrated solution with no disconnectable parts, fine, move along.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
It is useful in that it doesn't require you having the device + the necessary cords. All of it is integrated. Stop spouting your opinion as fact on this. You don't see the advantage in an integrated solution with no disconnectable parts, fine, move along.
Read the rules, again, Knight. You quote them often enough. Every statement here is opinion, by definition. What, you can read my mind to know that's not what I meant??!@!

And of course, you never admit to your ****ing wrongdoing. Why do you even come here just to rip on people in a questionable way??

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Why do you even come here just to rip on people in a questionable way??

I don't, you made a statement of fact :

I hope these people go back to the drawing board and make themselves a useful product.

The product is useful. It might not be what you need, but to people who want an integrated solution with no disconnectable parts, it is rather useful.

The product's usefulness is not a "matter of fact", that is simply your opinion. I'm not riping on you in a questionnable way, I'm asking you to refrain stating your opinion as a fact, since I for one do not share it.

I have to ask, why do you feel the need to rip on anything and everything not branded Apple I might ask ? If you don't like it, don't come here and state facts that are simply your opinion disguised as such. If you're going to state facts, stick to actual factual information.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I don't, you made a statement of fact :

The product is useful. It might not be what you need, but to people who want an integrated solution with no disconnectable parts, it is rather useful.

The product's usefulness is not a "matter of fact", that is simply your opinion. I'm not riping on you in a questionnable way, I'm asking you to refrain stating your opinion as a fact, since I for one do not share it.

I have to ask, why do you feel the need to rip on anything and everything not branded Apple I might ask ? If you don't like it, don't come here and state facts that are simply your opinion disguised as such. If you're going to state facts, stick to actual factual information.

I FIGURED IT OUT!! That dude in China was chatting on here with you. Took twice, but he finally escaped. Lucky bastard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.