Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Ok thanks. Hope they release a UK version soon, exactly what I need.

I suggest ringing Nest and inquiring about future International support. From the article(s) I've read, they absolutely took inquiries and suggestions seriously, leading to the improvements in ver 2.0 (such as multi-stage support in higher end HVAC systems, etc). When I phoned last year inquiring about ver 1.0, the rep took my info and I was contacted by Nest a few weeks later regarding my Trane HVAC system and what they needed to do to support it. I phoned again yesterday and spoke with the same rep from last year; she informed me that all the collected data was taken into account to improve support for this newer model.

Almost forgot, when asking about multi-zone support, she hinted that satellite models may become available. Thus you would only need the main Nest thermostat and less expensive "satellite" nests to communicate their readings in different zones to the master unit. Seems like a great idea.

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
I suggest ringing Nest and inquiring about future International support. From the article(s) I've read, they absolutely took inquiries and suggestions seriously, leading to the improvements in ver 2.0 (such as multi-stage support in higher end HVAC systems, etc). When I phoned last year inquiring about ver 1.0, the rep took my info and I was contacted by Nest a few weeks later regarding my Trane HVAC system and what they needed to do to support it. I phoned again yesterday and spoke with the same rep from last year; she informed me that all the collected data was taken into account to improve support for this newer model.

Almost forgot, when asking about multi-zone support, she hinted that satellite models may become available. Thus you would only need the main Nest thermostat and less expensive "satellite" nests to communicate their readings in different zones to the master unit. Seems like a great idea.

Yeah I've emailed them requesting a high voltage version. Considering that low voltage systems are really only common in the USA, they'd be wise to make a high voltage version.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
I like the design. Very minimalist -- something I'd expect from a former Apple industrial designer. The price tag is just too high, though. Especially for a thermostat out of all things. Pretty innovative product, though. I'll give it that.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I like the design. Very minimalist -- something I'd expect from a former Apple industrial designer. The price tag is just too high, though. Especially for a thermostat out of all things. Pretty innovative product, though. I'll give it that.

Expensive for a thermostat? I guess so. But when most people spend a couple of thousand dollars a year or much more on heating and cooling costs, and a new furnace may run $10,000, $250 on a thermostat doesn't seem like much of an extravagance.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Expensive for a thermostat? I guess so. But when most people spend a couple of thousand dollars a year or much more on heating and cooling costs, and a new furnace may run $10,000, $250 on a thermostat doesn't seem like much of an extravagance.

Our Trane HVAC system cost well over $10,000 (not including the instant water/filtration system). This was with the $1500 NYS credit. It's been ~three years (wow, time flies), and we've seen our bills almost cut in half in our custom 8 year old home with an 18 SEER (previously had a York the builder installed, terrible systems; expensive as they may be - Trane/Rheem systems pay for themselves in a few years). Utilizing the newer Nest with multi-stage support will make up for the $250 cost with even better energy efficiency. In the end, long term costs should be taken into account per home. This is an investment.

----------

Yeah I've emailed them requesting a high voltage version. Considering that low voltage systems are really only common in the USA, they'd be wise to make a high voltage version.

Absolutely, there's a large international market waiting to be tapped into. An easy to install thermostat that takes the guess work out of home energy usage while lowering costs and the global carbon footprint is a no brainer. This would work beautifully in smaller homes such as most European and Japanese homes.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005

I think somewhere on their site they say in effect that since they are trying to keep the user experience so high (especially the installation) they have necessarily had to limit the regions they released it in initially.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Trane/Rheem systems pay for themselves in a few years)

Trane/Rheem is good, but the brand has nothing to do with a system paying for itself in a few years. I just put in a new Amana system (yes I know some consider anything Goodman garbage) but it has an excellent warranty and is good quality stuff for the price. Anyhow I could not afford Trane, Rheem or Carrier so I ended up going the Amana route.

What makes a system pay for itself is the efficiency. I went from an old Natural Gas that was at best 60% efficient to a new 95% furnace. It will too pay for itself in a few years. I added central air to it, but only did a 13 SEER because our cooling season is so short where I live. I did not do a heat pump because my house is old so not insulted as well and our average winter temps are low.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
I'm curious to how this works, because I already have I guess a "smart" house. I can control everything electronic wise through my iPhone. So, if I got this, it replaces my new thermostat? House was built this year.

Do you put one in each room or the main rooms? Like entry way, bedroom, living room?

