Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:50 PM   #26
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
Arn't those ovens fire hazards?
Do you often speak out of school?
Figure this, decades of sales ...
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:07 PM   #27
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
Do you often speak out of school?
Figure this, decades of sales ...
... inducted into the Toy Hall of Fame in 2006.

Do they often honor dangerous fire traps?
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:23 PM   #28
Ugg
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Ugg
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmbuff View Post
Good idea IMO. I know more men that like to cook than women, this is actually a potentially popular toy for boys, and it was a bad idea for Hasbro to try to force baking on girls and exclude boys.
Exactly. It's sad that so many posters are making this into a PC issue. Cooking is not a gender specific task. Why do so many posters haves problem with a more neutral colored EasyBake Oven?
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:30 PM   #29
SnowLeopard OSX
macrumors 6502a

Smart move on Hasbro's part. This incident could have gotten A LOT more complicated and political than it needed to be.
iPhone |4S White/16GB/ iOS 7.0|3G White/16GB iOS 4.2.1
SnowLeopard OSX is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:37 PM   #30
Hugh
macrumors Demi-God

When did these things looked that they were for only girls? I have something like that thing when I was 8, it was yellow and used a special light for the cooking. I remember making a lot of cakes. LOL

Hugh
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:18 AM   #31
Dagless
macrumors Core

Am I the only one who doesn't see the point in this?

Growing up (I'm male) I had toys for both genders. I don't know if I had an Easy Bake oven but I definitely had a big plastic kitchen thing when I was 4. Age 8 I chose a pink Fun-Fax. My sister was similar, she was the only one in our family to play with dolls and action figures, and had a mix of both. My brother used to read girls comics (along with boy comics). My girlfriend says she used to prefer Mighty Max and Action Man over Polly Pocket and Barbie. The one Barbie she did have she cut the hair into a mohican.

We all grew up to have bog-standard relationships and jobs, politically central.

It just reminds me of those people who hide their childrens genders, so the kids can decide what perceived gender they want to be. Why do that? You're just enforcing gender stereotypes. You can enjoy products designed for the opposite sex and also be a completely functioning member of society. Don't let marketing ("there's a girl on the box", "it's blue") put you off buying and enjoying something.

Or perhaps I'm just missing something obvious here .
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:23 AM   #32
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
... inducted into the Toy Hall of Fame in 2006.

Do they often honor dangerous fire traps?
If the Toy Hall of Fame is anything like the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, then they probably allow all kinds of trash in there!

I'm kidding. No, they clearly would not allow something presumably hazardous in there. I know mine caught fire because I was misusing it.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:50 PM   #33
diane143
macrumors 6502

Purple isn't manly enough?
diane143 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:51 PM   #34
robanga
macrumors 68000

Its silly that colors and design elements are associated with gender. Perhaps we should move beyond all that.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:45 PM   #35
DakotaGuy
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg View Post
Exactly. It's sad that so many posters are making this into a PC issue. Cooking is not a gender specific task. Why do so many posters haves problem with a more neutral colored EasyBake Oven?
Exactly and I think it is a great idea. I am a man and I was so excited this summer to get a new GE gas convection range in my kitchen. I'm not sure if I should admit that.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:59 AM   #36
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagless View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't see the point in this?

Growing up (I'm male) I had toys for both genders. I don't know if I had an Easy Bake oven but I definitely had a big plastic kitchen thing when I was 4. Age 8 I chose a pink Fun-Fax. My sister was similar, she was the only one in our family to play with dolls and action figures, and had a mix of both. My brother used to read girls comics (along with boy comics). My girlfriend says she used to prefer Mighty Max and Action Man over Polly Pocket and Barbie. The one Barbie she did have she cut the hair into a mohican.

We all grew up to have bog-standard relationships and jobs, politically central.

It just reminds me of those people who hide their childrens genders, so the kids can decide what perceived gender they want to be. Why do that? You're just enforcing gender stereotypes. You can enjoy products designed for the opposite sex and also be a completely functioning member of society. Don't let marketing ("there's a girl on the box", "it's blue") put you off buying and enjoying something.

Or perhaps I'm just missing something obvious here .
Very different when I was growing up, where in my family my father wouldn't let me get a GI Joe because GI Joe is a doll and dolls are for girls. I remember once for Christmas my parents bought me an ambulance (manly toy to go along with my trucks and boats and campers), which had paramedics - I guess it slipped by my father, boy was I thrilled to finally get to play with some dolls!

For me my best friend was a girl across the street and she always, always, always got the toys I wanted most of all, not the least of which was an easy bake oven. I had to play in secret with her any time we played with her girl toys so my father wouldn't lose a gasket.
WilliamLondon is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues