Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sclough

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2008
Kansas City, MO
I'm just curious if anyone else is having problems with their T-Mobile service in an area that has been updated. I've had two iPhone's on T-Mobile through Wal-Mart's "My Family Mobile" for some time now. They've always worked great except for the fact that the phone is limited to the Edge network.

Now suddenly in the last few days I'm constantly getting no signal or a signal but calls and texts won't go through. I would think it's my phone, but it started happening to my wife's iPhone as well. Both are 3GS, but hers is factory unlocked, mine jailbroken and it seems odd that it's happening to both. I took my phone to the Genuis Bar and they couldn't find anything wrong with it.

Then I found this random post where someone complains that their unlocked phone on T-Mobile's network started having problems after the network was upgraded and they switched to Straight Talk's AT&T option and the problems went away - http://consumerist.com/2012/07/09/t-mobile-signal-finally-fails-on-my-unlocked-iphone/

I just found it interesting because we live in Kansas City and it was just updated by T-Mobile presumably for the new iPhone. It seems odd that I would start getting worse service because T-Mobile is trying to improve their network for the iPhone so I'm just curious if anyone else is having this problem. If nothing changes in the next few days though, I'm probably going to be forced to switch to Straight Talk.

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
It was like that for me for a few days at and around my home town but now I have full strength 3G coverage. Maybe wait it out?

sclough

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2008
Kansas City, MO
Hmm. Maybe I'll wait a few days. My phone is both personal and work though, so if it doesn't correct soon I'll have to do something.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
This is the first time I'm hearing about this. How are iPhone 4/4S/5 holding up in the network in Kansas? Keep us updated on whether or not you or your wife are able to get service again.

sclough

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2008
Kansas City, MO
Just an update for anyone else in this situation since it's been a week since I first starting constantly losing a signal and the ability to receive calls and texts. The first 2-3 were horrible. Then I had the ability to call/text probably 50-60% of the time for a day or so. Now things seem to be mostly working. However, there is one problem. I still see my phone periodically lose all bars and then, within a few seconds, regain a signal. It sounds like the phone is still having to work more than normal to connect. The side effect of this is that the battery is being drained in the same way it is when you are in an area without service and your phone constantly searches for a signal. In my case, the phone barely holds a charge half a day. We will see if things improve because that's not workable for me in the long-term. It's weird to see how "improving" a network could cause so many problems here in Kansas City.

ProudLoz

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
Just an update for anyone else in this situation since it's been a week since I first starting constantly losing a signal and the ability to receive calls and texts. The first 2-3 were horrible. Then I had the ability to call/text probably 50-60% of the time for a day or so. Now things seem to be mostly working. However, there is one problem. I still see my phone periodically lose all bars and then, within a few seconds, regain a signal. It sounds like the phone is still having to work more than normal to connect. The side effect of this is that the battery is being drained in the same way it is when you are in an area without service and your phone constantly searches for a signal. In my case, the phone barely holds a charge half a day. We will see if things improve because that's not workable for me in the long-term. It's weird to see how "improving" a network could cause so many problems here in Kansas City.

Dude, they're re-configuring their antennas, how do you expect not to be affected by it? Just wait it out, if it becomes a problem contact T-Mobile and see if they're still working on those antennas near you. If they are, wait it out. If not, change hardware to confirm that it's also not just your phone.

sclough

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2008
Kansas City, MO
I'm waiting it out at this point. I don't think it's the phone because my wife's iPhone and mine are both affected and both have run perfectly in the same area for 2 years.

What's weird to me is that one other phone we have that's just a "dumb phone" on the same account is completely unaffected. I could understand if the 3G data went in and out but I don't understand why the signal is coming and going on iPhones, but doesn't seem to be on other phones.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Poor quality network that is being overloaded because of all the iPhones.

Switch to StraightTalk and jump on a better network

sclough

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2008
Kansas City, MO
If you shut off data and 3G and run the network on Edge only, does it still loose tower connection?

I don't think turning off 3G has much of an effect either way. It's now holding a signal for the most part. I'm just trying to figure out why my battery is draining in half a day. Maybe my battery is dying at the same time, it just seems like a really odd coincidence.

----------

Poor quality network that is being overloaded because of all the iPhones.

Switch to StraightTalk and jump on a better network

I've considered that, but I'm going to give it some time as I've got a better deal than StraightTalk. I've been on T-Mobile's network for years, with over two years of that with iPhones, and I haven't had any problems.

smitty303

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2012
Colorado
I recently started using an unlocked iPhone 4 on the monthly 4G service and have noticed this loss of signal thing to in multiple locations. By multiple locations, I mean different states. First, at home in Colorado, I noticed that when home at night, my phone would drop in and out of service over a span of a half hour or so. It was strange because just prior to,losing signal I would be getting full bars with the phone just sitting still on the couch. I would glance down and see no service, then it would pop back in. I also noticed that sometimes I would get 3G instead of edge. I attributed this to the refarming effort, not knowing any better. Recently, having traveled to Ohio for Christmas, I've noticed a similar thing happening in the mornings where I'd be getting full bars on edge, then no service. So, maybe it still is refarming because I've seen spots of 3G service when traveling around town.

I'm still betting on refarming work. Seems logical. But I will keep an eye on it in case it's something else. For $30 a month, I'll stick with it for a while.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.