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Trane/Rheem is good, but the brand has nothing to do with a system paying for itself in a few years. I just put in a new Amana system (yes I know some consider anything Goodman garbage) but it has an excellent warranty and is good quality stuff for the price. Anyhow I could not afford Trane, Rheem or Carrier so I ended up going the Amana route.

Amana is great, it was one of the four we were considering. We decided on the Trane system as the HVAC company priced out an 18 SEER system for the same amount of money a comparable Amana would cost, and threw in a few extra's from Trane. :)

nielsll

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2007
I have a five zone home that I converted from a standard type programmable (correctly programmed) to nests. I live in the CA desert and looking at my utility bills, year to year, over the June-Sept. span I figure they paid for themselves in one season. They seem to learn how your house really works and match cycles to more economically cool it. Heating is not a real concern for me. The internet access is a great feature when you have an unusual schedule. When away for a few days, you just tell it when you want your programmed temp and it just works.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Amana is great, it was one of the four we were considering. We decided on the Trane system as the HVAC company priced out an 18 SEER system for the same amount of money a comparable Amana would cost, and threw in a few extra's from Trane. :)

Interesting you got such a good price on a Trane. Anyhow yes I am very happy with my Amana system. The savings on gas are amazing. At least 1/2 of what I used before. I can't imagine how much energy we could save in our country if everyone was running one of these new systems.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Doesn't it cost you more to constantly re-heat or re-cool your house vs just having it come on every so often to keep the temperature constant?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Doesn't it cost you more to constantly re-heat or re-cool your house vs just having it come on every so often to keep the temperature constant?

It really depends on the particular system, but for the most case, no. Forced air systems virtually always save energy. Most older furnaces of any type save energy. Some modern radiant systems with high-mass emitters and/or highly efficient boilers that are most efficient at low output, yes, that is probably true.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
So Nest would not be effiecient for a home with large dogs that run by the device every hour?

Interesting question, thanks for asking. I have two German Shepherds that gave my ADT alarm system nightmares until they finally gave up on motion sensors downstairs and swapped everything to glass breakage for just your reason.

The alarm system was just N+1 anyway though, the Shepherds will just wait quietly for you to enter then flag you as prey :)

GaresTaylan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2009
Thank goodness this came out before a new Mac Pro. :rolleyes:

Since apple didn't make nest like they do the Mac Pro this makes no sense. Apples to oranges adding stock of a product made elsewhere vs overhauling a product you make, mass producing it and then getting it to stores.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Just installed version 2.0 on our Trane HVAC system. Most definitely the easiest install/upgrade I've ever done.

One note: Our thermostat had S1 and S2 wires - these are for indoor and outdoor sensors. As the Nest thermostat uses WiFi for current outdoor conditions and a built-in indoor sensor, any S-wiring does not need to be connected. Simply leave it be, electrical tape it if you must but unnecessary for a low-voltage system.

Our 2-state heating and cooling HVAC system is up and running with our new Nest thermostat. Loving it so far. :)

Merry Christmas!

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada

I think the point is that a $50 thermostat will do the job just as good...

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005

Maybe, but considering that this product was developed specifically to address the shortcomings of those $50 thermostats, I have to somewhat disagree. The Nest may not save any money over a $50 unit programmed in the same way as the Nest, but the latter is infinitely easier to use, and provides a lot of functionality that the cheaper unit doesn't. And the potential is there that the Nest will save money, even over a programmed unit, as it continues to learn over time.

drummingcraig

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
"Armpit of the South"

Please link me to a $50 thermostat that has wifi connectivity, remote control from anywhere via app support for Android and iOS, comes with simple firmware upgradeability and has dynamic capabilities (learns and adapts to users habits).

If you can, I would love to see it, but I doubt it exists.

One could also say, "Why buy a $25,000 car when a $2,500 go-cart would do the job just as well". :rolleyes:

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
Please link me to a $50 thermostat that has wifi connectivity, remote control from anywhere via app support for Android and iOS, comes with simple firmware upgradeability and has dynamic capabilities (learns and adapts to users habits).

If you can, I would love to see it, but I doubt it exists.

One could also say, "Why buy a $25,000 car when a $2,500 go-cart would do the job just as well". :rolleyes:

Except I think it's all a gimmick, a forced air system without zoning isn't that effective in managing temperatures across multiple floors. Also, not to mention, the Nest only has a single sensor and cannot effectively monitor a whole house.

Basically these features are gimmicky targeted towards the tech user.

Now, if homes had zoned HVAC and the nest could control each room independently that would be amazing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.